• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"What kind of computer is it?" "A white one."

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
Years
  • Customer: "Could you help me, my Printer shows errors"!
    Me: "So, what's exactly the problem"?
    Customer: "Well, errors"...

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Yea, tell me about it...
    Friend: I have a problem with the PC.
    Me: What kind?
    Friend: It has a black screen.

Oh...kay, I can totally know what kind of problem from all 2^20 problems that can do a black screen.
    But I kinda get that it's hard to describe the problem if they aren't knowledgeable but even those who know what to do need to see it personally.

@MK: Nice =D So helpful the customer was =D
    @TF: I want that set as well... can't your granpa send me one as well? xD

MKGirlism

Years
  • Trust me, I had much stranger stuff thrown to my head, during my 2 years of Network Administrator status.

I even saw Tickets as weird as:
    "The pupils' screen exploded. He was working on his School Project, and suddenly, his Laptop screen exploded".

Or better, one with a Photographic proof, and everything:
    "A Student was working, and suddenly, a screw popped through his Laptop, completely out of nowhere".

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • Is there something wrong with explaining your problems like that in the first place?

I'm one of those people who would do that, but probably not to that extent. I'm just not that savvy with everything, but I at least know how to explain the problem somewhat to my friends that can do something about it.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • All the time, especially with my family. It's useless when I'm trying to help them via phone or facebook, so I'm practically FORCED to go to their place so I can see what exactly is wrong with said tech device. Not that I don't mind, but sometimes it can get a little annoying. xD

MKGirlism

Years
  • You should learn more about TeamViewer.
    We used it to assist customers as close as in the same building, or even as far as at the other side of the Continent.
    We only worked client-side, when we had no other choice.

Years
  • ^ YES to TeamViewer! It's literally the best way possible to help someone out if they have a problem with their computer and they cannot see you in person.

Honestly for me though, not too many people know that I am tech-savvy (except for my parents, my grandmother, and my uncle).. so usually when I have to resolve tech problems, I don't have to deal with vagueness of a problem considering I could just talk with them in person to see what's up.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
  • I get asked a lot of dumb questions for the most part. My parents think I'm some kind of computer wiz since I'm on it frequently, but really I know close to nothing about fixing them. The problems they seem to have tend to have the answer right in front of their face and it's like they just gave-up and asked me before actually looking at the problem itself.

It's funny cause I had this happen today. My step dad wanted to change the computer that he has to say it's his PC and not his dad's since he passed and the "Change Settings" button was in front of his face.

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
    Years
  • it's like they just gave-up and asked me before actually looking at the problem itself.

that's exactly what some people must do. my grandpa got an mp3 player a couple of years ago. he called me, being all "oh it's so complicated, come over and help me set it up", so of course I went over. he hadn't even taken it out of the packaging. it came with a manual.

some people don't even try.

SS01

#PoC Collab
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    For half the people I help, if they tried TeamViewer, they'd probably make the problem worse. Most of my friends aren't too tech-savvy. TeamViewer is a nice app to have though, it can really save time.

Well, either that, or the device I'm to look at doesn't run TeamViewer in any way, shape, or form.

Personally I find TeamViewer a PITA on both ends. I just run a normal VNC server, does the same thing, but basically invisible on the server end, which means less hassle.

Years
  • Personally I find TeamViewer a PITA on both ends. I just run a normal VNC server, does the same thing, but basically invisible on the server end, which means less hassle.
    VNC servers though are only good if the machines are on the same network. Surely VNC can be used in situations that don't require a user being on the same network, but then that would mean that a port would have to be opened in order for it to be accessed outside of the internal network. With TeamViewer (or even LogMeIn), ports don't need to be opened at all.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • I haven't really been in administration much, but I will say I've been called to do some really simple stuff within my family, such as adding a desktop shortcut for a Steam game so my mother can play, and getting rid of adware installed by my sister.

Some people don't pay attention to what they're clicking, and other's don't know how to even do the simplest of tasks. Well, what would they do without me? ;D

Years
  • Some people don't pay attention to what they're clicking, and other's don't know how to even do the simplest of tasks. Well, what would they do without me? ;D

So many people still treat a computer as if it is a box that runs on black magic rather than technology. It's frightening sometimes.

In my current job, I get a lot of "I dunno just come fix it" and "THIS IS BROKEN FIX IT NOW" without them specifying what's broken.

Family knows better given that my dad was the sole family support guy for years.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    I get asked a lot of dumb questions for the most part. My parents think I'm some kind of computer wiz since I'm on it frequently, but really I know close to nothing about fixing them. The problems they seem to have tend to have the answer right in front of their face and it's like they just gave-up and asked me before actually looking at the problem itself.

It's funny cause I had this happen today. My step dad wanted to change the computer that he has to say it's his PC and not his dad's since he passed and the "Change Settings" button was in front of his face.

This. Some people are just too darn lazy to open their eyes wider.

Fernbutter

Murder is the way.
    Years
  • Seeing as that I am literally the only person in my ENTIRE family I really feel like I just want to cry sometimes because their problems are so stupidly simple and when I try to explain it in a way that even a basic computer user would understand they just start talking and saying a ton of complete BS.

An example of one of these problems are how to save Picture from an internet link.
    How to move and copy files into other devices.

Then here is an actual story about me taking over my Uncle's(The only other tech-savvy person in my entire family) IT shift for about an hour, the kind of problems are ridiculously stupid.
    Spoiler:

Back