• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What sparked your initial interest in Black and White?

Dent

taste the café m o c h a ♥
Years
  • I became interested in the games due to the Best Wishes! hype. Originally I had not cared much about the games, but over time I gradually became more excited for their English release.

Hypno

OT: Eggaro
    Years
  • Just the fact that it is a new adventure and a Pokemon game, which is the only reason why I still have a DS.

Years
  • I was interested from the moment I heard about it, regardless of what it's about or what Pokemon you can catch. :> Not really a big deal in my book.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • Because they're Pokemon games and I've loved Pokemon for as long as I can remember. Gen IV was a bit of a let down for me, so I wanted to see how they'd do with Gen V.

I haven't played the games yet, but from what I've seen, they look pretty sweet. Hopefully they live up to the hype.

Corruptodile

Ma chérie, Je t'aime.
    Years
    • Age 30
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 19, 2016
    Simply because it's a new generation with new pokemon designs that really catch my eye.

Andrew McKenzie

Supporting Pokemon Since 1999
    Years
  • New Generation for one.

Then the new Pokemon designs.

Then the new Region.

New graphics.

New everything.

Also the fact that this is the first generation to add more NEW Pokemon to the games than any previous generation bar the first one, which added the first Pokemon to the entire franchise, lol.

R/B/G/Y: 151
    G/S/C: 152 - 251 (100 Added)
    R/S/E: 252 - 386 (135 Added)
    D/P/PT: 387 - 493 (107 Added)
    B/W/?: 494 - 649 (156 Added)

And yeah, I'll be here with Pokemon until it finally ends for good or until I drop dead.
    That's how dedicated I am, even if people keep "losing faith" with each generation.
    But that's what they always do, they see the new generation, are afraid of change,
    thrash it before it releases, get it when it's released and then they love it.
    Constant cycle.

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2011
    The new, decent looking pokemon... I'm picky about the, but happy when I saw pokemon that actually looked decent. Graphically is was fine, so at least Nintendo wasn't going backwards :P

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    First off, the fact that its a new flippin' generation! I love the fact that I get enthusiastic for every new generation (except Gen 4, I don't know why but I still like Gen 4). Second, triple battles and endless TMs! xD

I like what every generation brings in as a surprise. And I'm totally getting the 3DS because of this. :3

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • Why was I excited for it? Need it be asked?
    Well, I guess just because it was a new game. It's always nice to have a new game to play, especially since I get bored of them after a while. Also because the games are my main connection to the franchise, I don't really pay attention to much else. I guess I just like to try new things, or at least new parts of an old thing.
    And once I saw the new features, my excitement just kept growing.

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2012
    I think I was Mostly Interested in the design of the new pokemon and the 3d Features

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I was initially interested because... well, it's a new Pokémon generation! I didn't like the names but I was giddy with excitement to be the first person on my twitter feed to announce them! What probably got me the most excited was the release of the trainers. :) We got confirmation that they seemed a bit older (which suits me just fine since I'm not 10 anymore XD) and that made it seem more "for me". That and the hype with the starters being announced really got me into it, even if I didn't particularly like any of the starters a whole lot. XD

(Though I guess my first reaction was to curse it because I didn't want to deal with adding a new forum or the complaints of "WHY ISN'T THERE A FORUM FOR B/W?? WE HAVE LOGOS TO DISCUSS!!!!")

mochilicious

the first little piggy
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2016
    I've always disliked new generations of Pokemon, and my favorite is still the first, but after some time, I gave in and looked at the new designs, and that's what got me. Good aesthetics really work >.<

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • Was Zoura and Zoroak revealed before the Black and White title names were released or no? I can't remember. Well what really caught my attention is the speculation of where the new region will be located and what will be called, and what remakes are going to follow these games ;] I was more interested in the Region itself, how many cities, what climate changes there are, etc. Im pretty pleased with Unova to say the least.

Volcarona

then live beautifully until the end
    Years
  • Initially, I was indifferent. I did not fancy Zoroark, the starters, and the other early releases. My first favorite BW Pokemon was Meguroko, although I am somewhat disappointed with its final evolution. My first flawless favorites were the BW mascot legendaries.

I was not quite convinced until... I played Route 1. The leaves blow around you... I do not recall previous games doing that. Someone on the team is going the extra mile for the fans. I might as well learn to love the new species, which I have now. :)

Hydreigon

R a w r
    Years
  • I was really interested from the beginning, despite the initial negative view I had of the starter Pokemon. But I was psyched from the start, it's still a brand new game. :DD

Haxorus

Ononokusu
    Years
  • The high quality of the screeens and the potential of a more advanced plot enticed me at first.
    The Pokemon that were being released looked cool to me as well. Too bad they showcased their best ones and leaved the derps for last.

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
  • I was a little nervous about Gen 5 at first. I really didn't think they could possibly add any more awesomeness to the series...probably because I'm not that creative. xD But boy, this past half-year has proved me wrong. GameFreak has proved that they are far from running out of ideas, from the graphics to the music to the storyline...I can't wait for March. :D

Back