• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is your most boring battle ever?

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Feb 1, 2016
    Did you ran out of ethers? Did you had to use low-leveled Pokémon against the enemy and use lots of Potions/Revives on it? Did your enemy used Potions all the time?

Usually battles are interesting and rewarding but sometimes battles can be really boring. And then you want to finish that as fast as you can. Boring or not but you get EXP and money from it - always. (there are exceptions)

So I want to hear your opinions. What makes battle boring and have you had any boring battles?

IdsMow

LongTime Master
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Feb 4, 2012
    When you fight so hard, with limmied PP left on your worst move and none on the rest only t get a pixial or 2 of EXP.

Or when you think that the match in in the bag on the 2nd move only for a constant stream of full restores :S

gvgisdi

Officially addicted to Crystal
    Years
  • From a neutral point of view, my most boring battle would be Ditto vs a wild Ditto on Red (or Blue, I don't remember). I kept "battling" just for lols.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Maybe this is just me, but when I think of 'boring' battles, I just think of landslide victories against weak Pokemon. Most of the battles at the start of every game are 'boring' in my opinion. A Ditto v Ditto battle would be interesting from my standpoint for just how freaky it'd be; it'd be never-ending until Struggle, of course, but it'd be unusual. Whereas Bulbasaur v Rattata is sending me to sleep just typing about it!

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Boring battles...fighting trainers in the beginning of the game with Geodudes and all you can do is Tackle. ;(

Years
  • Fisherman wants to battle.
    Fisherman sent out Magikarp.

But really, the worst are the ones you do over and over. The beginning can be really bad because you have one or two pokemon and you only face one or do different wild pokemon. There's nothing interesting about that.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Constant "Hurt itself in confusion" or missing the foe due to masses of Minimize, Double Team etc. that really gets on my nerves or slow battles at the beginning of games with limited attacks.

IdsMow

LongTime Master
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Feb 4, 2012
    Constant "Hurt itself in confusion" or missing the foe due to masses of Minimize, Double Team etc. that really gets on my nerves or slow battles at the beginning of games with limited attacks.

I would second that one whole hartedly, but tactic wise I have a friend who uses it to an extream and it has served him will

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Fighting defensive monsters that use Double-Team/Minimise and hold healing items; namely Cynthia's Spiritomb and Koga's Muk.
    I consider evasion a valid tactic but it does get arduous against the AI.

Fisherman wants to battle.
    Gotta love when that's subverted;

Fisherman sent out Gyarados.
    What is your most boring battle ever?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • What makes a battle boring is battling a person who uses multiples of the same Pokemon (like the Magikarp fishermen of all 5 gens). What's also boring is facing off against a Pokemon you can't do anything against.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    Anything that has me pitting against a pure Normal-type Pokémon. They're some of the weakest Pokémon in existence, & with a fighting type, all they are is dead weight. I think using normal-types are very unoriginal, & it tells me that the trainer doesn't take his/her career seriously.

The other scenario that can be as equally as big as a snooze-fest are those fishermen that only have six Magikarps.

arbok

cobra pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    gotta agree with the magikarp fishermen.
    But "Zubat used confuse ray" also gets me. Especially when the zubat doesn't stand a chance so your pokemon are hurting themselves when there's no real threat from the foe.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I don't know if this counts, but I played a hack game where a Pokemon had Wonder Guard and was Dark/Ghost-type, so it had no weakness. The only way to kill it was with struggle and it was in a Gym Battle. It took forever to get the PP down to Struggle, even longer to kill that thing. I didn't have anything that could Poison it...

Oh and grinding can get tedious, especially when your Pokemon is leveled in that "middle area" where you can't fight the higher-leveled Pokemon because you risk fainting, but you're too high leveled for some other place.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    All of the 'Magikarp' like teams I agree with, or someone with a whole team of lower levelled Pokemon all the same. Sure they are quick matches, but it just makes you feel like you're wasting PP.

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2012
    I faced a Double Team/Toxic/Softboiled/Protect Blissey in the emerald battle factory... stalliest match ever

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    Team Grunts, and ones where my Pokemon are very over leveled and just destroy the other Pokemon in an instant. I like a challenge. I love battling Cynthia in Unova because she's anything but boring.
    But the most boring are definitely the first non-rival trainer, with the Zigzagoon/Patrat/Starly/Rattata/Caterpie.
    So.gosh.darn.boring.

Back