• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Php forum software?

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2020
    I've used the Backend of each forum software I mentioned, yeah.

I'm sorry, I meant to state "seen the back-end" in terms of actually seeing the source code and how everything is done, but whatever.

SMF's is easy to use, but a little too basic and not very in-depth.

phpBB's is pretty nice in terms of looks, but that isn't really what matters. It's pretty confusing until you get used to where everything is (however, this may be because I used IPB 1.3 and MyBB 1.44's Backend's first).

Agreed.

MyBB's is easy to use in my opinion. Everything is laid out nicely and how I like it, and each feature is easy to get to and edit.

MyBB needs to get rid of Smarty and either make use of a better templating solution, or just make one in-house. Since I'm all for code reuse, I vouch for a better templating system. Smarty is the worse thing there is.

IPB's Backend is also nice; alike MyBB's in some ways (even so you have to get used to it first). However, the way Modifications are installed is confusing and are hard to navigate and get to when installed.

The IP.Board back-end is the reason why PHP developers are often laughed at and dismissed at script kiddies. It's messy, and there is no intuitive way for real developers to expand on the code without having to sort through hacky and shoddy implementations of things.

vBulletin's is also great in my opinion. The Modifications are easy to get to when installed, giving themselves a section for themselves at the side.

The sections on the side are up to the modification developer, actually, but yes, vB'S back-end is efficient in the least, except not so much in regards to the hooks system (globals? are you kidding me?). My initial problem with vBulletin is how they fail to completely apply a consistent structure that separates templating from application logic. There are many things in the templates that can just be moved into the controllers, but for some reason, they're just kept there. I hear vB 4.0 is going to have vast improvements, so I look forward to more cohesiveness.

Brushfire

afc bournemouth <3
    Years
    I'm sorry, I meant to state "seen the back-end" in terms of actually seeing the source code and how everything is done, but whatever.

Apologies; no I haven't. I want to learn how to code PHP someday, but at this age... no, I'll pass and wait.

And I agree with all your comments, and even I am surprised that I understood them. :P

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2020
    Apologies; no I haven't. I want to learn how to code PHP someday, but at this age... no, I'll pass and wait.

PHP's bad stuff, especially when it's put to use by show-offs who don't know what they're doing. If I were you, I'd start off with a language that actually has structure, like Python. It can be used for just about any means of application development, including web apps.

And I agree with all your comments, and even I am surprised that I understood them. :P

Well, I'm glad. I really wish there was more consistency as far as forum software goes. Everyone should just work together and fix what is broken in different forum systems, and not go ahead and reinvent the wheel just to fix how logging in works. It's silly; there are so many accepted solutions around as far as forum systems go. Unless they are doing something good and worthwhile, then we don't need another one falling behind in the competition.

Brushfire

afc bournemouth <3
    Years
    PHP's bad stuff, especially when it's put to use by show-offs who don't know what they're doing. If I were you, I'd start off with a language that actually has structure, like Python. It can be used for just about any means of application development, including web apps.

Well, I'm glad. I really wish there was more consistency as far as forum software goes. Everyone should just work together and fix what is broken in different forum systems, and not go ahead and reinvent the wheel just to fix how logging in works. It's silly; there are so many accepted solutions around as far as forum systems go. Unless they are doing something good and worthwhile, then we don't need another one falling behind in the competition.

]I've considered Python, actually. I started learning it and coded a Blog and a couple of other things with it, actually. I'd like to learn more someday, but I'm a bit busy lately (and yes, watching Anime and posting on forums counts as busy x_x) so I'll have to work on it when I have some 'free' time.

I agree with the second comment completely. I honestly don't see why they don't do just that and create a flawless but at the same time brilliant forum software, but who knows. I always thought the same thing regarding the big gaming companies like Sony and Microsoft too. I mean, if they just worked together then they'd achieve much more. :/

Back