• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is your HM Slave?

Years
  • Everyone has one. Which did you choose? I've been using a linoone I got off wonder trade. I love using linoone because of it's pick up ability

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2014
    Mine was bunnelby which evolved into Diggersby and besides having 3 HMs also had Earthquake so could put some damage out in a pinch (exp. share meant he mostly kept up with the rest of my team). :)

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • HM Slaves.

I usually had 3, a flying-type for Defog/Fly, rock-type for the physical HMs, and a water-type/water starter (the starter I pick most) for water-type HMs, particularly Surf.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    For me, it's Biberal. It's not very hard to find or catch, and could learn a variety of HMs all at once; very convenient. :3 Lately, though, I've been trying not to use any HM slaves at all, and spread these kind of moves throughout my entire team. That way, I wouldn't be wasting any Pokémon slot. This topic is sort of broad, by the way, so I'm moving it over to Pokémon Gaming Central.

Thread moved.

Years
  • I try not to use them when I can, though I do usually keep one on hand after I've beaten the main story, just for ease of exploring. The most recent one that I used was in White 2, and it was a Smeargle. Sure, that probably wasn't the smartest use of one, and it was tedious to make it learn the moves (going into the dark grass for double battles and then attacking it with my other Pokemon), but at least it knew how to Fly!

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    I don't use HM slaves during normal playthroughs. On challenges though, I might keep an HM slave or two. It depends. :)

Tek

Years
  • I never used to have an HM buddy, but recently I've started using one. Helps with challenges. Starters are often a good choice since they can usually learn several HMs.

On HG, I've actually got a trio of HM carriers to get me around. I've got a Flygon with Dig, Fly, Strength and Rock Smash, a Dragonite with Cut, Surf, Waterfall, and Whirlpool, and a Sinjoh Ruins Giratina with Rock Climb. Just realized Flash is missing >.<

When I start SS here soon, I'll be using Feraligatr and Furret. I can get all the moves aside from Fly and Flash with those two. And really, I shouldn't need either of those moves.

Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2017
    I usually use Wailmer/Wailord if there's one to catch. It can learn Surf, Waterfall, Dive, Strength & Rock Smash, so it's really great.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    I guess Pachirisu which I gave Cut purely because I needed the move at the moment and didn't want to give a party member it.

The others are
    Blastoise: Surf which is on my team
    Lapras: Rock Smash, not on my team
    I haven't given anyone Fly, Strength or Flash. I could get an hmslave for Fly but honestly I haven't felt the need to go back to any city I'd already been to.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    A Swanna with Dive/Fly/Surf/Waterfall is ideal. My starter will have Cut/Strength since they can always learn those moves.
    Neither are kept on-team; I'll usually return to areas with HM users after clearing the trainers.

Lately, though, I've been trying not to use any HM slaves at all, and spread these kind of moves throughout my entire team.
    While it's a nice idea, it gets boring very quickly since one is forced to use up move slots for HMs, which hardly differ between each generation. All HMs do is kill team moveset variety, imo.

Last edited:

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Am I the only that doesn't use HM slaves? I distribute the HMs through my party and erase them when I don't need them anymore. Some HMs like Surf, or fly, or maybe strength, I'll keep through the whole game because they're not bad at all.
    I have, however, used HM slaves before. In RSE Tropius and Spheal are the best HM slaves ever. Look at their moves and you'll see.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • My starter is usually subject to the most HM's. I know Feraligatr almost always has all of it's moves HM's for me. Strength Waterfall Surf and Cut make him just useful enough to complete the game without having to visit a move deleter and relearn anything.

Back