• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] What ROM is the best for hacking?

→goon

pokémon auburn version←
    Years
    HOWEVER: I heard that Emerald is very unstable. I don't know how unstable it is and to what extent.

LOL UNSTABLE.

There is no unstable ROM. Different ROMs have different offsets. This is a common misconception because people don't read. Instead, they use a tool that isn't made for Emerald. Or an inexperienced tool maker uses the same offsets as Ruby because they believe them to be the same. People should at least think about what they are saying before they make a statement like that. Honestly, does anyone believe that Nintendo/Gamefreak would release an unstable game?

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    No hassle of removing the truck script

If you're creative, perhaps you can utilize the truck script. Not everything should be looked on as a disadvantage.

HOWEVER: I heard that Emerald is very unstable. I don't know how unstable it is and to what extent.

No statement is more false than this one. Emerald is not unstable at all. It's the tools that are unstable, as they are basically programmed to search for specific offsets, which are different in Emerald than in R/S. If you'll notice, A-map, which I believe is offset-dynamic (meaning that it doesn't necessarily look for specific information in a specific offset), works just fine with Emerald.

OH and IMO I think you should learn how to do some stuff in FR/LG then go on to R/S/E, because of the fact that there are more tutorials. FR/LG are easier for beginners.
    It's not easier for beginners. Both are equally the same. It's the same action in both ROMs to do just about everything. Most tutorials (Like the XSE tutorials?) are backwards-compatible with both Ruby and FireRed; I mean, they're essentially the same to hack. Picking one is simply a matter of personal preference. I mean, myself, I have struggles with graphical work. Since FireRed has overall better graphics and they appeal to me more, I work with FireRed. Take your pick, really.

I don't know how many times in these sorts of threads Ruby was recommended over FireRed. Nearly all of the advantages each has over the other can be made in the other by using some creative hacking.

EDIT: Why does everyone beat me to the punch and say exactly what I was saying? D:
    I mean, seriously, both of you guys posted while I was typing this.

Micael Alighieri

Helix Boo / Lord Kaktus, ex-member from Whack a Ha
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2017
    no what he saing is 5months in rom hacking isnt something to brag about. obviously some people are faster than others but time brings expirence I have been hacking for a year now and I can easly say the longer you hack the better you will become.

and congrats sharpoint :D

I'm sorry, but I didn't say 5 months in rom hacking, I said 5 months with Pokemon Emerald. I'm on rom hacking since three years.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
    like I said it dosent matter how much time but how much skill. there are slow and fast learners ao you cant use that as a base.

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    I don't know why some people hate hacking Emerald so much, it's just that there aren't as many tools for it. I think it's the best ROM to hack, since it's the most "up-to-date" GBA Pokemon game. It has everything that FireRed does, plus more, such as the PokeNav, the clock (and the clock means you can have Espeon and Umbreon), animations, and A LOT more music. The only thing that Emerald doesn't have over FireRed is 4 world maps, and that's not really a concern for me.

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2016
    Hmm well I don't know I just hear many people saying Emerald is unstable.. I guess it's not though.. And I've also never had any trouble using it unless I accidentally overwrote some important bytes (like certain 0's).

Also, I never really meant that the truck script is bad (for my purposes, at least). It's just that I always see people complaining about it. I guess people don't hack Ruby as much simply because.. FireRed is the most hacked rom?

All in all, it's not really THAT much of a difference between roms... Ruby does have more free space, but of course any roms can be extended to 32 MB now. Also, although Ruby has RTC, FireRed has 4 worldmaps. I guess it just depends on your purposes. Also did I mention FireRed has a lot more space (blocks) for Tileset 0? This let's you have more tiles in the major tileset.

Last edited:

Aberbecam

Banned
    Years
    For newbie rom hackers. Uhmmm..
    For newbie rom hackers i suggest to hack Ruby.
    In my opinion ruby is one of the easiest rom to hack graphics. (Titlescreen,Bootscreen etc)
    And as for Fire Red, Its one of the hardest rom to hack graphics in. It mostly requires a tool thats known as Tile Molester.
    But for mapping, tile inserting and scripting both of them are equal. But just for little more easiness i suggest all the newbies to use Ruby. And while you develop your rom hacking skills you can move on to Fire Red.

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
    Personal Preference. Nothing more, nothing less.
    And a ROM is not unstable, it just doesn't have correct support for a certain tool. :P

Back