• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Legends: Arceus] What role will Arceus play?

pkmin3033

Probably/hopefully a very minor one, honestly. The thing about creator deities in fiction is that less is more - the more you write about a deity and bring it down to the level where it can be compared to mere mortals, the less impressive it is. Ignoring that Arceus can be confined inside a Pokeball like every other Pokemon for a minute, I'd prefer it if it wasn't captured or somehow extorted by the trainer or antagonist simply because that'd reduce it to being just like any other Legendary. Let it be an omnipotent background force that people might strive for, but will never actually reach. Let it play a part in the world and in the narrative, but as something beyond such petty concerns, rather than at the heart of them. Let gods be gods.

I'm just reminded of the 12th movie...in which Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina couldn't touch Arceus, and yet one hit from Pikachu's Thunderbolt stopped it in its tracks. Elemental plate negation BS aside, let's not have something like that again.

Years
  • Make him the villain.

I'd actually be interested in this, but maybe that's getting a little too close to BotW territory haha. But would still be interesting 👍

I agree with Dawn on not giving Arceus an excessive amount of involvement though, since I'd like the history/lore behind it to still remain a big enough mystery as a god Pokémon. Just getting glimpses of it building the world with its powers before flying off and disappearing seems really interesting, and something I'd love to see.

Oddly enough, Wikipedia claims Arceus will play a major role, but the citation they used for that data doesn't actually state that.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    I agree with Dawn's points that giving too much explanation usually hurts the deity character more than helps it. Similar to Deoxys and Jirachi in gen 3 games, they were nearly non-existent. It certainly maintains their "mythological" status.

Considering this instalment of the Legends series is named after Arceus, I can't imagine he will play a minor role. I don't think he'll be something we will directly interact with until the very end, but his influence will be (should be) felt around us every step of the way. Whether that means he is trying - and failing - to rid the world of some type of evil, or is the source of that evil himself, is up to the developers. I'd be happy either way. So long as his reach and influence is massive, and permeates almost every facet of the storytelling.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I agree that Arceus will probably play a major role - else it wouldn't make much sense to name the game after it. We still don't know if this game will be heavily collection/challenge/journey based or if it will be very story-driven. The main series pokémon games have a track record for not really being the latter, even though they certainly tried more with SuMo/USUM d: (can't say anything about Galar as I didn't play those games).

I hope they won't let us catch Arceus, honestly. As others have said here, it's much more interesting if they let it be a deity-like being and not just something you can toss a Thunderbolt at and confine to a ball on your belt.

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen yesterday
    (can't say anything about Galar as I didn't play those games).

your not missing much, galar games didn't really have much of a story and the anime covered it a hell of a lot better then the games did...
    well, not like you can expect much when this is how the games start...
    eNS8Lui.jpg

Years
  • I am thinking perhaps some more story/lore to do with Arceus. I am thinking maybe why people consider it the God of Pokémon and the universe itself. Arceus possibly could have a new form in this game or something unique about it.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I would be so interested in an evil god, dude. Maybe it's causing all those Pokémon to get aggressive. Or maybe that's Giratina and they'll actually do something with it and the distortion world for once.

Either way, I think the setting kind of prevents the bog-standard "evil team wants to catch legendary Pokémon to reshape the world", since they'd very likely not have the technology to catch gods. Which makes me hopeful.

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2022
    I'd love it if they made it so Arceus is uncatchable; it would even make sense since the Pokeballs of the era are less technologically advanced. It's probably not going to happen because Pokemon is all about collecting them all, but it's an interesting idea. Regarding its plot relevance, I'm sort of wondering if we'll see the construction of some the ruins Cynthia studies. It would be cool, but I'm not sure it's far enough in the past for that.

Years
  • imo this game could be about the real friendship between humans and pokemon. several times it's said that pokemon are horrible creatures and that humans and pokemon live separately, so basically our job will be to bring peace between humans and pokemon, while we complete the pokedex. Arceus is angry at us. why? because their creations are battling against each other not understanding they can be great companions. in the trailer we see a thunder attack on a tree and that's probably Arceus. i think this game will hopefully not be only just about completing the first Sinnoh pokedex but also the chapter of Sinnoh story when the era of pokemon and humans living separate lives finally ends.

Years
  • imo this game could be about the real friendship between humans and pokemon. several times it's said that pokemon are horrible creatures and that humans and pokemon live separately, so basically our job will be to bring peace between humans and pokemon, while we complete the pokedex. Arceus is angry at us. why? because their creations are battling against each other not understanding they can be great companions. in the trailer we see a thunder attack on a tree and that's probably Arceus. i think this game will hopefully not be only just about completing the first Sinnoh pokedex but also the chapter of Sinnoh story when the era of pokemon and humans living separate lives finally ends.

This theory is looking more likely. It just fits with what we've seen thus far in the trailers and all that. I will come back to this next year after 1-2 weeks after release!!

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Arceus has always been dubbed at the 'god' pokemon even though it was only confirmed to be that in Sinnoh and not really the rest of the games except for maybe Kanto to Sinnoh gens.... that being said, I really hope they give him a new form to become more powerful than pokemon like Black/White Kyurem and Alola Trio who seem to be far more godly. Even Zygarde seems more of a god than Arceus with his Earth Defending form.

My personal opinion though, we will focus more on a new mythical pokemon. We have only had one true Mythical Pokemon in Gen 8 and that is Zarude. We haven't gotten our 'cutey playful' mythical yet. Which could possibly be our original Lake Master.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I wanted to add this after rewatching the Darkrai movie, which I plan to rewatch all Sinnoh movies, if Arceus was to get a new form, I really do hope the form is based on the song Oracion. Which is the song that soothed and stopped Palkia and Dialga and then, while I am not sure it played in the Hoopa movie, Arceus ended up soothing all the legendary pokemon.

In the Darkrai movie, the towers of space and time almost grew like wings which reminded me of Arceus, so Arcus circle thing, turning into wings and calling it its Oracion form, or something that sounds like it, would be amazing.

Back