• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What should you do if... {about weaknesses}

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2020
    ...your pokemon gets a whole lot of damage from a particular type? Like, Torterra gets x4 damage from ice. @_@'

I guess what I need to know is, what items (whether to hold or to eat) raise defense (so the ice types don't KO him) AND accuracy? I'd like to give him rock tomb or stone edge to fight all the types he's weak against but they both have an accuracy of only 80. (Plus, later on I want to give him leaf storm and that's accuracy is low too).

I'd be much obliged for your help! Especially since I can use it with other pokemon :)

Last edited:

Sora_8920

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Well, put simply, Switch. It's part of Competitive Battling. :P

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
  • You have ALOT to learn.

First, Leaf Storm is terrible, he has low SP.ATK.

Second, to solve your problem, there are berries that covers weakness. Wacan, for example, allows Gyarados to take less damage from electric type moves.

But thats a short fix. A long time fix, however, would be to SWITCH FROM ICE MOVES, to another poke on your team. Proper playing skills cover his weaknesses.

Plus, Torterra is weak to Ice MOVES, not Ice types. Porygon-Z uses Ice Beam, but is not an Ice type.

Sora_8920

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Well, for one, he would take a either a Large dent, or a OHKO. Which is, trust me, something you don't want.

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2020
    You have ALOT to learn.

First, Leaf Storm is terrible, he has low SP.ATK.

Second, to solve your problem, there are berries that covers weakness. Wacan, for example, allows Gyarados to take less damage from electric type moves.

But thats a short fix. A long time fix, however, would be to SWITCH FROM ICE MOVES, to another poke on your team. Proper playing skills cover his weaknesses.

Plus, Torterra is weak to Ice MOVES, not Ice types. Porygon-Z uses Ice Beam, but is not an Ice type.

Trust me, I know I have a lot to learn. ^^" I used to just decide what attacks to give my pokemon as they leveled up--I didn't think about it beforehand, but I'm trying to now. And you're right he does have low sp.atk. Hmmmm...

I didn't know that about berries! Thanks! Now I would just need to find a Yache Berry. Hopefully those aren't too hard to find...

And I actually knew that it was ice moves not ice types. But I realize I mixed that up in my first post. @_@' I will switch if he starts getting attacked with ice moves, but if I ever get surprised by a pokemon I didn't know had an ice move I'd rather not get OHKO before I have a chance to switch. Besides, I just want to eliminate his weaknesses as much as possible.

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
  • I will switch if he starts getting attacked with ice moves, but if I ever get surprised by a pokemon I didn't know had an ice move I'd rather not get OHKO before I have a chance to switch. Besides, I just want to eliminate his weaknesses as much as possible.

Actually, it wouldn't do much to switch out when Torterra 'starts' to be attacked by Ice attacks, as he'll likely be killed in a single hit, or at least be dented beyond use.

What you need to learn first is what moves Pokemon typically carry. For example, when an enemy sends out Starmie against your Torterra, it's not a free kill for Torterra- Starmie typically carries Ice Beam, meaning Torterra is dead. For a quick reference as to what Pokemon carries what moves, look at Smogon's DP Analyses. Keep in mind that many people choose to deviate from standard builds, or use different builds altogether (Garchomp has 4 different builds- be wary when you fight him!). When you become familiar with the standard builds, you're able to predict an enemy better, and you'll be sure to switch out Torterra before he gets Ice Beamed to death.

Oh, and you can find Yache Berries on wild Starlies (5% chance). Take a Pokemon that knows Thief and use it on every Starly outside Sandgem.

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2020
    Actually, it wouldn't do much to switch out when Torterra 'starts' to be attacked by Ice attacks, as he'll likely be killed in a single hit, or at least be dented beyond use.

What you need to learn first is what moves Pokemon typically carry. For example, when an enemy sends out Starmie against your Torterra, it's not a free kill for Torterra- Starmie typically carries Ice Beam, meaning Torterra is dead. For a quick reference as to what Pokemon carries what moves, look at Smogon's DP Analyses. Keep in mind that many people choose to deviate from standard builds, or use different builds altogether (Garchomp has 4 different builds- be wary when you fight him!). When you become familiar with the standard builds, you're able to predict an enemy better, and you'll be sure to switch out Torterra before he gets Ice Beamed to death.

Oh, and you can find Yache Berries on wild Starlies (5% chance). Take a Pokemon that knows Thief and use it on every Starly outside Sandgem.

Yay! Thank you. That helps a lot :)

Back