• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen What parts of R/B/Y did you enjoy the most?

MarioManH

top kek
Years
  • Title says it all.

For me, it was going through the E4 with my fully evolved team. It just gave me satisfaction defeating the "strongest trainers" with my own Pokemon.

Years
  • It was raising all the Pokemon. It seems with so many Pokemon out there now, completing the Pokedex now will take waaaaaayyyy too much time.

-Slick-

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2017
    Just beating the rival, Green (or whatever you named him) throughout the journey. So satisfying to see him lose after he would talk all that crap to you

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I really enjoyed choosing and training my starter (Squirtle, eventually a level 100 Blastoise). I also have fond memories of beating the Elite Four for the first time, and of catching Mewtwo (with my trusty master ball) after breakfast one Saturday morning with a friend. Years later, I recall completing my Pokedex, which was also immensely satisfying (I had completed my Gold Pokedex by that time, but then Gold died, along with a bunch of my Red Pokemon, and it was difficult to finish my Pokedex with the limited repertoire of games that I had at that point).

A few moments stand out as being challenging when I first played, and were thus satisfying when I finished them. On my first playthrough, I struggled to make my way through Mt. Moon (I even restarted my game to backtrack to the route I had noticed to the left of Viridian (i.e., the path to Victory Road), thinking that was the way to proceed). I also got stuck in Seafoam Islands at one point, and finally found the exit before successfully extinguishing my PP on all of my party members and blacking out. Victory Road was also very challenging for me when I first played, and I was proud of myself when I figured out where to drop the boulders and got through it.

In retrospect, I'm not sure why those elements of the game were difficult, but I guess I've grown a lot in 16-17 years. It still surprises me that I managed to lose against the trainer standing by the ladder I needed in Mt. Moon, and didn't think to trek back there to see what he was blocking (but rather decided to restart the game). Regardless, the difficulty and novelty of my first Pokemon experience made Red memorable in ways that later games were not (even though Gold is still my favorite).

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2016
    In Yellow for me it was the ability to almost follow the path of the anime with getting Pikachu + the 3 original starters. Something unique to the games that's not been imitated since.

I'll echo one of the others though where I'll say that getting through the Elite 4 with a skilled, balanced team is one of the most satisfying gaming experiences I've ever had. I too went through the usual 'raise my starter and nothing else' period at first where I ended up with a level 80 Venusaur ripping everything apart but that didn't compare to the satisfaction of counter play, type matching and planning out strategy to actual win on skill not strength. That sort of 'skill v strength' ideology is something I have always come to appreciate in games and lately (I say lately, I mean 8+ years of it) Avalon fulfils that for me as much as any other game I've played - skill is so much more rewarding than faceroll.

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2015
    Hmm favorite part of yellow was the fact that you could level your pikachu above the badge cap and it would still obey you that and the surfing mini game

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Absolutely it's a toss up between beating the Elite Four for the first time, catching Mewtwo, or when your Pokémon reaches level 100... all are very big moments, especially in Gen I!

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • Being able to go on an adventure, find rare Pokemon and explore. After all, these were the first Pokemon games. They were interesting, a heck of a load of fun and what made my childhood gaming as great as it was.

DarkSkys

Still Alone, Still Alive, Still Unbroken
    Years
  • Though Pikachu was a pain leveling up in Yellow, hitting lvl 100 was my favorite part as well as having him follow me around in game.

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2015
    Both the theories and the early portions of the game. While some people find Gen 1 to be outdated, I still love its early game much more than the rest in the series.

Back