• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What sparked your initial interest in Black and White?

MrsNorrington

Lady Loki
Years
    • Age 34
    • Fl
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    It's obvious why I was interested in Black/White! Ever since Red, I've been looking forward to each and every new Pokemon game!

I was really excited for a new generation of Pokemon, a new region, new villianious team, new older play characters, new 3-D graphics and animated battles!!

The first Pokemon I saw of generation 5 was Zoroak. When I first saw him I wasn't sure he was legit. I thought he might be a fake Pokemon from one of those hack games.

I was so excited I imported both games from Japan! They're amazing!!!

Years
  • I was on Serebii and noticed a bulletin about a new pokemon named Zororua (or whatever it was called). After that i did some research and Voila!! I'm not too excited but when march comes...

JustinDestruction

Rockin' Trainer
    Years
  • It was really just the fact that we knew a new Pokémon game was coming out, and that I was ready for a new adventure with new Pokémon. I saw Zorua and Zoroark on serebii.net and thought "I need those Pokémon, they are epic."

The new graphics and battle animations seemed promising, as well as many of the features. I was rather disappointed that the Pokémon following you was removed though. At first when I saw the new starters I was immediately turned off, fearing a generation of Pokémon that I would like even less than those from D/P. As more were released though, I found some to be pretty interesting, so that also helped. The new features all seemed pretty cool, and I liked that there was now a difference between Black and White aside from the Pokémon found in them. In addition to all of that, Team Plasma, N, and the whole cast of new characters-and the fact they're now 18-really interested me.

Bay

Years
  • What actually got me interested in Black and White are Reshiram and Zekrom. I know about those two dark type foxes, but I wasn't getting any high expectations on the fifth gen games yet. When the legendaries were revealed though, I suddenly wanted to know more about what kind of roles they'll play and what kind of game Black and White will be. I tend began keeping up with most of the Black and White news and now I'm really excited for the games.

Last edited:

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • I agree with Forever, it was the speculation that got me interested. But also, "Like OMG, they're making ANOTHER GENERATION?!! *screams*" Diamond was my first proper Pokemon game, one that I actually owned, so I was introduced to Pokemon gaming quite late, 2006/7 I think. Basically, after playing that and hearing there was another Generation around the corner I became excited and wanted to talk about it with the rest of you. I had some good time in that Gen 5 Discussion Thread on Pokemon General.

First Pokemon I saw was Zoroark, wasn't really interested in it as it looked quite bland. Zoroa was cute though, but I like both Pokemon now. Next were Reshiram and Zekrom which were awesome. I liked Zekrom first but after realising Reshiram would be in Black, which I wanted to get, I warmed to it. And then it was SNIVY BABY! :D

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • What interested me was the chance to see a new region and new pokemon :) (this was before the region was or the names were even released and I only knew about two pokemon)
    Haha maybe that explains why I'm like the number 1 BW fanboy :)

Logan_AT

Often Lost in Thought
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2014
    I admit to being an old fart (Gen 3 and 4? Bah, git offa my lawn, kids!) when it comes to pokemon games, so when B/W's dex was announced I was rather indifferent to the whole affair. The new game mechanics caught my vague interest--I scoffed at it first, but now that there's more data about it I've changed my mind and wouldn't mind trying it out myself. That the game forces you to use a whole different set of Pokemon until you pass the Elite sounds like a chance to build up a whole new team and strategy, though considering how the new pokemon fit almost too neatly in the typing slots of the first generation, I'm not sure if that's really what it will accomplish.

...And the billion legendary dragons. What the heck, people. I like my dragons as much as the next guy, but THIS many all at once?

I'm willing to drop money to give this game a chance, but I'm skeptical about it delivering everything its been hyped about.

otaku-dono

Merkabah
    Years
  • The potential for cool new Pokemon really. I knew that the Pokemon I'd like the most overall wouldn't be released before the games were (it tends to be the case), but I still decided to slug it out since Pokemon is just so good.

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2022
    Just the fact that Black and White are the newest Pokemon games sparked my interest. Aren't we all just waiting for new Pokemon adventures to play? :D

Years
  • Just the fact that Black and White are the newest Pokemon games sparked my interest. Aren't we all just waiting for new Pokemon adventures to play? :D
    I agree with you, I waited for a long time for a fifth gen and was happy like crazy to get to have a new adventure in a new region with new pokemon, when the new gen was announced I posted 20 speculation post if not more every day on the topic to show my excitement...

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2022
    I agree with you, I waited for a long time for a fifth gen and was happy like crazy to get to have a new adventure in a new region with new pokemon, when the new gen was announced I posted 20 speculation post if not more every day on the topic to show my excitement...

Ah I was the same when the games were announced...And on the day that the entire Pokedex was leaked I got crazy excited and couldn't think about anything else.

Years
  • Ah I was the same when the games were announced...And on the day that the entire Pokedex was leaked I got crazy excited and couldn't think about anything else.
    I was also excited (and skeptical about the Pokedex) when it was first revealed. One of the things that helped increased my excitement was the announcement of the Legendary mascots, they looks so awesome, Reshiram was so angelic, while Zekrom was mechanical and scary looking :)

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2022
    I was also excited (and skeptical about the Pokedex) when it was first revealed. One of the things that helped increased my excitement was the announcement of the Legendary mascots, they looks so awesome, Reshiram was so angelic, while Zekrom was mechanical and scary looking

I actually was kind of annoyed by Reshiram...it reminds me of a giant fire chicken, which is not cool in my opinion. I agree that Zekrom is awesome, though.

butterbiscuit

Potential!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2013
    Well, I always get interested in Pokemon games probably just because it's a Pokemon game. XD
    The fact that I'm also going to see new Pokemon and a new region helps, too.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • What sparked your initial interest in Black and White?

Well, at first I was worried that Arceus and his "Pokemon-creation" concept would serve as a strange finality to the main series games' Pokemon, especially with the ending number (493 during Gen 4) being so close to a solid 500. That silhouette had me really worried. A twig-like arm, weird hair, and a freaking Pokemon ponytail? What is this guy trying to be? But when that turned into this menacing beast...

What sparked your initial interest in Black and White?

...I had very high hopes that Generation V would have promise. Zorua wasn't too bad either. Proceed to the silhouettes of the starters. They could have gone wrong in so many ways. :cer_no: When the full-colored starter designs were revealed, I was amazed. Six new Pokemon slowly unveiled, and all of them look cool?!

The revealed names Pokemon Black and White Versions hyped me up even more. I first found out the titles on Spriters' Resource, with a simple statement of "Black and White have been announced. Woo." I rushed back to Bulbapedia and PokeCommunity, because I just knew that anything involving distinctive colors coming in a pair being mentioned on a website related to videogames is bound to be Pokemon. Behold the sleek logos (the Japanese ones). :cer_boogie: I thought that would be the icing on the cake... We arrive at the advent of Reshiram and Zekrom. WITH FREAKING TURBINE TAILS!!!! Commence squeeing. I was like, "Could this generation get anymore awesome/epic?"

The leak of the final starter evos and various other additions and removals in BW started to simmer down, but I won't elaborate. The combination of the steady release of eight Pokemon in a row with awesome designs, along with cool logos, color names, and legendary concepts had me hooked on the games, and now though some hype has "died down," I'm still stoked for BW (technically, the third version, though, which is essentially the same game). If Game Freak can make that strange-looking Zoroark silhouette into something awesome (Zoroark), that almost conveys the quality of what the generation will be. :D

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
    Years
  • Well, I was taking a bit of a break from Pokemon, and towards the end I checked Serebii to see if there was anything new going on. All that was there was Zoroark's silhouette, and I thought it was awesome, but then forgot about it. I check again later on in the year and there it is - Reshiram and Zekrom, magnificently posing on the home page in all their glory. Those two Pokemon got me so excited for B/W

ChrisTheChaosGamer

Hailing From Hoenn
    Years
  • there were a lot of factors that got me into black and white. i've been a fan of every pokemon game since the start and i havent backed out of it since. only thing is i never got the chance to play diamond, pearl and platinum. but other than that, i've owned every generation of the games.

what mainly got me into black and white was the pokemon. as the leaks came in, the more excited i got about it. another thing that got me into the games was the introduction of triple battles and rotation battles. it seems like it could bring a good strategy-based gameplay into each battle. also, a lot of the features that comes with the game seems like it's impossible to fit so much into that little ds card. i'm so curious to see what they came up with i havent seen yet

Back