• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is your favourite Sonic the Hedgehog game?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • From modern to classic Sonic, Sonic the Hedgehog is our fast blue and snarky friend who has his great games, aaand his not so great games, but alas, this topic is asking you for your favourites!

Which Sonic the Hedgehog game do you enjoy playing the most, and why?

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • OH MY GOD THAT LOOKS LIKE A... wait that's way to low res to be Sonic '06. Nevermind! I was about to get my whip and holy water there! That was a close one!

In terms of my favorite Sonic the Hedgehog game, it's a tie between Sonic CD and Sonic 2. Sonic 2 was one of if not the first game I ever played, and it has colorful visuals, amazing music, and even cut content like Hidden Palace and Wood Zone! Geez I used to wonder so much about that as a kid... I even got the beta ROMs with the cut content in there! It also was one of the first games I ever played with a Debug mode enabled, and that was fun as heck to toy around with. And it had Tails! Back when he could still spindash and fly a plane!

Sonic CD on the other hand is maybe one of the best built worlds I've ever seen, and it's an amazing feat in video gaming. You can travel forward to the future or backward to the past and the environment and music of each individual zone changes with each time warp. You can make the future better than it was or leave it, and it had some of the sweetest tunes in a Sonic game, or really any game. It's so good it has two separate soundtracks! Even if Tails isn't in there it's ludicrously awesome, and I'd play it any day.

Zoroark Cutie

The Illusion Fox Skyfarer
    Years
  • I am probably going to be the only person to say that my favorite Sonic game is Shadow The Hedgehog. I honestly did enjoy and love it. I didn't mind the guns, I didn't mind the cursing, I didn't mind the darker tone, I didn't mind that characters can end up dying, and I overall had a lot of fun with its gameplay and I loved that there were multiple paths and endings.

If that game doesn't count since Shadow is the main protagonist, then my favorite would be Sonic Generations. I have played many Sonic games, but I didn't finish most of them, so between all the ones that I have finished, I ended up enjoying Sonic Generations the most. I ended up going back to it many times, and while I did enjoy the 3D stages a bit more than the 2D stages, I enjoyed both types of stages. I also liked that the original Sonic game is also in it.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I rented Sonic Adventure DX when I was a kid and loved the Chao Garden. Is that a good reason for it to be my favorite? Probably not...but there you go.

I really like Sonic despite not playing a lot of his games, though. I have really been wanting to get into more of the games in the series, but I just haven't found the time. I have Sonic Adventure 2 Battle for GameCube, but my copy doesn't work so I'm bummed about that and YES I know that it's not considered that great of a game but whatever, I still want to give it a fair shot. Plus...Chao Garden.

I type this while lying under my Sonic throw blanket. js.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • Sonic was such a big thing for me in my childhood so this question is pretty tough for me. I'd have to say all-time favourite would be Sonic Riders for the PS2 (and when I mean Sonic Riders I mean just the first one - second and third weren't that great). I had the most fun playing it, especially with my younger cousins and I still do nowdays!

Also Sonic the Fighters was hella fun back in the days. I wish they had made something like this again.
    Started Generations pretty recently and am loving it so far! So that deserves a mention too!

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 5, 2024
    Sonic and Goku are easily the biggest fictional influences on my life.
    Sonic's attitude is just awesome & I love the fact Goku never single-handedly defeats a villain in Z. (Freiza being the exception.)
    Because of this I'm gonna have to give it to Sonic Heroes, though adventure 2 battle is a close second.

I adore the teamwork aspect(Though admittedly it could have been executed better)

Yukari

I rented Sonic Adventure DX when I was a kid and loved the Chao Garden. Is that a good reason for it to be my favorite? Probably not...but there you go.
    Lets be honest here: the only reason most people love the Adventure games is because of the Chao Garden.

Anywho, I'd have to say my favorite is Sonic 3 & Knuckles. To this day it's still one of my favorite platformers ever. Really.

Hi!

or some say Kosm...
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 3, 2017
    Sonic Adventure 2 is for some reason one of the most fondly-looked-back-upon games ever that actually wasn't that good. Nostalgia is a powerful thing, going back to play it is kinda difficult because the whole game is so damn JANKY. Chao garden is good and the Sonic/Shadow levels are pretty good but the rest of the game is.........................................not great. Game is buggy as fuck too.

Personally, going by nostalgia I would have said the two Sonic Adventure games because I had an AMAZING time playing them as a kid but... they're not very good. I'd probably say Generations in terms of how much fun I had. Regrettably never got a chance to play any of the 2D ones aside from Sonic The Hedgehog which is pretty dated.

Yukari

Sonic Adventure 2 is for some reason one of the most fondly-looked-back-upon games ever that actually wasn't that good. Nostalgia is a powerful thing, going back to play it is kinda difficult because the whole game is so damn JANKY. Chao garden is good and the Sonic/Shadow levels are pretty good but the rest of the game is.........................................not great. Game is buggy as fuck too.

This is honestly a great review of the game. From now I will always share this with anybody who says that it is a great game.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Sonic Adventure DX is my absolute favorite. I spent hours in the chao garden just messing around and filling it with as many of the adorable little bastards as possible. I also had the GBA game that you could link with it, so I spent a lot of time playing that too because it gave me special chao that I couldn't find in adventure.

But following close behind SADX is Shadow the hedgehog. I never really played it to completion, as in I did one or two routes and then since I was terrible at games I could never get through any other one and just kept doing the same thing over and over. But I remember it was a lot of fun if you didn't look too deep into it. It's a shame my disc is too scratched to even load.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • I haven't been able to play many of the older Sonic games, but I thoroughly enjoyed Sonic Heroes & Shadow The Hedgehog. Fun games for the PS2 at any rate. I have both Sonic Adventure games sitting on my PS3's hard drive yearning to be played, though.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Sonic Adventure 2 is for some reason one of the most fondly-looked-back-upon games ever that actually wasn't that good. Nostalgia is a powerful thing, going back to play it is kinda difficult because the whole game is so damn JANKY. Chao garden is good and the Sonic/Shadow levels are pretty good but the rest of the game is.........................................not great. Game is buggy as fuck too.

did you watch that projared video recently or is this pure coincidence

edit: someone beat me to that reference haha

Years
  • Ehh, I was never much of a Sonic fan. I owned several games, such as Sonic Heroes, Sonic Rush, Sonic Colors, and Sonic Riders (if that really counts).

I think my favorite out of the games I've played is Sonic Heroes. Unfortunately I don't remember too much of it, since it's been years since I've played it, but I do remember it being pretty fun. I liked playing as the different teams, it was pretty interesting.

Yukari

I find it kinda weird that so many people are mentioning Shadow the Hedgehog.

It wasn't... "Awful" but it was still pretty bad.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Praise the lord that I saw at least one post for some of the older - Genesis/Mega Drive etc. - Sonic games!!!

For me the entire franchise has taken a humongous drop since SA2B and I'm not even going to go into the abomination that is Sonic '06.

My favourites (I can't choose just one, sorry!) have to be Sonic 1 and Sonic CD!!! For something so simple they are pretty damn great and with the best soundtrack to boot (but then SEGA are renowned for fantastic soundtracks across the board).

I've never played Sonic CD because I've never owned a Sega CD (which was fortunate since it wasn't all that hot). It's in my list of games to play. Nowadays you can do it with a PC instead of lugging around a fully upgraded Genesis.

Funny thing, the full Genesis set (console, Sega CD and 32X) required three power cables, since each part used its own supply. Horrible compromise from Sega.

Back