• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What is your favorite Special Sweeper?

Lord Yawgmoth

Lord of all Phyrexia
Years
  • Gengar, because he's old-school and really cool looking.
    Porygon-Z, because he's incredibly powerful and looks like a Porygon 2 on crack.
    Heatran, because he worked well in my old Sandstorm team. Plus he's extremely cool.

MCD

Years
  • Gengar.
    Out of pure chance, my Gengar ended up having the same moveset as Marriland's :F
    As well as the Petaya Berry.

Cynic Kaka

Credentials.
    Years
  • Gengar.
    Out of pure chance, my Gengar ended up having the same moveset as Marriland's :F
    As well as the Petaya Berry.

Wow, another Marriland n00b

and Dunder; I was asking Glaceon was SS;

I'm not sure this dude even knows what SS is

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • Yeah, I don't one the pc anymore ethier... Anyways, Gallade would be good with maybe leaf blade, night slash, or psycho cut. Give him a scope lens which will raise his critical hit ratio and the moves already have high ratios.
    Psycho Cut, Night Slash, Leaf Blade...
    Do any of those moves fall in the "Special" category? No. Now tell me, how on earth can a Pokemon with all physical moves specially sweep.
    Absol with Super Luck and Night Slash with Scopes Lens = Pure ownage.
    Same as the comment above. Night Slash is not a move that falls under the "special" category. How on earth can it specially sweep?
    Honckrow can also do exact same, too. I did before with a battle against my friend, pretty much beat him to a pulp.
    Basically the same as Absol. Oh, and they're not special sweepers.
    I allways liked glaceon and alakazam.
    Glaceon and gengar are my favorite Sweepers.
    Glaceon would be very with hail and with his snow cloak ability.
    Glaceon'd be great on a Hail Team.
    My god, how in the world is Glaceon a special sweeper? Does a Pokemon with a 65 speed stat seem like a special sweeper to you? Sure, it may have a great special attack stat, but the special attack stat alone does not make a Pokemon a sweeper. Speed stat is also a main issue. It almost always has to have a good speed stat.

Special Sweeper - A Pokemon who can deal a good amount of damage through the use of moves under the "special" category. Special Sweepers almost always have a high speed stat (if not, a move that boosts its speed stat). Most good special sweepers would have a move in its moveset that boosts its special attack, such as Calm Mind or Nasty Plot. A special sweeper is hard to wall because of the massive damage that it can inflict, and the high speed that is hard to outrun.

Glaceon, Gallade, Honchkrow, Absol... none of them fall under this category.
    --------
    My personal favorite special sweeper happens to be Gorebyss. Now, it may have a low speed stat but it does have Swift Swim. When used in the rain, it outspeeds almost everything and inflicts a great deal of damage through a STAB + Rain boosted Surf / Hydropump. Even through a not-very-effective attack, Gorebyss still gets a good deal of damage through. Gorebyss is also coupled with a very nice Defense stat, which enables it to switch into some rampaging physical attacker with ease. Gorebyss really hasn't been seen in the standard competitive battle field because it is of the UU tier. However, I use Gorebyss on my UU rain dance team and it has won me battles in even the Smogon OU ladder. Gorebyss's filler moves of Hidden Power [ELECTRIC] and Icebeam allow it to hit almost every Pokemon for neutral damage.

Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2014
    Gengar, Espeon, Alakazam and Roserade are my favorites. Infernape is nice too.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    I totaly love alakazam. You can teach it good moves that will make up for his other low stats except his good speed. Gengar really cool... I know I said that alot.

Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2014
    Alakazam has great Sp. attack. Roserade is my official favorite after sweeping Volkner. Utterly.

PKDante

Mr Legs
    Years
  • Psycho Cut, Night Slash, Leaf Blade...Do any of those moves fall in the "Special" category? No. Now tell me, how on earth can a Pokemon with all physical moves specially sweep. Same as the comment above. Night Slash is not a move that falls under the "special" category. How on earth can it specially sweep?Basically the same as Absol. Oh, and they're not special sweepers.My god, how in the world is Glaceon a special sweeper? Does a Pokemon with a 65 speed stat seem like a special sweeper to you? Sure, it may have a great special attack stat, but the special attack stat alone does not make a Pokemon a sweeper. Speed stat is also a main issue. It almost always has to have a good speed stat.

Special Sweeper - A Pokemon who can deal a good amount of damage through the use of moves under the "special" category. Special Sweepers almost always have a high speed stat (if not, a move that boosts its speed stat). Most good special sweepers would have a move in its moveset that boosts its special attack, such as Calm Mind or Nasty Plot. A special sweeper is hard to wall because of the massive damage that it can inflict, and the high speed that is hard to outrun.

--------
    My personal favorite special sweeper happens to be Gorebyss. Now, it may have a low speed stat but it does have Swift Swim. When used in the rain, it outspeeds almost everything and inflicts a great deal of damage through a STAB + Rain boosted Surf / Hydropump. Even through a not-very-effective attack, Gorebyss still gets a good deal of damage through. Gorebyss is also coupled with a very nice Defense stat, which enables it to switch into some rampaging physical attacker with ease. Gorebyss really hasn't been seen in the standard competitive battle field because it is of the UU tier. However, I use Gorebyss on my UU rain dance team and it has won me battles in even the Smogon OU ladder. Gorebyss's filler moves of Hidden Power [ELECTRIC] and Icebeam allow it to hit almost every Pokemon for neutral damage.

I was wondering when someone would point out a lot of the pokemon mentioned weren't special sweepers!

I thought of another good one that hasn't been mentioned...Starmie!

Starmie is an awesome special sweeper!

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    I really like zap cannon for a special move for magnezone and with lock-on.

Psycho Cut, Night Slash, Leaf Blade...Do any of those moves fall in the "Special" category? No. Now tell me, how on earth can a Pokemon with all physical moves specially sweep. Same as the comment above. Night Slash is not a move that falls under the "special" category. How on earth can it specially sweep?Basically the same as Absol. Oh, and they're not special sweepers.My god, how in the world is Glaceon a special sweeper? Does a Pokemon with a 65 speed stat seem like a special sweeper to you? Sure, it may have a great special attack stat, but the special attack stat alone does not make a Pokemon a sweeper. Speed stat is also a main issue. It almost always has to have a good speed stat.

--------
    I know what a special sweeper is, doesn't everyone know, and we were talking about a good moveset for gallade.o_O

Last edited:
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    If you give him good evs in speed, and a nature with raising in speed, then he can be a special sweeper, decent. I am not saying he can be an excellent special sweeper, bu he can decent.

You mentioned Glaceon here and in a couple of other posts, it gives the impression you didn't have quite the right idea, that's probably why he tried to correct you.
    Just forget about glaceon please and just tell me what your favorite special sweeper. I know what a special sweeper is. If it is not what I think it is, then serebii, marriland, and smogon are wrong, too. I read up on them and learned about them 2 years ago.

Last edited:

PKDante

Mr Legs
    Years
  • I'm not that fussed, I was just stating why he tried to correct you,though a Choice scarf Glaceon would fit the bill espescially in UU.

I'm sticking with Starmie it's speed and type coverage are awesome!

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    I'm not that fussed, I was just stating why he tried to correct you,though a Choice scarf Glaceon would fit the bill espescially in UU.

I'm sticking with Starmie it's speed and type coverage are awesome!
    Sorry... Yeah I do have a starmie in team. He is a good screener, I know that is off topic. Sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyy about the conversation...

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Perap.

This little birdy saw alot of improvements in Platinum:

Special Movepool:
    Chatter
    Uproar
    Hyper Voice
    Hidden Power
    Ominous Wind
    Snore
    Swift
    Heat Wave
    Mud-Slap
    Twister
    Night Shade

The only truly usable ones here are Chatter, Hyper Voice, Hidden Power, Ominous WInd, and Heat Wave.

Notable Supporting Movepool:
    Sing
    Taunt
    Roost
    Featherdance
    Substitute
    Encore
    Nasty Plot
    Agility

Nasty Plot and Agility are illegal Together, but NP is always the superior Choice

I usually use these sets:

Perap@Life Orb
    Modest/Timid
    Hyper Voice
    Nasty Plot
    Heat Wave
    Chatter/HP Flying

Perap@Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
    Modest/Timid
    Hyper Voice
    Chatter/HP Flying
    Heat Wave
    Ominous Wind/HP Ground.

Not the stongest, but it's quite fun to use.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Catot (if you are talking about him?) he does make a decent special sweeper.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Cool, I never really looked into japanese names, unless it is mightyena or aggron (kinda forgot).

.emerald

☆ + ♥
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2014
    Well, generally I would choose
    What is your favorite Special Sweeper?

But Gengar & Alakazam are alright as well...

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Cool, I never really looked into japanese names, unless it is mightyena or aggron (kinda forgot).

Their Japanese names is how I remeber them, As I knew them all before D/P's English Release.

So when I name my favorite D/P Pokemon, I say "Dootakun", not "Bronzong"

Nokocchi/Dunsparce is still my #1 Favorite, though :3

Back