• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is your ideal Pokemon game?

Retom

Retomplay on Youtube
    Years
    A game where there are more choices in battle as in anime

Like using an attack on water with making it rain or something or doing an attack on the water which makes the pokemon come out of the water or if a pokemon is attacking let it grab it and do seismic toss or not depend on turns but time

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    One where I can go on the SS Anne's supposed world tour. Watching it leave when I had a genuine ticket for it was always depressing. This naturally implicates multiple regions and a very long game... anything else, I don't know. I'm probably not that bothered about the details, or I like to be surprised by the franchise.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
    Years
    My ideal pokemon game would be a game with three reigons kanto, johto and kalos. Travelling through all three reigons collecting eight badges in each region and participating in three different pokemon leagues

Years
    What I want in a Pokemon Game... Well, what I want probably would never work in reality.. but as far as actual game mechanics go..

A total overhaul on the PC system. I would like to physically walk into a pen and see all my caught critters in it like some kind of stables or something and interact with them (which could then turn into a more indepth version of Pokemon-Aime) .. The whole PC thing just seems arcaic and kind of less intimate where it really doesn't need to be so much.. obivious flaws of course is the sheer volume of Pokemon in the game already, so this would turn into quite the nightmare to make real. Option B, just make the PC storage thing less of a pain in the ass to use. Anyone who's done massive breeding projects know exactly what I mean.

But, perhaps my biggest bugbear with Pokemon Games really comes down to the story. Because I see them try to actually tell some kind of epic story, and then not really to commit to it very well for one reason or another. One could argue that Pokemon is more geared to a younger set, and I get that.. but I kind of think that's just an excuse for poor writing. Which is sad seeing a company like Gamefreak not really giving a crap about what they make.. For the record though, they have been doing better. I had a good time in Pokemon XY just running around with my crew and learning about each of them.. albeit they all were barely fleshed out, 1 dimensional Pokemon NPCs as they always are.. but I felt they actually had something there. The problem with the Pokemon Story is that it always lacks any ammount of personal story.. or something that ties you to it and engages you.. you just run around and people tell you crap and send you on errands.. or make you do dangerous things that techincally you should not be doing.. like going to stop the big bad threatening the entire world, when there's a tower full of hard core elite trainers sitting on their ass on the mountain who surely would be more qualified for it. Is this not why we have an Elite 4? To stop people from mistreating pokemon, and trying to destroy the world? Or are they just there to fight trainers all day? It's things like that, that really ruin the game experience for me.. especially when they try to be all epic.. they're doing a poor job at it if you ask me.

I've actually thought what I would do if I could write the plot for a pokemon story.. and it would be so simple. The Player Trainer and your Rival, whom would be a close friend of yours, are given your starter pokemon.. not for the sake of joining the Pokemon League, but to be of use around town. Call it "getting your drivers license".. you're of age, you should learn to use these creatures. It's what this world does. You do a few minor missions.. mostly to build up the character of your rival so you actually have an understanding of who they are.. something catastrophic eventually happens to your rival that shakes them to the core, and they decide to actually join up with the "evil team".. thinking them to be the right way to do things.. and perhaps excel all the way to the upper ranks within down the line. It will then be implied that you, the good hearted trainer, decides to join the pokemon league, collect all the things in hopes that you can fight your way to your fallen friend and bring them back to the light. As far as Legendaries go, perhaps you, the hero, need it to complete your tasks.. and you, yourself, do the research on where to find it.. and you, yourself, catch it without any organization bringing you all the pieces and handing it over to you. Work for that crap, son! Earn your legendary!

Of course, the exact opposite of what I just said.. having a connection to the story and all of that. Maybe have no story and just focus everything around just training and fighting pokemons? Sandbox sorta game where you can go where ever you want to go without much restrictions? I dunno.

Years
    The Player Trainer and your Rival, whom would be a close friend of yours, are given your starter pokemon.. not for the sake of joining the Pokemon League, but to be of use around town. Call it "getting your drivers license".. you're of age, you should learn to use these creatures. It's what this world does. You do a few minor missions.. mostly to build up the character of your rival so you actually have an understanding of who they are.. something catastrophic eventually happens to your rival that shakes them to the core, and they decide to actually join up with the "evil team".. thinking them to be the right way to do things.. and perhaps excel all the way to the upper ranks within down the line. It will then be implied that you, the good hearted trainer, decides to join the pokemon league, collect all the things in hopes that you can fight your way to your fallen friend and bring them back to the light. As far as Legendaries go, perhaps you, the hero, need it to complete your tasks.. and you, yourself, do the research on where to find it.. and you, yourself, catch it without any organization bringing you all the pieces and handing it over to you. Work for that crap, son! Earn your legendary!
    I like this idea. I've always found it stilted that you, the player of the game, always happen to be that chosen Trainer who goes on to the Pokemon League while most people stand around and many aren't even shown using Pokemon.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    But, perhaps my biggest bugbear with Pokemon Games really comes down to the story. Because I see them try to actually tell some kind of epic story, and then not really to commit to it very well for one reason or another. One could argue that Pokemon is more geared to a younger set, and I get that.. but I kind of think that's just an excuse for poor writing. Which is sad seeing a company like Gamefreak not really giving a crap about what they make.. For the record though, they have been doing better. I had a good time in Pokemon XY just running around with my crew and learning about each of them.. albeit they all were barely fleshed out, 1 dimensional Pokemon NPCs as they always are.. but I felt they actually had something there. The problem with the Pokemon Story is that it always lacks any ammount of personal story.. or something that ties you to it and engages you.. you just run around and people tell you crap and send you on errands.. or make you do dangerous things that techincally you should not be doing.. like going to stop the big bad threatening the entire world, when there's a tower full of hard core elite trainers sitting on their ass on the mountain who surely would be more qualified for it. Is this not why we have an Elite 4? To stop people from mistreating pokemon, and trying to destroy the world? Or are they just there to fight trainers all day? It's things like that, that really ruin the game experience for me.. especially when they try to be all epic.. they're doing a poor job at it if you ask me.

I've actually thought what I would do if I could write the plot for a pokemon story.. and it would be so simple. The Player Trainer and your Rival, whom would be a close friend of yours, are given your starter pokemon.. not for the sake of joining the Pokemon League, but to be of use around town. Call it "getting your drivers license".. you're of age, you should learn to use these creatures. It's what this world does. You do a few minor missions.. mostly to build up the character of your rival so you actually have an understanding of who they are.. something catastrophic eventually happens to your rival that shakes them to the core, and they decide to actually join up with the "evil team".. thinking them to be the right way to do things.. and perhaps excel all the way to the upper ranks within down the line. It will then be implied that you, the good hearted trainer, decides to join the pokemon league, collect all the things in hopes that you can fight your way to your fallen friend and bring them back to the light.

Agreed, I've always wanted a better storyline outta Pokémon. Game Freak needs to realize that a large part of their fanbase isn't kids anymore. And your "driver's license" idea sounds great.

Although I'd prefer if we had a choice to be good or evil. More fun that way. 'Sides, sometimes I don't wanna be the hero for the millionth time and just wanna rule the world as an iron-fisted tyrant.

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2016
    Make a 1st person poekmon game like Dayz or sumthing and be able too make a hous nd supplys to survive and at nite like zombys or monsters come out nd u use youre pokemon to fight them but if they lost then u cant not use them again cuz they dead or liek u have to run away frum them so they dont get u, so u run to the poke hosptal for shelder

Last edited:

stp

ShootThePuck
    Years
    i'd definitely want a game where you can traverse all regions (specifically, kanto, johto, and hoenn) with b/w graphics in terms of battling, but i think for traversing the regions I'd like more r/s/e graphics.

the story also really needs some shaping up just in terms of being actually drawn to the plot. i never really care for the team ___________ in every region because they're really just seen as lame distractions from the main part of the story, which is to get gym badges and beat the elite four. team rocket is okay, but it doesn't really seem like they do anything significant in kanto or johto. they pretty much say they're going to do something big and then the 10 year old who has better pokemon then every other trainer in the freaking region is the one cleaning up the mess. at least aqua, magma, galactic, and plasma (i don't know about x/y) all accomplished their goal in some form, albeit with little success. i understand that in the end you're the "chosen one" and you're the one meant to stop the big bad legendary from destroying the world, but at least making the story more engaging than, "oh no! team evil has done this! go to their secret base and stop them before it's too late!" seriously, i wouldn't mind if groudon and kyogre start changing the land drastically and you have to go stop them before it's too late by [insert cool new mechanic].

this is what i think the mystery dungeon series do so well, and that's actually making you care about what's going on by affecting what you can do drastically. in red / blue, when you run away, you can't just run back and go buy some reviver seeds. it's you against the world and whatever you saved up is what you've got. literally, in r/s/e, you can just run around hoenn while groudon and kyogre are duking it out until the sun blows up and nothing significant will happen. there needs to be some sense of urgency besides "welllll, to beat the elite four, i need waterfall, and to use waterfall i need to get the 8th gym badge, so i basically gotta go find rayquaza or i can't beat the elite four. this is such a drag."

i don't know, it just seems like gamefreak is very lazy in some aspects of story writing and fails to recognize that not only does pokemon have an older following, but there's also a strong younger following that i'm sure can understand more then what they're giving it.

also, it'd be cool if they added a feature where you can turn off natures and iv's. what i'd really love is if natures were just taken out completely and then iv's use a progressive system where every pokemon starts out with very low iv's and as it battles other pokemon its iv's increase. this, in turn, is the only way to get perfect iv's and if you use rare candies, the price you pay is that your pokemon won't have perfect iv's when it's level 100. natures just ruined a part of the game for me and i've gotten to the point where i know what all the natures do and it really bugs me when my scyther has a modest nature or situations like that.

DynamicD

Metagross Fan
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2015
    -A BIGGER roster of new Pokemon than X and Y, including evolutions of previous Pokemon.
    -A more compelling Villain Team. I was happy that X and Y didn't have the team but in that much, however they didn't seem that intimidating. They almost got it right.
    - A lot of Pokemon out there have unused potential. Change that around this game and give ALL Pokemon a useful ability, stat and etc.
    - The games have been getting less and less challenging. Make them more challenging by boosting the level cap of opponents.
    - A bigger post game, with more interesting stories and possibly more places to visit.

Back