• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What OS do you use?

What Operating System do you use?

• Windows XP

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Windows Vista

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Windows 7

Votes: 20 45.5%
  • Mac OS X

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Linux

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Took a massive jump from using Windows 98 on a Dell Lattitude D600 to Windows 7 on my new Toshiba a couple of days ago. The difference is a landslide of awww yeah. Then on the family computer, we're running Windows Vista. Still don't see why it's seen as Microsoft's bete noir; I've never encountered any problems with its stability since we got it in April '09.

Would love to try out OSX and Linux but I can't afford a Mac and I don't have the patience to try out Linux. Actually, there's an idea. Maybe I should try installing it on my old laptop.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I can't say much more, but you don't need a Mac to use OSX, you just need a lot of patience.

Wasn't ME DOS-based as well?

In order:
    No, it's completely possible to run OS X on a PC; I've done it on a Dell Mini netbook. You just need patience, time, a spare CD/DVD/flash drive, a copy of OS X retail, and a good temper. I had to redo my installation three times (!) because of various problems with the drivers, and now it works like a little Mac.

The entire 9x series of Windows (95, 98, ME) was DOS-based. 2000, XP, Vista, and 7 are NT based, which explains why they're so much more stable than the 9x series.

Years
    In order:
    No, it's completely possible to run OS X on a PC; I've done it on a Dell Mini netbook. You just need patience, time, a spare CD/DVD/flash drive, a copy of OS X retail, and a good temper. I had to redo my installation three times (!) because of various problems with the drivers, and now it works like a little Mac.
    If it boots once, you shouldn't need to reinstall after stuffing up drivers. Either boot into Safe Mode or Single User mode and kill of the offending kext.

I'd be worried that Snow Leopard would run like a dog on the little netbooks. Plus, the lack of vertical screen height would hurt, given the OSX's habit of not using all the available screen space.

It's a real shame there's only certain wireless cards that work with it, or this laptop would get more time on my Leopard install.

scotlineV3

I ♥ Krabby Patties (XDDDD)
    Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2014
    Whel, i always love Apple!

But, i have Windows 7 Home Premium, its nice, not like that Bullcrap of Vista, it really sucks because i cant make anything right, and that why i buy Win 7!

XDDDD

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Whel, i always love Apple!

But, i have Windows 7 Home Premium, its nice, not like that Bullcrap of Vista, it really sucks because i cant make anything right, and that why i buy Win 7!

XDDDD
    Vista works fine these days.

Years
    I agree completely. Windows 7 is just much fancier and shinier.
    Yeah, it's not even any faster. Don't get me wrong, I prefer 7, but the reason people are so deluded, is because Vista needed specs that were high on release and was released too early. A new, fresh Vista install will run the same as a fresh Windows 7 install. People get a new computer with 7 and are surprised. They fail to see that it's a faster system with no degredation. I've been running this laptop on 7 for since about August last year, and it's a little bloated now, to say the least. That's partially my fault, but nothing beats a fresh install.

Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2012
    I use Ubuntu 10.04 as my main OS, and also have dual-booted with Windows XP.
    Also:
    >Linux
    -facepalms-

Back