• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is your least favourite pokemon game?

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
Years
  • I can't handle playing RBY anymore since I play FRLG now. the gen1 and 2 games are too slow now(No running shoes)

My most hated game is Trozei it made no sense.

Cloche

エスパーレディ
    Years
  • FR/LG They just...bothered me. The girl hero looked like straight crap.... And I hated having to hold down B to use the running shoes. -_-
    My hands got cramped, everything was just...slow...
    I do, however still enjoy playing them, just I wish it would go faster.

Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2011
    Oldschool

I like the oldschool Pokemon on gameboy! haha

Yeah it's just something about the throwback pokemon that's missing nowadays.

Perhaps it's the theme song or something

Last edited:

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2016
    Note: It is based on my opinion, so don't get offended when I mention your favorite game as my least favorite.

The main series I find disappointing has to be Gold, Silver, and Crystal. Those games took a step backward from Red, Green, Blue, and Yellow.

I'll explain the list:

-Unoriginal stuff such as Berries.
    -Poor TMs
    -Leveling curve, and having to call Trainers in order to rematch (Trainers can call you for a rematch, but I find it faster that you have to)
    -Story line just isn't great
    -A few of those Pokemon are good, the rest are.... *sigh!*
    -After defeating the Elite Four, you get to explore Kanto, which turns out to be a big disappointment

Yeah, GSC didn't grow on me at all.

As for spinoffs: Hey You! Pikachu and Pokemon Channel. They both suck. I have nothing else to say about them.

Itstoppedatumbreon

Destroying Zubats since 1996
    Years
  • Main series either Emerald or B/W
    B/W had the best story, but when you did the league, there was nothing else.
    Emerald was basically the same as R/S to me
    Spin offs would be MD EoD/T

Years
    • Seen Jun 10, 2023
    i would have to say B/W was a big disappointment to me. i thought it would've been better than the the previous gens but i was wrong. it is actually quite boring. almost everything was done poorly about it. its like they were trying to just get the game out there without even finishing the game. if they had just put a little more effort to make better pokemon and sprites with better names. i hate the idea of battling with a dumb looking stuffed animal/teddy bear thingy. IMO LAME

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    LeafGreen / Pearl. :x I'd also say FR and Diamond if I had played them, but since I've only played LG / Pearl...

tbh I hated the graphics, everything felt too fast and too weird to me (notice how a lot of "new" things seemed to be cut out by the time you played HG? or idk that was just me maybe) and the other islands didn't really seem like something that made sense in a Pokemon game. Like really, play LG and then play B/W straight after, there's clearly a winner for me. Pearl, on the other hand, God. Terrible graphics, terrible Pokemon, terrible music, terrible region--kay not the biggest fan of Sinnoh here, but yeah!

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    Definitely Sapphire and Ruby. For reasons thus:

- The blandest characterisation in any Pokemon game to date.

Personally, I find it near-impossible to get involved in a game when every character is such a bland, personality-less cardboard cut-out. Brendan/May is the worst when it comes to this, no other Pokemon game gives you such a non-character as your rival. Wally is a little better, but still doesn't have a whole lot of personality, and is out of focus for so much of the game anyway. Birch is the most forgettable professor, and the gym leaders are perhaps even more underdeveloped than the Kanto/Johto leaders (IMO the games benefited massively when the leaders started existing outside of their gyms). Archie/Maxxie were awful, the most pathetic and forgettable Big Bads there are. I'm not saying that the other games had the most brilliant and complex characters ever, but as a whole, they were a lot more vibrant and interesting, which in turn just brings the region to life. With such dull main characters, the whole region just felt soulless.

- A poorly implemented region.

I'll admit, Hoenn had some good ideas going for it. Moving away from the more city-centric games of Kanto was a good idea. There were some locations that could've been great - a volcano, an ash field, a desert, an expansive aquatic landscape, inculding the ability to go underwater. The problem is, nothing interesting was done with these locations at all. The volcano was exactly like a regular cave, just with a red tinge to it. The aquatic areas were horrible to explore - dull repetitive, frustrating and rage-inducing with the constant onslaught of Wingulls and Tentacool (and nobody dare scream "Just buy some repels!" - the game shouldn't force me to go out of my way to buy some items just to make a mandatory part of the game tolerable).

- God-awful villains.

Team Aqua and Team Magma are by far the worst evil teams to date, which the worst team leaders. First of all, their plans make no sense. Seriously, Team Magma try to blow up a volcano to create more land - a volcano in the middle of the region. Even worse, Team Aqua try the same thing to create more ocean, which is so retarted I can even begin to comprehend such idiocy. Secondly, the idea of having a different evil team in each game is a good one, but it doesn't work when each game is stil exactly the same with a palette-swap for the teams, right down to the aforementioned "EXPLODING VOLCANO CREATES OCEAN" idiocy, and the sea-hating Team Magma having a secret base... under the sea. Lastly, the leaders really needed some characterisation, backstory and motivation. Why, exactly, were they so obsessed with expanding/reducing the sea? What made them go to such extremes? It doesn't make any sense. Giovanni was a mobster who wanted to make money, Cyrus was so filled with rage and grief that he turned his own self-hatred outwards, but these guys... I don't know who they are. As far as I can see, Archice is just some idiot with a fish fetish. Also, the final boss team having basically the same Pokemon as all the grunts before him? Fail, RS, epic fail.

Those are my main problems with the games. I didn't like a large amount of the Pokemon designs either, or the male protagonist. Overall, it just seemed to be oddly caught between the simplistic, innocent charm of RBY/GSC and the ambitious, expansive plots of DPPt/BW, without really striking home on either count. All in all, it's just a disappointing generation of Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2014
    I can say without a doubt that Diamond/Pearl & PKMN Battle Revolution are my least favorite games. Diamond and Pearl are only the bane of my Pokemon playing because they were so slow feeling! You walked and surfed (not by a lot but still) faster in Red Version then you did in D/P. The fact that I didn't have an AR when I got Diamond and knew that Shaymin, Darkrai, and Arceus were event-less and waiting for me to hack them made it worse too, lol. I'll forever kinda of <3 them for introducing WiFi though.

As for PBRV, it just wasn't what I expected. I was expecting another game like Colo or XD, but it was just battling, over and over and over. If I had seen more of a graphic update (I'm a sucker for good graphics) from XD it would have all been okay, but... Customization was a nifty change, and WiFi Battles were fun, when they worked, but it's just not the tops.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2018
    Ruby and Sapphire, for the exact same reasons as Charmegeddon stated. Sure, I loved them when they first came out, but I was 12-13 then. I thought Simba's Mighty Adventure (the GBC version) was fun then too.

That said, I'd still love to see remakes. Maybe they'd do better this time.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • Definitely Sapphire and Ruby. For reasons thus:

- The blandest characterisation in any Pokemon game to date.

Personally, I find it near-impossible to get involved in a game when every character is such a bland, personality-less cardboard cut-out. Brendan/May is the worst when it comes to this, no other Pokemon game gives you such a non-character as your rival. Wally is a little better, but still doesn't have a whole lot of personality, and is out of focus for so much of the game anyway. Birch is the most forgettable professor, and the gym leaders are perhaps even more underdeveloped than the Kanto/Johto leaders (IMO the games benefited massively when the leaders started existing outside of their gyms). Archie/Maxxie were awful, the most pathetic and forgettable Big Bads there are. I'm not saying that the other games had the most brilliant and complex characters ever, but as a whole, they were a lot more vibrant and interesting, which in turn just brings the region to life. With such dull main characters, the whole region just felt soulless.

Honestly, Diamond and Pearl are more bland than RSE. Sure, Birch and May/Brendan were forgettable, but the Gym leaders were possibly the best at the time. Many of the gyms were challenging (Winona, Norman, Tate and Liza, Flannery) and memorable for using actual Pokemon native to the region (In Johto, Chuck's main Pokemon is a Poliwrath, not a Johto fighting type like a Hitmontop or a Heracross?!?!? And if you think the story is bad in these games, just look at the awful story in Diamond and Pearl

- A poorly implemented region.

I'll admit, Hoenn had some good ideas going for it. Moving away from the more city-centric games of Kanto was a good idea. There were some locations that could've been great - a volcano, an ash field, a desert, an expansive aquatic landscape, inculding the ability to go underwater. The problem is, nothing interesting was done with these locations at all. The volcano was exactly like a regular cave, just with a red tinge to it. The aquatic areas were horrible to explore - dull repetitive, frustrating and rage-inducing with the constant onslaught of Wingulls and Tentacool (and nobody dare scream "Just buy some repels!" - the game shouldn't force me to go out of my way to buy some items just to make a mandatory part of the game tolerable).

Wow, you expect top-notch graphics on a GBA?!?!? Of course there isn't going to be a 100% realistic volcano in a GBA game. I can't stand any cave/ocean in any game without repels, so I guess that's your loss. And if you honestly think a little surfing and fighting wild Pokemon makes the game "intolerable", then don't play Pokemon. There are parts in every Pokemon game where you'd be better off buying repels, anyway. And you have to fight Pokemon in a Pokemon game. That's kind of the point of the game.

- God-awful villains.

Team Aqua and Team Magma are by far the worst evil teams to date, which the worst team leaders. First of all, their plans make no sense. Seriously, Team Magma try to blow up a volcano to create more land - a volcano in the middle of the region. Even worse, Team Aqua try the same thing to create more ocean, which is so retarted I can even begin to comprehend such idiocy. Secondly, the idea of having a different evil team in each game is a good one, but it doesn't work when each game is stil exactly the same with a palette-swap for the teams, right down to the aforementioned "EXPLODING VOLCANO CREATES OCEAN" idiocy, and the sea-hating Team Magma having a secret base... under the sea. Lastly, the leaders really needed some characterisation, backstory and motivation. Why, exactly, were they so obsessed with expanding/reducing the sea? What made them go to such extremes? It doesn't make any sense. Giovanni was a mobster who wanted to make money, Cyrus was so filled with rage and grief that he turned his own self-hatred outwards, but these guys... I don't know who they are. As far as I can see, Archice is just some idiot with a fish fetish. Also, the final boss team having basically the same Pokemon as all the grunts before him? Fail, RS, epic fail.

First of all, Team Aqua tried to make the volcano inactive, not erupting. The team leaders were insane, but that makes the teams more interesting. The war between the two teams set the scene for the legendary Pokemon (or two legendaries, if you're playing Emerald) perfectly, and the two teams made Ruby and Sapphire version much different.

Those are my main problems with the games. I didn't like a large amount of the Pokemon designs either, or the male protagonist. Overall, it just seemed to be oddly caught between the simplistic, innocent charm of RBY/GSC and the ambitious, expansive plots of DPPt/BW, without really striking home on either count. All in all, it's just a disappointing generation of Pokemon.

The designs were bad? What about Absol, the final starter evos, the Weather Trio, Deoxys, Zangoose, Gardevoir, Electrike/Manectric, Shroomish/Breloom, and the many more great Pokemon in Hoenn? About the protagonists, well, they aren't my favorites, but he doesn't look as stupid as the Sinnoh protagonists. And DPPt had "ambitious plots"? The only things that actually kept me interested in the dialogue of those games where the localization team's insertions of Internet slang. Seriously, DPPt has a plot so full of holes that it makes the Micheal Bay Transformers movies look like Shakespeare. And don't even mention the "Simplistic charm of RBY and GSC". This isn't a senior center to discuss the "Good old days", this is a Pokemon forum. Take off your nostalgia goggles before bashing a game.

Anyways, the worst games in my opinion were DPPt. Platinum is the only game in this trilogy thats actually, um, playable, as the speed in Diamond and Pearl d r a g g e d o n f o r h o u r s . The region was cold, dark, and forbidding, many of the new evolutions sucked, the starters were meh, and basically every other Pokemon was forgettable. To make matters worse, I expected so much from the first DS Pokemon games, and I ended up going back to Emerald as soon as I beat the E4. This game also tortured me by forcing me to use Rapidash, my least favorite Fire type ever. Later, though, I learned that Skuntank could learn Flamethrower and I used that in my second and last playthrough. Plus, while this is a small thing, these games turned many older fans away from the series, starting with when Rowan shows you a Pokemon. What does he show you, but an overly cute and kiddie looking Buneary. I mean REALLY?!?!? To not rebuff older players, why didn't the games show a tougher looking Pokemon, such as a Gible for instance? If it showed a Gible, it wouldn't make players think, "oh no, one of those kiddie games". The story is at it's worst, as I've said, and the dialogue seems distinctly kiddie.

Last edited:

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    Pearl, Diamond and Platinum versions. I never got into the series. The new Pokemon were lame and only few events were good in the games.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    Honestly, Diamond and Pearl are more bland than RSE. Sure, Birch and May/Brendan were forgettable, but the Gym leaders were possibly the best at the time.

I would disagree. The RSE gym leaders were still stuck in the same old "stand inside gym until player turns up, rant about how awesome [type of choice] is, battle" routine. IIRC, none of them appear outside their gyms (I know Wallace helps out in Emerald when he's not gym leader, I don't remember if he does the same in RS). In DP, gym leaders started to exist outside of their gyms, we saw evidence of them existing as real people, not bosses waiting to be encountered. Roark helped out in the mines, Maylene and Candice hung out in their spare time, Fantina entered contests, Crasher Wake helped to investigate Team Galactic, etc. It's not much, but simply showing them doing things outside their gyms gives a whole new dimension to their characters, making them and the games more vibrant and interesting.

Many of the gyms were challenging (Winona, Norman, Tate and Liza, Flannery) and memorable for using actual Pokemon native to the region (In Johto, Chuck's main Pokemon is a Poliwrath, not a Johto fighting type like a Hitmontop or a Heracross?!?!?

Hoenn is not unique or memorable for having region-specific Pokemon in gym teams, every region does the same thing bar Johto. As Johto was a smaller region bordering on Kanto, it made sense for the trainers to use several Kanto Pokemon. It would've made less sense if they hadn't.

Wow, you expect top-notch graphics on a GBA?!?!? Of course there isn't going to be a 100% realistic volcano in a GBA game.
    No. No, I don't. I didn't say that at all. Nowhere in my post did I ever mention graphics. What I said was that nothing interesting was done with these locations. Take the volcano - you can do loads with a volcano. We could explore the lower regions, traverse the rivers of lava, discover the natural hot springs. A simple step-and-move puzzle where you have to jump onto rocks in order to cross the lava (ala Blackthorn gym) would be great. None of this would require exceptional graphics, but it would've made the location unique and interesting. But instead the design remained exactly the same as every other cave in the series, but with a red tinge, which made the location dull and generic.

I can't stand any cave/ocean in any game without repels, so I guess that's your loss.
    I'm not sure what your point is here. You're trying to defend Hoenn's water routes by claiming that all oceans are boring? Therefore, surely logic dictates that Hoenn's oceans, being considerably larger than any other, would be correspondigly more boring?

And if you honestly think a little surfing and fighting wild Pokemon makes the game "intolerable", then don't play Pokemon. There are parts in every Pokemon game where you'd be better off buying repels, anyway. And you have to fight Pokemon in a Pokemon game. That's kind of the point of the game.
    I don't think that "a little surfing and fighting" makes a game intolerable. I'm saying that a large part of the region being nothing but surfing and fighting the same two monsters over and over makes that part of the region very dull.

First of all, Team Aqua tried to make the volcano inactive, not erupting.
    OK, I'll admit I am incorrect on that count. I'll let Archie off that count of stupidity and instead wonder how exactly a meteorite is going to suck all the lava out of a volcano.

The team leaders were insane, but that makes the teams more interesting.
    Archie and Maxie weren't insane. They were just dumb. There's a huge difference.

The war between the two teams set the scene for the legendary Pokemon (or two legendaries, if you're playing Emerald) perfectly, and the two teams made Ruby and Sapphire version much different.
    I did like the idea of the two warring teams, and they were fairly well-implemented in Emerald. But Ruby and Sapphire still have the problem of both teams being basically the same. Take Emerald, where Team Aqua hid under the sea, while Team Magma's base was inside a mountain. That made sense for both teams. Compare to RS, where regardless of the version, both teams have an underwater base.

The designs were bad? What about Absol, the final starter evos, the Weather Trio, Deoxys, Zangoose, Gardevoir, Electrike/Manectric, Shroomish/Breloom, and the many more great Pokemon in Hoenn?

Yeah, I'm not saying all the designs are bad. Hell, some of my favourites are from Hoenn - Sharpedo, Flygon, Tropius... actually, now I think about it, I don't really dislike many of the Hoenn designs. I'm just very un-attached to a large amount of them - I think because I found the game as a whole so unengaging, I struggled to get attached to any of the Pokemon.

About the protagonists, well, they aren't my favorites, but he doesn't look as stupid as the Sinnoh protagonists.

I wasn't a huge fan of Lucas either, but Brendan is definitely my least favourite design. But I usually just play as a girl in Hoenn/Sinnoh instead, so it's not a huge thing.

And DPPt had "ambitious plots"? The only things that actually kept me interested in the dialogue of those games where the localization team's insertions of Internet slang. Seriously, DPPt has a plot so full of holes that it makes the Micheal Bay Transformers movies look like Shakespeare.

Oh, I'm not saying that DPPt had an incredible plot. But the coherence of the plot isn't really my point - the point is that while both RS and DP had a similar "evil team awakens legendary, almost destroys world" style plot, DP's worked, for me at least, much better because they went with it with full gusto. It was clear in DP that the "save the world" plot was of much higher importance than the "collect the badges" plot. I'm finding it hard to pin down a particular quality of the games that gives me this impression, but to me it definitely comes across that in RBY/GSC, the evil team plot is essentially a sidequest to the main badge-collecting plot, while in DPPt/BW, the badge-collecting is a sidequest to the main "save the world" plot. RS on the other hand seemed to commit to neither with much gusto, both plots seem lackluster and unengaging.

And don't even mention the "Simplistic charm of RBY and GSC". This isn't a senior center to discuss the "Good old days", this is a Pokemon forum. Take off your nostalgia goggles before bashing a game.
    My apologies, I didn't realise that positive comments regarding the first two gens were banned on Pokemon forums. :/ The arrogance involved in convincing yourself that an opinion contrary to your own must be solely down to nostalgia goggles and that there is no way I could possibly genuinely hold such an opinion is astounding.

Plus, while this is a small thing, these games turned many older fans away from the series, starting with when Rowan shows you a Pokemon. What does he show you, but an overly cute and kiddie looking Buneary. I mean REALLY?!?!? To not rebuff older players, why didn't the games show a tougher looking Pokemon, such as a Gible for instance? If it showed a Gible, it wouldn't make players think, "oh no, one of those kiddie games". The story is at it's worst, as I've said, and the dialogue seems distinctly kiddie.
    Honestly, I doubt anyone who purchased a Pokemon game will be put off by a cutesy monster in the opening screen. Come on, who buys a Pokemon game expecting it to be hardcore?

Last edited:

G-Virus

The B.O.W. King
    Years
  • My least favorite pokemon game would have to be the DPPt trio. Platinum was my second Pokemon game, and I thought I was going to be hooked on it like I was with Heart Gold, but guess what? No. I didn't even finish the game because I was that bored with it.

Wya77

Average Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2011
    The only thing I liked about D/P/Pt was Solaceon(spelling?) Town. I didn't like the starters. Bidoof ruined the game for me. Bidoof is without a doubt the annoying/ugliest/pointless (besides HM slave) pokemon created.

RetroRoller

Trailer Trash
    Years
  • I hated Diamond and Pearl. Back in the day it was really fun. I love the route music for sinnoh. But I hate the region and most of it's pokemon to be honest. They look less and less like animals as the regions go on. But I digress. I love Unova pokemon though <3 :P

ThePokeBoss

PokePimp
    Years
  • i dislike the 3rd generation.. The ruby and sapphire. emerald was ok.. but the pokemon all looked waayy to creepy.. and some appeared too often.. not much variety

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • I hated Diamond and Pearl. Back in the day it was really fun. I love the route music for sinnoh. But I hate the region and most of it's pokemon to be honest. They look less and less like animals as the regions go on. But I digress. I love Unova pokemon though <3 :P

What is with this misconception that all Pokemon need to be animals?!?!? Sure, there should be some, but I like some of the ones with other origins. Granted, many are stupid (I'm looking at you, Vanilluxe and Garbodor), but the ones based on ancient legends and things of the like are mostly cool, such as Cofagrigus and Mawile (it's a futakuchi-onna). Is Weezing an animal? No. But it's very memorable and it's my favorite Poison type. It's even from Gen 1, a generation that everyone likes because of all the animals. I guarantee, if Weezing were released in Gen. 5, people would whine about how it's not an animal. Remember, kids, it's Pokemon, not Animon.

Hydreizard

Seasoned Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2016
    What is with this misconception that all Pokemon need to be animals?!?!? Sure, there should be some, but I like some of the ones with other origins. Granted, many are stupid (I'm looking at you, Vanilluxe and Garbodor), but the ones based on ancient legends and things of the like are mostly cool, such as Cofagrigus and Mawile (it's a futakuchi-onna). Is Weezing an animal? No. But it's very memorable and it's my favorite Poison type. It's even from Gen 1, a generation that everyone likes because of all the animals. I guarantee, if Weezing were released in Gen. 5, people would whine about how it's not an animal. Remember, kids, it's Pokemon, not Animon.

Well said. I agree with you whole heartedly. These are Pokemon. They aren't supposed to like real animals. I personally cannot complain about pokemon designs and I thought Unova pokemon and Sinnoh pokemon were pretty cool.

*Latias

It's so cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2012
    I'd say Black/White because I don't like most of the pokès even though the plot was really cool.
    Anyway, Black/White is the game I enjoyed the least, I don't really know why, but it was kind of boring after finishing the main story.

Back