• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What kind of nicknames do you use?

Years
    well...

i usually name my pokemon random names...or really funny names. mostly i just name them for what they look like. heres my key:

pokemon that have long bodies, ex milotic: wiggles
    human shaped pokemon: steve or bob
    scary looking pokemon: baby eater
    muscular pokemon: shankums
    cat pokemon: melon cat or dunecat

i have tons of more names but i think you get the point.
    oh and delibird (own category): santa

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2008
    I named my quagsire Quashie.
    This is because there is a football (soccer) player named Quashie that looks like a quagsire

Ninetales1

Japan-flavoured Europhile
    Years
    In the past I only nicknamed some of my Pokemon. Then I started naming Pokemon after Pokemon I created, or after Digimon. (I remember having three Jumpluff in Silver nicknamed Leafmon, Palmon, and Vegiemon...) I also named them after other fictional characters, such as Voldemort for Noctowl. Then I named a Muk Yesenia, after a girl I hated in school. And I picked silly names, like OUCH!! for Pinsir and ??? for Gastly. Some trends I have nowadays with picking nicknames are:

-Never use all capital letters. I used to do that, but recently stopped...
    -I tend to use a lot of foreign language names, usually that are pretty apporpriate for what they are. Like Haganiwa for Aron (which indicates its type, Steel/Rock) and Luchadora (wrestler) for Makuhita.
    -Sometimes my nicknames are slightly random. Such as Pufflet for Chansey, Sunny Dee for Torchic, Neko for Abra (xD), Foxy for Zubat, Fresa for Lotad (strawberry?!?), etc.
    -Sometimes I still name Pokemon after famous people or fictional characters... Such as Deatheater for Banette, Sigmund for Ralts, and Robin for Taillow.
    -Other times I just pick names that are appropriate, like Snippety for Kingler, Aurine for Vaporeon, Oak for Seedot, Dotty for Ledian, and Duckfire for Magmar.
    -And now I nickname every single Pokemon I catch. I wish I could nickname the Pokemon I get in trades, but...

Kasedilla

Almighty Delicious One
    Years
    I used hardly ever nickname my Pokemon, but these days, I always nickname all the members of my teams.

I usually just pick names off of the top of my head, so they can be pretty random at times(I once had a Pidgeot named 'Coke'. XD; ). For the most part, they're fairly normal, though: I tend to pick somewhat generic names like Steve or Liz. :P

Animehero

Elite PKMN Trainer
    Years
    I named all of my pokemon, so that if I traded a pokemon and needed it back, and the other trainer had the same pokemon I could identify it.

Shinjanji

Years ago, I used to be Q_Man.
    Years
    I only really nicknamed my Pokémon twice. However, both times I wound up messing up their names because they evolved :P

(It was a Spearow named Speary and a Torchic named Torchy. I'm so creative, aren't I? :P )

Lunux

<-- My recolours!!!
    Years
    I call all my pokemon something completely random that somewhat fits who they are, like: My female Gengar is Ms.Creepy (named it Mr.Creepy until i found it was a female) and my Pelipper, Capt.Kirk (not knowing who the real capt Kirk in the Star Trek thing was.)and my favourite Beat-all which is my Heracross.

WaveBurst

Its Our Velocity
    Years
    I normally name them after my fav J-Pop artists or songs (My best one is my Pikachu which I named Takanori)

//Bey

Fire Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    I don't usually name all of my pokemon. Just the ones that are my favourites, or the ones that remind me of people I know. I sometimes use Spanish words (eg. Rojo for Red) or something that reflects the pokemon's type.

Sometimes I use really silly names. I named my starter in Ruby, Jimmeh. XD

Infinipede

negima ruined my life
    Years
    Random words having to do with the Pokemon, character names, and humorous stuff make up most of my nicknames.

Years
    I haven't started naming yet, but once i finally get my party together I think that I'm gonna name my pokemon with references to songs, musicians, or albums. Gengar is going to be Kilroy, in relation to the "Kilroy was Here" Album by Styx. My Pinsir is going to be named Ringo after the Beatle (his pokeball seal could be a star). My Blaziken will be Kansas, because of their song "Fight fire with fire".

Last edited:

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
    Years
    Normally Random...

Houndoom - Blaze
    Roserade - Rose
    Lapras - Myst
    Milotic - Celest
    Froslass - Wynter
    Pidgeot - Breeze
    Ambipom - Munkie
    Alakazam - Rune
    Ampharos - Sparky
    Golem - Rocky

Tend to have names that go with the pokemons look =P

Kitori_theTeamAquaSuicune

Aqua Snagger Kitori
    Years
    I usually name them after favorite chracters of mine that I cna relate them too.

Most favored so far was when I named my Suicune "Franziska" becuase of the whip like tails.(Phoenix Wright character. She uses a whip tons of times.)

Hyunbin

w00t!~
    Years
    when i had sapphire i gave all my pokemon japanese names
    for example i named luvdisc "ai" (love), staryu "hoshi" (star), vileplume "hana" (flower)...
    but now that i have the japanese version of diamond and with only 5 spaces instead of 10 in the english versions for names.. lol

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
    When I catch a paras/parasect on my LG (I'm collecting mushrooms)
    I usually name them a name that popped on my mind like
    Paras#1:Parasutectu
    Paras#2:Charizma!!
    Parasect:Prisquetect
    Or something like that

Nattydee

Meowth's Fangirl
    Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2007
    The thing about me is, I love my Pokemon to death, real or not. So if I get a Pokemon I just KNOW I will love and adore for a really really long time, I give it a nickname.

Most of my nicknames are a play on the Pokemon's actual name. I named my Pikachu Paki, pronounced puh-kee. Sometimes, they're completely random. I have a Mudkip named Skipper. And then sometimes they're just plain stupid. I have a Dialga named TehPwnerer.

Nicknames are fun! n_n

Back