• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is your personal favourite Region?

What is your personal favourite region?

• Kanto (RBY/FRLG/LGPE)

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Johto (GSC/HGSS)

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Hoenn (RSE/ORAS)

• Sinnoh (DPPt)

• Unova (BW/BW2)

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Kalos (XY)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alola (SM/USUM)

• Galar (SWSH)

• Total voters

Figment

Professional Falinks Enjoyer.
Years
  • There has been 8 mainline regions so far as of 2020. I honestly wanted to see your personal opinions on what your favourite region is. Whether the reason is nostalgia, Pokemon designs, storyline, game quality, memorable locations and characters, whatever, it's up to you to decide.

My personal favourite region would be Unova, as I have lots of fond memories of it, I personally don't see much wrong with the "bad Pokemon designs" either, as every region has them, and there aren't really as much of them as people make it out to be. I loved the story line and found the battle animations really immersive. You could really tell they were pushing the DS to it's limit here. Johto is probably a close second.
    (Note: This persons opinions are invalid because he has never played a Sinnoh or Kalos game)

Years
    • Seen today
    I would rate them

Johto > Hoenn > Unova > Alola > Sinnoh > Kanto > Kalos > Galar

Johto had really neat themes and lore. I love tropical themes and it feels like Hoenn did it better than Alola, but Unova was also the most unique region to me. Sinnoh was average to me, Kanto was boring and feels like an endless slog of trainers sometimes. Kalos and Galar were simply the most unmemorable, but Kalos had a nicer atmosphere to me that Galar sometimes just didn't have.

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I am going to go by setting only since there is so much randomness with mechanics and I don't think it is fair to judge by mechanics when talking about a region.

1. Unova - I love the size of Unova and love the seasons. It is also the first American Region.
    2. Johto - Johto reminds me so much of Autumn. When i think of Johto, Autumn immediately comes to mind.
    3. Sinnoh - Much like Johto, Sinnoh reminds me of a combination between Autumn and Winter.
    4. Hoenn - It was summery enough to make it feel like a pseudo tropical vacation that wasn't too much or too little.
    5. Kalos - I love Kalos because it feels like the sibling region of Unova. It also has a number of unique areas.
    6. Galar similar to Kalos. But the routes just weren't unique and I just didn't care for the steampunk areas for some town. The water glacier area just didn't fit and I don't know why it was even there. Especially with no new aquatic ice types.
    7. Kanto - Kanto is way too small. Without Johto, it doesn't even feel like a complete region. Not enough wilderness I guess.
    8. Much like Kanto, it is way too small. The routes were pretty generic except for a couple and I feel like they did that on purpose to try to capture Kanto again, which I was already tired of before the 20th Ann.

Years
  • aghhh choices
    1) alola and unova, tied
    2) hoenn
    3) johto
    4) everything else

sinnoh and galar are probably last if I had to rank them. but alola and unova mean a lot to me. <3

Years
  • This time I'll go with:
    Hoenn > Sinnoh > Galar > Unova > Alola > Kalos > Johto > Kanto

Hoenn and Sinnoh take the first two places by power of nostalgia - Hoenn was my first and I therefore consider diving and the underwater as default, and Sinnoh's battle animations were very pretty. I somehow liked them better than gen 5's move graphics. Galar would rank next, it looked so pretty in the trailers alone that I decided I might actually get the Switch and these new Pokémon after missing out on gens 6 and 7 (didn't have a 3DS). Unova takes 4th place by nostalgia and I find it a lot neater now than way back then. The ordering of the rest is on a whim really - I liked them all, but I played Kanto least.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Johto > Kalos > Kanto > Galar > Sinnoh > Alola > Unova > Hoenn

...Sorry Hoenn. (´°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥ω°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥`)

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    Overall:
    1. Sinnoh
    2. Unova
    3. Hoenn
    4. Kalos
    5. Johto
    6. Alola
    7. Galar
    8. Kanto

Games:
    1. Sinnoh (D/P/Pt)
    2. Johto (HGSS)
    3. Unova (BW/BW2)

4. Hoenn (ORAS)
    5. Kalos (XY)
    6. Alola (SM)
    7. Galar (SwSh)

Regional Design:
    1. Kalos
    2. Unova
    3. Galar

4. Sinnoh
    5. Alola
    6. Hoenn
    7. Johto
    8. Kanto

Best Pokemon:
    1. Sinnoh
    2. Hoenn
    3. Unova

4. Kalos
    5. Kanto
    6. Johto
    7. Alola
    8. Galar

Last edited:
    Years
  • If I had to go in order it would be:
    Hoenn > Johto > Sinnoh > Kanto > Unova > Alola > Kalos > Galar

Admittedly, a lot of my list is purely based on nostalgia but I'd say that's what my personal preference is objectively as well! Hoenn is my all time favourite region and probably always will be and Galar isn't terrible but I'd say I didn't get immersed in it properly for some reason. Also, Kalos was way too unfished and gets a place low down the list.

lilaë21

Roaming Sinnoh
    Years
  • Johto and Sinnoh are tied as my favourite ones, sure nostalgia is somewhat in their favour but they also have imho the best lore and theme; about this I maybe prefer Johto but I'm voting Sinnoh because I think it's gameplay-wise the best region (it's the least linear), and Johto sadly suffers from some design flaws in the games such as having Kanto Pokémon everywhere and some Johto Pokémon almost nowhere to be found.

Trying to rank them all:
    Sinnoh/Johto > Hoenn >>>>> Unova > Kanto >>>> Kalos >>> Alola; haven't played SwSh yet so I can't honestly rank Galar, but from everything I've read as for gameplay I wouldn't find much to like, and I find its theme and layout quite boring.

Princess Diana

the people's princess
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Somewhere between Johto and Sinnoh, but I think Sinnoh ultimately beats comes out on top for me.

Alola would be far down at the bottom.

Back