• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What is your strategy for catching the legendary dogs?

beca

◔_____◔
Years
  • has a higher speed stat than Raikou (this is important as it will guarantee the first move

o__o
    How I didn't figure that out sooner, I'll never know xD perhaps that comes from a three month Pokemon hiatus?
    Thanks for the tip ^_^

As for my tip...erm. Trade for master balls :P

Project.

Tarot reading;
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Nov 5, 2010
    Master ball on Raikou; then I'd just attack the Entei a few times with a fast poke, parylze it. Then use Wobbuffet to sit while you toss balls at it.

Of course it always helps to transport master balls from Emerald/Ruby/Sapphire because they have no roaming legendaries.

iForever

~ Forver Memory ~
    Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2010
    Every time I catch a Legendary Pokemon, I make its health low then I either paralyze it or sleep.

dragon0fangz

account moved to 649
    Years
  • Master ball on Raikou; then I'd just attack the Entei a few times with a fast poke, parylze it. Then use Wobbuffet to sit while you toss balls at it.

Of course it always helps to transport master balls from Emerald/Ruby/Sapphire because they have no roaming legendaries.

Lati@s

and i tend to use my Spider Web Ariados for fighting, then immediately switch to a False Swipe Scizor. False Swipe, then the dog should run. When I encounter it again, Thunder Wave. Then I just use Ariados again, and keep chucking balls at it. I haven't succeeded, so I just use the Master Ball every time i play the game.

Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2014
    1. Catch a Gastly at Sprout Tower.
    2. Use Gastly as part of your team (eg. level him up and evolve him).
    3. When you get to Blackthorn, you should have a Gengar.
    4. Go to the move tutor and make Gengar remember Mean Look and Hypnosis.
    5. Buy assloads of Dusk Balls from the guy near the Safari Zone.
    6. Wait till night time.
    7. Trap him with mean look, make him sleep, lower his health, and spam Dusk Balls. Gengar is hella fast so as long as the Mean Look hits first, which it will, you're good to go.

Caught Entei in 2 hours, used him to wreck kids at the E4.

dozo

party hardy
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2014
    I always laughed when sleeping legendarys ran away.
    But I waited until night and used dusk balls.
    It sucked with Entei (and Articuno in Platinum), I had them poisoned and I had once chance to catch them, if it failed I had to restart my game until I finally caught them. xD (I saved it when they were on their last smidge of health.)

Years
  • I always laughed when sleeping legendarys ran away.
    But I waited until night and used dusk balls.
    It sucked with Entei (and Articuno in Platinum), I had them poisoned and I had once chance to catch them, if it failed I had to restart my game until I finally caught them. xD (I saved it when they were on their last smidge of health.)

From memory, they roaming Pokemon wouldn't be able to flee if they were put to sleep in Gen II but they do from Gen III onwards.. but yes try not to poison them lol

lol i jus t catch them when i see them really close to me

That did not make any sense..

Kelp

<3
    Years
  • I always lead with my Crobat, and then just Mean Look. It's a pretty bad strategy, since you'll get hit with a Spark, and Aurora Beam.

Krizor

Evil Genius
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2011
    I capture them with the Master Balls I clone in Emerald, so I don't really have a strategy when it comes to catching them.

But when it comes to finding them, my strategy is to go to a city where a grass route is nearby and walk back and forth between the border until it appears in that route. It works for every roaming legendary.

Years
  • I always lead with my Crobat, and then just Mean Look. It's a pretty bad strategy, since you'll get hit with a Spark, and Aurora Beam.

Dugtrio + Arena Trap works perfect against Raikou (but you have to paralyse it first to prevent it from using Roar)

I found Crobat to be useful against Suicune (again, paralyse it first to prevent it from attacking you)

Koh

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2011
    You could easily Arena Trap them, or you could do what I did for one of them, and bring a Pokemon over from a 3rd Gen game with a Master Ball attached xD.

Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2023
    i just follow it then use mean look from my golbat so it can escape.

Last edited:

Fushigidane-Chan

Years
  • Mean Look, Shadow Tag... anything that gets them to not run away. Then just spam the hell out of Ultra/Dusk Balls.

Really, I've had very little trouble catching roaming Pokemon.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • I am never ready whenever I face one of the Legendary Dogs. Either I'm leveling up one of my Pokemons or I'm with a Pokemon that would destroy one of them with one move. It's a good thing that I don't act rash and take a chance; I might've knocked them out an instant.

I don't really have a plan. Hopefully, my Gengar would be the first Pokemon in my party next time to do something significant.

Strdstwanderer

We'll get to that tomorrow
    Years
  • My Strategy is Like this Find em' then Catch one of them with a masterball ask my friend to use my pokemon platinum to trade me a pokemon holding a masterball to catch the remaining one

(isn't is weird that you can put them to sleep or Freeze but they can still run away)

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
    Years
  • Use AR then have 999 Master Balls and use them!!
    Lol.

Mean Look, Hypnosis - Haunter (Gengar)
    False Swipe Pokemon. Then spam Ultra Balls. :]

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    My strategy is to forget they exist, pretty much. Forget about them until they get up close and boom, plan my movements until I get into a battle with them. Though at that point I kinda need to get the appropriate moves to stop them. XD;

Back