• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What nicknames do you give to your pokemon

Do You Give Your Pokemon A Nickname?

• Yes

Votes: 219 74.7%
  • No

Votes: 74 25.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Scientist

PKMN Scientist/Mathemagician
Years
  • Let's see, my Pokemon nicknames...

Arcanine- Schneider, after the orange-armored Liger Zero in Zoids. Liger Zero Schneider's signature move was also oddly similar to ExtremeSpeed.

Claydol- Pompeii, after the ancient ruins of the Roman city. They have actually found clay dolls in Pompeii, so...

Xatu- Chozo, after the psychokinetic bird aliens in Metroid.

Magnezone/Electrode- Voltech, a combination of "voltage" and "technology"

Tentacruel- Medusa, pretty straightforward.

Dusknoir- Eidolon, as "eidolon" is another word for a ghost.

Gliscor- Jaeger; after naming Arcanine Schneider, I wanted to have a Jaeger and Panzer on my team. Since my Gliscor was by no means a tank, I chose Jaeger.

Bronzong- Panzer, 'cause it's a tank.

Lugia- Ruhiel, after a purple-and-white Lightning Sky robo from the Custom Robo series.

Marowak (female)- GHOST. Do I need to explain this one?

Porygon-Z- uberhax.exe. Do I need to explain this one?

Metagross- Quadraxis, after the four-legged mech boss in Metroid Prime 2: Echoes.

Pumpkinz 4 Mayor

Run! Its the Soup Nazi!
    Years
  • I almost always give my pokemon nicknames, because It just seems boring to be like, "Go, Girafarig!" when it can be like, "Go, Melman!" (I named my girafarig melman once, it was hilarious!) ANyway, my team on Platinum is all nicknamed, I'll just tell you them:

Empoleon-Tsunami
    Staraptor- Jet Plane
    Rotom- DaCableGuy
    Scizor- Freddy K.
    Gardevoir- Elizabeth
    Houndoom- Underdog

Beckie

Thunder!
    Years
  • I NEVER nickname them.
    1. I run out of names in the end.
    2. It looks ugly with names there
    3. ... Yeah.

zappy_flash

Arcanist Lobby usual
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    I usually give nicknames depended on the pokemon's type e.g Voltz, Flare etc but eventually I run out of Ideas

Gusxx1

Name/FC: Gus / 4082 1523 9868
    Years
  • I'm not creative enough to think of nicknames for pokemon sadly. There was probably 3 pokemon i nicknamed after like all the years ive been playing. I named my Aridos bugboy >.< I'm no way creative LOL

Raaji

Back up, I got a stick!
    Years
  • I sometimes give mine nicknames, usually based on type.
    Blaziken-Flare
    Swampert-Muddy
    Empoleon-Flood
    Venusaur-Leafy
    Charizard-Draco
    Torterra-Destoryer (yea I know, could'nt think of anything type related)

Lt_Nite

GnR for life!
    Years
  • I just started naming mine when I got Platinum and I like it, adds a nice personal touch. I kinda have generic names though.
    Luxray:Sparky
    Turtwig:Twiggy
    Spiritomb: Tombstone
    Porygon-Z: Cyber

enViable

The Frozen Fire Alchemist
    Years
  • god no...nicknames are just terrible. The cartoon made sure that they damned nicknames by people like 'Ritchie' calling his pokemon sparky and zippo etc...fkin terrible

Gold95

Am I really...? Gold?
    Years
  • I like to give nicknames to Pokémon sometimes I nickname them by the Jap names:P and I nickname them according to their names
    Example:- Squirtle - Squirty
    Pikachu - ChuChu

JakeProTrainer

Insane Strategist
    Years
  • Even the ones I don't use.

I nickname ALL of my pokemon. Whether catching, breeding, or recieving from someone in-game, you can expect me to nickname them. Most of my nicknames contain references to historical or mythical figures, or shout outs to modern media. In addition, I go out of my way to breed a pokemon that fits a particular character in my fanfic, simply for the fun of it.
    A few nicknames for pokemon that are important to me:
    Lucona- female Lucario.
    Quote- male Tyranitar
    Kirly- female Gardevoir
    Spruce- male Sceptile
    Starlight- male Glaceon
    Broiler- Female Camerupt
    Sasha- Female Magmortar
    Corona- Female Togekiss
    Miz Dread- female Misdreavus
    Galahad- male Gallade
    Neoluna- male Espeon
    Solana- female Flareon
    And that's not even the start of it all!

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2009
    I can't think of any nickname for a Pokemon.
    I guess their given name just fits to them and no other than that. :D

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I once had a Piplup and I nicknamed it Pippy, because that is what I call Piplup sometimes. xD

~Bliss :)

Zanny77

I'm back, baby!
    Years
  • OK, first off, I never used to give nicknames. But ever since I got into the monotype challenges, I've been giving them nicknames. So:

I always name myself "Dan!!!!"
    I always name my rival "Nipples"

As for Pokemon, it varies. I usually come up with weird nicknames for some random thing I think, or it's loosely related to the Pokemon. Like:
    Chimchar = Copper?!?! (I was thinking of BrassMonky, but thought, hey? Y not Copper? And my brother said Copper?!?!, so yea)
    Machoke = Reference? (I was debating to reference my other two Machokes (Cartoons!! from Hoenn or Different! from Kanto) but decided not to.
    As for Cartoons!! and Different!, Cartoons!!, when I caught it, I had said Oh Yeah!, making me remember "Oh Yeah! Cartoons!", so I decided to go with the later instead of Oh Yeah!. As for Different!, At the time of that Machop's capture, I then had a team of:
    Mankey
    Mankey
    MACHOP (Different!)
    Mankey
    Mankey
    Mankey
    Poliwag = HomagesSuk (In this case, making sure not to make an homage to Swirly, my Poliwag from Kanto)
    Mankey = DarwinSux (Monkey, Darwin, related?)
    Any bird I catch to be a Fly Slave = Fly Slave? (In Kanto, I didn't know if I was allowed to have a Fly Slave, so I caught it and put a ? because I wasn't sure, but it has stuck)
    For any cut slave = Cut Slave? (See above)
    Hitmonchan = StingLikeQ (Sting Like a B? No, he stings like a Q.)
    Hitmonchan = UWontBATop (He was NOT going to be a stupid frickin Hitmontop)
    Meditite/Heracross = Finally!!! (Different stories here. Meditie, I had to wait (in Hoenn) until VICTORY ROAD to get it. Heracross...I spent A WHOLE FRICKIN HOUR HEADBUTTING THE WRONG TREES. If you headbutt below Ecruteak, good luck finding one, cause you won't. I went East of Ecruteak, headbutted 4 times, and got it.)
    Slowpoke = I R MEME?! (lolz)
    All Magikarps = Crap (Because they are. It's almost in the name!!)
    Articuno = DelibirdSr (It's seriously just an over-hyped Delibird)
    Kyogre = PidgeyFood (It's sooooo weak, it's Pidgey food)
    Blaziken = Chic N Stu (Chicken Pokemon? Famous SoaD song? Oh yes. :]

DaiLinn

Furry for Lucario
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2010
    I'm currently naming my male Pokemon after Hetalia characters (and a few females), and my female Pokemon after Touhou characters. With some exceptions--such as my Bidoof, Blockhead.

Zanny77

I'm back, baby!
    Years
  • I'm currently naming my male Pokemon after Hetalia characters (and a few females), and my female Pokemon after Touhou characters. With some exceptions--such as my Bidoof, Blockhead.
    Female Blaziken = Flandre?

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Sometimes I accidently catch a pokemon in the safari zone that I already have and I click yes to nickname it by accident so I just type in random things. :) One time in Pokemon Pearl my dad accidently pressed the A button, and it caught a Hoot-Hoot and I nicknamed it Dadcatchit. xD

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back