• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What made you play Pokémon?

What made you play?

• Anime

Votes: 32 55.2%
  • Manga

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Trading Cards?

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • because my friend has one and i think its cool

Votes: 17 29.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jmadude

Keybledar43
    Years
    I started because my friend would always bring his pokemon game to my house and I would watch him play for hours. He never let me play though XD but after a while when I was 10 I bought my own game and got hooked.

Watapon

HeartGolden Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2010
    My cousin gave me his Gold and I instantly got hooked xD

May.

♥~M e m o r i e s.
    Years
    My parents bought me the pokemon emerald game for Christmas, I played it. And so I loved it, and bought the Diamond & Pearl games and got hooked xDD

Edin

NNNGOOOHHH!
    Years
    I've always had an interest in the cards, but I've never played with them. More than likely, it was the anime.

Although, I did have a friend who owned Pokemon Gold, I believe. She let me play it "briefly" and ever since then I've been obsessed with it. I started out playing Pokemon Snap and Pokemon Stadium before moving on to the RPGs.

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2015
    I actually began collecting the cards first since it was the big thing at school and I was really into and liked the cards. Once I saw other people playing the red and blue versions too, I really wanted one myself and my mom just happened to get me a blue version and gameboy color for my birthday that year. I also began watching the original anime after it came out, but I don't think I had the game until later on. So, the cards definitely were my influence into the pokémon world.

Lazenca

Chef~
    Years
    The anime, then I bought Blue, then Yellow, and then when Gold and Silver came out I got Silver and battled friends and traded.

Yeah the anime, and everyone was doing it.. lol Wow I was such a follower haha.

Inpu

Rocket Lieutenant
    Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2010
    It was kind of a big deal when I was little. I remember watching the anime with my brother before he got Blue. He and I were always friendly rivals, so I had to get Red. He went with Venusaur, I went with Charizard, and he still pounds me into the ground.

I actually went on hiatus from the games for several years, skipping gen III before he got me back into playing it again recently.

yaminokaitou

りゅうのマスター
    Years
    My cousins got into the TV show and I watched it a bit too. And then the game came out and we all just got it for Christmas.

After that we got G/S, skipped out on Gen R/S/E because we didn't like any of the pokemon, picked it back up with FR/LG and D/P. I currently am the only one with HG, but I'm hoping that once the games get released in the US my cousins will pick up HG/SS as well. It's more fun to talk about it with other people.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    For a while, even though I had been watching the show and collecting the cards, I had no clue there were games... I eventually found my brother playing one at a friends house and I thought it was the hardest thing ever. Of course back then my brother never even wanted me to have a turn so with eagerness to have my own I got it for Christmas (Pokemon Yellow with a matching Yellow GameBoy Color) and eventually got Red to make him jealous. I have been addicted ever since.

SiReNzZ

I ♥ Misty.
    Years
    I started with Pokémon Trading cards with my friends . Suddenly almost everyone in my school had them at the time , it was great :P . I bought so many and I still have them in my house :)

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    Shere and utter boredom. I used to LOATH Pokemon, like seriously hate it, because I watched Digimon first which I loved, when I saw Pokemon I was like "What?! These things can't even talk! How the hell are you meant to understand what they are saying *twitch*

Then I got a GBA, played Incredibles and that Shark Tale, needed more games. At games day in school, I played a friends Leaf Green but hated it, didn;t give it the time of day. Then I got desperate for a game to play and couldn't buy one like that so I asked a friend for a game, all they had was Sapphire, I gave it a go and BAM! I fell in love with the whole RPG Simulation concept of it :D

Also, I deleted a friends Emerald Account with Rare Pokemon like Mew and all that, I'll never forgive my myself for it, but he did in an instant :o

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
    I saw the anime first and fell in love with Team Rocket.
    Then someone told me Pokemon was a game and let me have a go on their Blue version.
    I wasn't really into games at the time, so I sort of... let it slide -.-'
    Then the TGC arrived at school and, yes, it was 'The more cards you have, the cooler you are' which is why I made one of the worst decisions of my life and traded a shiny Mew card for about 150 lesser cards, thinking I was getting the better deal... D:
    It was soon after that that I found out about Hoenn, completely skipping G/S/C, and got R/S (both) for Christmas.

I've been hooked ever since. I'm now sitting patiently waiting for HG/SS so I might sample this place called Jhoto for my first time. :D

Zodiac Realm

I'm a Negative Creep~
    Years
    I started playing it because it was the latest thing at my school and I wanted to fit in. I'm glad I did though. :3

SquirtleGirl

Pokémon: 10 years + Counting..
    Years
    I watched the anime when I was younger and then my brother got Pokémon yellow and I stole it one dayand was addicted and wouldn't give it back XD

mama luigi

It's freakin' Mama Luigi!
    Years
    I guess the reason I love pokemon because the creatures, an epic level-up and evolving system and good music! :)

Crystal-Heart

~Black & White~
    Years
    I got into Pokemon because of the anime. To be exact, I thought Pokemon looked kinda stupid until I watched the anime, however, after watching it, my GameBoy Pocket was less lonely with the b-day gift of Pokemon Blue (since the only GB games I had before Blue were Game & Watch Gallery and Wario Land II).

Although now-a-days, I prefer to play the games and read PokeSpe to watching the anime.

Back