• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is your least favorite part of any pokemon game?

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    Grinding is by far the most infuriating thing for me. I hate grinding so much that I often times will fight gym leaders with a huge level disadvantage. I was pretty happy when they made it easier in Black and White with the dynamic experience gain and the Audino almost everywhere, but was sorely disappointed at how they dropped these things, and made it too easy with the Experience Share.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2015
    Zerg rushes by the villainous team members are never challenging in these games, especially when the type variance is so little among the weaker members.

It may be a bit minor, but I'm hating how little the Gym Leaders are doing again. They got pretty good with giving Gym Leaders a point in the story in Gen V, but Gen VI just seemed to kick them back down again, with maybe only two of them having any real purpose. They're not even feeling like major bosses anymore, just another face I have to stomp on before ascending past their level.

Years
    Grinding is by far the most infuriating thing for me. I hate grinding so much that I often times will fight gym leaders with a huge level disadvantage. I was pretty happy when they made it easier in Black and White with the dynamic experience gain and the Audino almost everywhere, but was sorely disappointed at how they dropped these things, and made it too easy with the Experience Share.

Yeah, when I do challenges that aren't Nuzlockes and Wedlockes, usually i'll say f*** it and battle them even though i'm like 5-7 levels behind the strongest level of a Gym Leader or such. I would have liked for Gen V's EXP system to stay in XY as well.

In fact, I remember watching Marriland's first video after the announcement of XY speculating on what to make out of what we were given, and one of the shots showed a Weavile fighting an Audino, which made him think Audino was going to be in the game like it was in Gen V. And they were only in one location and they're a drag to find, which was underwhelming.

Years

I used to hate grinding too. Once I started using VBA I didn't mind as much because I'd simply hold down the space bar to speed things up and it made it a whole lot easier.

Years

I found grinding hard at times as well, but including Audino on almost every route in Unova really helped alleviate this issue due to the massive EXP they give out, it gets even better with the Lucky Egg equipped. While Audino are on just one route in Kalos, we do get those Furisode Girls in the Battle Chateau using Audinos which still give out their massive EXP, and with the new Exp. Share mechanics you can now train a whole party up more easily without the weaklings even having to be out in the battle.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Whoever said legendary centered plots/being forced to interact with legendaries/being asked if you want the legendary in your party: all of the yes. I hate these things. Again, with RSE being the first to center a plot on a legendary, I think it was fine (Crystal doesn't count, since Suicune is more of a side plot and isn't even required). It's the first and it was new at the time, but now, it's in every game. I'm really tired of it. I'd like to LOOK for my legendaries. We never had them thrown to us in this magnitude before. It gets repetitive and legendaries lose their charm.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    Whoever said legendary centered plots/being forced to interact with legendaries/being asked if you want the legendary in your party: all of the yes. I hate these things. Again, with RSE being the first to center a plot on a legendary, I think it was fine (Crystal doesn't count, since Suicune is more of a side plot and isn't even required). It's the first and it was new at the time, but now, it's in every game. I'm really tired of it. I'd like to LOOK for my legendaries. We never had them thrown to us in this magnitude before. It gets repetitive and legendaries lose their charm.
    I have to admit I did hate that they forced you to deal with Ho-Oh and Lugia in the remakes, especially the latter because it means taking a trip to Whirl Islands which are probably my least favorite location in Johto.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I have to admit I did hate that they forced you to deal with Ho-Oh and Lugia in the remakes, especially the latter because it means taking a trip to Whirl Islands which are probably my least favorite location in Johto.

I agree. :/ Even a remake got sucked into the new forced legend battle thing. At least that didn't happen with FRLG, but that was still a new thing at the time. In HGSS though, it really feels forced because fans of the original games know that it wasn't there initially. It's just tossed in carelessly, I feel. There was really no reason for that change.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
    -An overabundance of boring tutorials
    -One-sided, obviously good protagonists obsessed with friendship with no depth whatsoever
    -One-sided, obviously evil villains obsessed with evil with no depth whatsoever
    -Lack of any worthwhile Pokemon to catch until after about the 2nd Gym
    -Late-game dungeons such as Mt. Coronet and Hoenn's Victory Road where your skill is tested... by forcing you to leave behind one or two of your actual team members so you can instead bring along HM tools that know such amazingly powerful moves as Defog and Rock Smash
    -Overly easy Gym leaders and Elite Four that pose no challenge whatsoever
    -An online system in which everyone uses the same team, consisting of Blaziken, Mewtwo, Zygarde, Xerneas/Yveltal, Gardevoir, and Aegislash
    -Boring, unoriginal plotlines
    -A fandom that is among the worst

LetsPlayALoveGame

Wielder of the Disco Stick
    Years
    • Age 31
    • he/him
    • Texas
    • Seen Mar 9, 2023
    Yeah, when I do challenges that aren't Nuzlockes and Wedlockes, usually i'll say f*** it and battle them even though i'm like 5-7 levels behind the strongest level of a Gym Leader or such. I would have liked for Gen V's EXP system to stay in XY as well.

In fact, I remember watching Marriland's first video after the announcement of XY speculating on what to make out of what we were given, and one of the shots showed a Weavile fighting an Audino, which made him think Audino was going to be in the game like it was in Gen V. And they were only in one location and they're a drag to find, which was underwhelming.

Audino was nice to have, partly because it didn't make the story mode overly easy like XP share did, but I think XY improved on terms of grinding. Mindlessly mashing attacks through the Lumiose Restaurants and Battle Chateau feels so much faster that beating wild Audinos one-by-one. Then again, maybe it's because I have the attention span of a cat. I hated how 5th gen removed the option to set your team to 100 online and forced grinding. T_T

LetsPlayALoveGame

Wielder of the Disco Stick
    Years
    • Age 31
    • he/him
    • Texas
    • Seen Mar 9, 2023
    I agree with the stuff one has to do at the beginning, for us "veterans" its getting pretty annoying.
    One thing ive never liked that much is the Victoy Road. Its this huge cave with so many trainers and you usually need a bunch of HMs to get through. I would love to see GF try something else as their "vitory road" in a future game

You know what I wanna see? A Victory Road that's actually a road. My vision has always been a literal giant superhighway, lined end-to-end with powerful trainers carrying sensible, balanced teams. If both trainers on each end of the highway see you at once, you have to do a double battle (it'd be structured to where you could avoid this if you wanted. That's a true test of a trainer before the E4.

Tek

Years
    The random battle mechanic. It's bearable in the main routes, where some tall grass can be avoided. In caves, or when surfing, I want to break things out of frustration.

Also, I need a better way to hatch eggs. If I put any more ruts in the streets of Goldenrod, I'm going to be banned from entering city limits.

Back