• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is your worst "bad luck" battle in a Pokémon game?

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2014
    Once I was hunting Suicune and it showed up shiny.
    I killed it with a random critical.

Altair1

Willpower
    Years
  • Here's another two I remembered...

When an opponent uses a move that has a chance of inducing a status condition, gets the critical hit and the status condition!

Fainted a shiny Steelix on Victory Road in Platinum with one Dragon Claw from Garchomp!

*sigh*

Years
  • When you are fighting with a type diss-advantage the opponnent use a super effective move that ends up being critical to.

Encounter a shiny Pidgey in FireRed, before getting my first set of pokéballs.

Started new game just for fun in FireRed (I was not gonna save). Encounter a shiny Caterpie at Viridian Forest. Encountet a shiny Kangaskhan on Safari Zone and caught with the first ball. After that I was gonna definitely save and then I remembered... I had chosen the girl. NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    I was training my pokemon in the Fire Red victory road. All of my mons had fainted except for my level 60+ haunter. Haunter was really close to leveling up again, but had pretty low hp, and I didn't want to bother healing anybody until he was leveled up. I carelessly remembered that I'd missed a trainer outside of Mt Moon, and figured it'd be an easy win / level for my haunter. Their pokemon was a Jigglypuff that knew only normal type moves, so I was confident. Sadly... the only move with any pp left was shadow ball. I managed to run through the rest of shadow ball's pp until I struggle-killed myself and the Jigglypuff at the same time.

Fernando Torres

Class on grass
    Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2014
    I was playing versus Gary in Fire Red and I had all a amazing team. I could handle anything... Except ground. Charizard, Raichu, Zapdos, Snorlax, Arcanine and Muk... I was down to Raichu my favorite in the team. I had put Rhydon down to red health, and a quick body slam would kill it. I use body slam and it was left with 2% HP. I took me out OHKO earthquake.... Jeez D: I hated that moment..

Altair1

Willpower
    Years
  • I was playing versus Gary in Fire Red and I had all a amazing team. I could handle anything... Except ground. Charizard, Raichu, Zapdos, Snorlax, Arcanine and Muk... I was down to Raichu my favorite in the team. I had put Rhydon down to red health, and a quick body slam would kill it. I use body slam and it was left with 2% HP. I took me out OHKO earthquake.... Jeez D: I hated that moment..

I remember versing Blue in Yellow Version, it was down to his Arcanine, I forgot what I was using but it was low health. I knew I could take this Arcanine but it used ExtremeSpeed, knocking me out of the league! :/ ...

Another bad luck battle moment that just happened literally a moment ago! I was versing a Ranger in Black 2 on Victory Road.
    His Electabuzz paralyzed my Dragonite with Static (I KO'd it with Dragon Claw), he sends in Probopass. I switch to Samurott, I use Surf which it survives with 'Sturdy' then it paralyzes me with Thunder Wave! ...
    My Samurott didn't move for three turns, which it took three Discharges and eventually fainted! ...
    I send in Dragonite to finish the battle (who is still paralyzed), but ends up not being able to move for two turns taking two Power Gems!!
    I'm in Critical Health so I use Full Restore, Probopass uses Power Gem once again and lands a critical hit! Argh!!

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • Last week in the battle subway, streak in the 20's...

>We each have one pokemon left: My Gengar vs Mismagius.
    >Shadow Ball knocks her down to red. She uses Confuse Ray.
    >I hit myself in confusion. She uses Perish Song. Perish 3.
    >I hit myself in confusion. She uses Protect. Perish 2.
    >I hit myself in confusion. She uses Protect. Perish 1.
    >SHADOW BALL, YES! PROTECT FAILS! It... misses? Mismagius had freaking Brightpowder. (10% chance to dodge.)
    >Perish Song kills us BOTH.
    >Battle Subway counts that as my loss, and the CPU gloats, and I lose my streak.

ImBlue

dabbadeedabadai
    Years
  • I hit myself in confusion four times in a row once. That's probably a pretty common thing, but it's all that I can remember off the top of my head.

And while it's not bad luck, I once had a battle where there were four critical hits in a row (two by me and two by my opponent). Granted this was Flora Sky so idk if the chance was altered but I was worried it was a glitch at first.

Adore

Party.
    Years
  • While playing Emerald, I ran into a wild Shiny Makuhita in Victory Road immediately after using all ~20 of the Ultra Balls I was carrying at the time on a Sableye. :[

I've also lost a couple of competitive battles because I was unlucky with speed ties.

Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2024
    I hate it that whenever I fight against Trainers that got mons with Hypnosis, Iron Tail and other lower accuracy moves, they ALWAYS succeed, but once I get one of my mons to learn the move, it fails 99% of the time.

I used to hate Whitney's Miltank as well but then I started SRing for a female Chikorita on my every playthrough so that made my win easier due to no Attract xD

Tho my most hated Pokémon moment ever was my recent battle against Steven in Emerald. my mons were in the 50-60 range and I eventually beat the league then remembered about Steven. I never battled him before in Emerald so wasn't expecting his Pokémon to be so high leveled. So I was basically underleveled and after I'd always take down his Skarmory with my Torchic, his Metagross would faint my entire team before I even managed to move at all xD

KoolKat vs. Lucas

KoolKat Gold
    Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2013
    My worst luck in Pokemon ever.... oh yeah.

I was battling my strategy-oriented battler friend, who had this level 6 Shedinja vs. my level 96 Abomasnow.

I used Wood Hammer (I was just trying to use the most powerful move, I had only 2 moves, Wood Hammer and Ice Fang because I got rid of moves which do no damage).

Wonder Guard.

Shedinja used Leech Life!

(Abomasnow takes almost no damage, like 4-5 at the most)

Abomasnow used Ice Punch!

Wonder Guard.

Shedinja used Scratch!

(4-5 damage again)

Repeat until Abomasnow faints.

I was so mad.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • I don't have an exact moment, but my Tackle hit percentage might be 2%.
    You must have been really glad that Tackle was changed to 100% accuracy in Black/White. :P

My worst luck in Pokemon ever.... oh yeah.

I was battling my strategy-oriented battler friend, who had this level 6 Shedinja vs. my level 96 Abomasnow.

I used Wood Hammer (I was just trying to use the most powerful move, I had only 2 moves, Wood Hammer and Ice Fang because I got rid of moves which do no damage).

Wonder Guard.

Shedinja used Leech Life!

(Abomasnow takes almost no damage, like 4-5 at the most)

Abomasnow used Ice Punch!

Wonder Guard.

Shedinja used Scratch!

(4-5 damage again)

Repeat until Abomasnow faints.

I was so mad.
    Doesn't Abomasnow have Snow Warning? How did your opponent go around this?

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    ^ *couhg* hax *cough*

I was in a competitive battle we were both on last Pokemon I got 10 PP left in one move 7 of it fails the other 3 missed... FML

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    back wile playing fire-red i was fighting gary (elite four gary), i had taken out all of his pokemon but one. Though i forget wich one it was. My last pokemon, blastoise had about 20 health. I use hydro pump, critical hit, KO. Im like, yay i win! Then future sight comes and KOs my blastoise and gary wins :( and i didnt save after fighting lance eather.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Once, I ran into a golden Geodude in FireRed. I couldn't catch it, though, because I didn't have any Poké Balls with me at that time. I just simply had to run away from it. One of my other unlucky moments was when I encountered Latios in Pokémon Emerald. I wanted to weaken its health a little bit so that I could catch it, but I ended up landing a critical hit which, of course, made it faint. D:

Lucky1Yena

Just some guy
    Years
  • I ran into a wild Lvl 14 Roselia when my Lvl 100 Blaziken was badly injured. I tried to run away but it wouldn't let me.

How the heck does that even WORK? Wouldn't you have like, a 100% chance of escape considering the levels, species and differences in both the base speed stat and the speed stat each Pokémon had?

Anyway, Pokémon Silver. Shiny Psyduck. No Pokéballs left.

I was only young and saw the Psyduck and thought "cool it's another color gotta catch it".
    Then noticed there were no balls left. That's why I now always carry some with me in-game.

Back