• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What, the frig, is so great about Entei?

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    What makes Entei so big and important that it gets Sacred Fire, but Raikou and Suicune get the lamer Extrasensory? Why aren't they important enough to get some big powerful STAB move that used to be an exclusive move of some other legendary too? Anyone else annoyed by this or is it just me? :D

Years
  • Entei is caught in Alpha Saphhire and Omega Ruby.
    Yes, but the topic in hand isn't to do with ORAS specifically, it's about The Legendary Dogs in general.

But to answer your question: as far as I'm aware, Suicune can learn Hydro Pump and Raikou can learn Thunder. Both of these attacks are more powerful than Sacred Fire, but just have less accuracy. I don't think the fact that it's an exclusive move of a Pokemon makes too much of a difference because the attacks the other Dogs know, as I said, are more powerful but have less accuracy. Also, Entei was "created" by Ho-oh so I think it makes sense it learns that move.

Years
  • Yes, but the topic in hand isn't to do with ORAS specifically, it's about The Legendary Dogs in general.

But to answer your question: as far as I'm aware, Suicune can learn Hydro Pump and Raikou can learn Thunder. Both of these attacks are more powerful than Sacred Fire, but just have less accuracy. I don't think the fact that it's an exclusive move of a Pokemon makes too much of a difference because the attacks the other Dogs know, as I said, are more powerful but have less accuracy. Also, Entei was "created" by Ho-oh so I think it makes sense it learns that move.

All three of them were though.

As for why Entei is so special, he's not. Sure, he has that attack. But if any Legendary cat was special, it'd be Suicune.

It got a pretty important role in one of the most well-known Pokemon movies, it's on the cover of one of the most popular games, Crystal, and while Raikou and Entei are only roaming the Johto region, it actually has a story and is a part of the main story of the games in 2nd and 4th generation.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Yes, but the topic in hand isn't to do with ORAS specifically, it's about The Legendary Dogs in general.

Well it does and I'll explain why, Sacred Fire is a gen 6 only move, Entei could never learn Sacred fire in Gen 5 or earlier, it's catchable in ORAS only (in gen 6) and therefore it learning Sacred Fire was actually ORAS specifically but Raikou could ALWAYS learn Thunder in every gen and Suicune could ALWAYS learn Hydro Pump in every gen, (and they could both learn Extrasensory since Gen 4) it was just gen 6 that suddenly had Entei know this really great move, but the other two could go suck an egg as far as the programmers were concerned, so I just figured it was pretty unfair that Entei gets the special treatment and I figured it was undeserved, really.

All three of them were though.

As for why Entei is so special, he's not. Sure, he has that attack. But if any Legendary cat was special, it'd be Suicune.

It got a pretty important role in one of the most well-known Pokemon movies, it's on the cover of one of the most popular games, Crystal, and while Raikou and Entei are only roaming the Johto region, it actually has a story and is a part of the main story of the games in 2nd and 4th generation.

THANK YOU! Not that I'm trying to start an "entei Sucks!" post, but I'm glad someone else sees it too, lol!

Last edited:
    Years
  • Ah never mind me. I wasn't aware of what that attack is. What Avocado said makes kinda sense. Either that or they just wanted to make Entei special, being a legendary and all.
    Why does this bother you so much anyway?

Years
  • All three of them were though.

Yeah, but Entei is Fire-type so it kind of makes sense.

I don't think this is a big issue anyway, considering it's regarding one move. I don't think they did this to make Entei special. Maybe we'll see the other Dogs learn special moves in Gen 7.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    Maybe it's for the same reason as why Flareon now learns Flare Blitz, because it would suck otherwise? Suicune and Raikou were always good choices in battle especially because their best attack options were using their better Special Attack. Entei on the other hand is physical offensive, but lacks a good physical Stab. Now that it learns Sacret Fire, it finally good that hindrance patched up.

Years
  • I saw the title and thought, "What, people think Entei is great?"

But that said, Raikou already has special STAB moves like Thunderbolt and Discharge to use its nice Special Attack with, while Suicune is defensive and doesn't really need anything extra. But Entei doesn't have anything good for that beyond Fire Fang (and Flare Blitz, but that was only with an event I think was in Generation V). With Sacred Fire, it can actually use that effectively to at least somewhat of a degree.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Game Freak has always played favorites with Pokemon. Blaziken got a mega evo before Swampert and Sceptile did. White Kyurem can make full use of its Ice STAB while Black Kyurem can't. Raichu is routinely shafted in favor of Pikachu. It's the same here.

Though I think that Raikou has it the worst; it never even had a major role in any of the movies, unlike Entei and Suicune. And Suicune even was the box legendary of Crystal and is probably the most well-known of the 3 in the because of it's CroCune set.

pkmin3033

It's because its voiced by Dan Green in the third Pokemon movie.

I dunno why people think Entei is so great, as I was unaware that people DID think it was so great. I'd assume it's because it's the only one of the three Legendary Beasts that got its own movie - Suicune was only really a cameo in the fourth movie, and all Raikou got was a special. Entei was the undisputed star...voiced by Dan Green. It's just another random inexplicable favourite Game Freak seem to have.

You think Entei is bad? At least it's a Legendary, unlike certain aura-sensing Pokemon, which even displace another Legendary in another game for no reason whatsoever...THAT pisses me off. Compared to that, I can deal with the random Entei favouritism - Suicune makes mincemeat of it in-game, and Raikou will always look the coolest to me, so it's fairly easy to ignore. xD

TheSyren

Veteran Breeder
    Years
  • Well it does and I'll explain why, Sacred Fire is a gen 6 only move, Entei could never learn Sacred fire in Gen 5 or earlier, it's catchable in ORAS only (in gen 6) and therefore it learning Sacred Fire was actually ORAS specifically but Raikou could ALWAYS learn Thunder in every gen and Suicune could ALWAYS learn Hydro Pump in every gen, (and they could both learn Extrasensory since Gen 4) it was just gen 6 that suddenly had Entei know this really great move, but the other two could go suck an egg as far as the programmers were concerned, so I just figured it was pretty unfair that Entei gets the special treatment and I figured it was undeserved, really.

THANK YOU! Not that I'm trying to start an "entei Sucks!" post, but I'm glad someone else sees it too, lol!

Sacred Fire was introduced in Gen II as Ho-Oh's signature move. i'm not sure whether you meant to word it like that, but just in case you did, its not a Gen VI only move.

as for why Entei gets sacred fire, idk why. i was just looking at him, and i seem to remember that in the previous generations, he had a terrible movepool. maybe they gave him a revamp. however, i guess they are making a play at what he represents. Entei is based upon Chinese guardian lions, so maybe they gave him the move from another guardian, Ho-Oh. its a really far stretched theory, but his movepool before was really lack-luster and now he can kind of hold his own.

Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2015
    It's pretty easy to see why Entei learns Sacred Fire. Since Ho-oh revived the Legendary Beasts, as well as how Ho-oh itself can learn the move, it would make a lot of sense that Entei can learn it too, as they're both Fire types and whatnot. I'm not bothered by this than most people because of this.

I do think that Suicune gets the most treatment of the three, however. It has it's own game, after all.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • What makes Entei so big and important that it gets Sacred Fire, but Raikou and Suicune get the lamer Extrasensory? Why aren't they important enough to get some big powerful STAB move that used to be an exclusive move of some other legendary too? Anyone else annoyed by this or is it just me? :D

I don't know if you follow competitive, but Entei is one of the worst legendaries. It deserved to get Sacred Fire (which is a great move for it as it uses its best attacking stat) for balancing reasons.

Also, you can't argue Entei is favored by GF when Suicune is the one which in the cover of a main series game. I could start the same thread on Suicune instead and I'd have more merit.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I don't know if you follow competitive, but Entei is one of the worst legendaries. It deserved to get Sacred Fire (which is a great move for it as it uses its best attacking stat) for balancing reasons.

Also, you can't argue Entei is favored by GF when Suicune is the one which in the cover of a main series game. I could start the same thread on Suicune instead and I'd have more merit.
    I think instead we should start a "Does the Franchise hate Raikou? Thread" seeing how the movie directors gave Entei and Suicune their own movies, while Suicune get's to be the mascot of the third version to it's master and Lugia's games, and Entei get's it's master's signature move to use. Poor Raikou get's nothing from Ho-oh...or GF/anime directors...

Anyways I think Entei got the move added to give it something else to take advantage of it's high physical stat. Also giving it Sacred Fire as a move makes sense as it was created by Ho-oh, so it could be head canoned as it was made by the flames of Ho-Oh mixing with the flames that consumed the pokemon it once was.

Last edited:

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • I think instead we should start a "Does the Franchise hate Raikou? Thread" seeing how the movie directors gave Entei and Suicune their own movies, while Suicune get's to be the mascot of the third version to it's master and Lugia's games, and Entei get's it's master's signature move to use. Poor Raikou get's nothing from Ho-oh...or GF/anime directors...

Anyways I think Entei got the move added to give it something else to take advantage of it's high physical stat. Also Sacred move makes sense as it was created by Ho-oh, so it could be head canoned as it was made by the flames of Ho-Oh mixing with the flames that consumed the pokemon it once was.

Well it helps differentiate him from Arcanine and gives him an advantage over Arcanine.

Elite Four Grimsley

flipping the coin of fate
    Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2015
    Regardless of higher up's favourites, I prefer Raikou out of all three despite Suicune's popularity.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Entei seems to have a decent back-story behind itself. Not one, actually; it's got two!

As far as anime goes, I believe it was portrayed as a human being at first, who was transformed into this Pokémon thanks to Unown. Though, since this forum is more related to games, I'll stop there and head over to next. According to this story, if I'm not mistaken, it used to be a Flareon, which was turned into Entei while some power of Ho-oh were transferred onto the Pokémon so that it could be rescued from burning tower.

Myself--I'm pretty fond of its design, personally. If you ask me, it seems to suit Entei pretty well; if it were up to me, I definitely couldn't have done it any better. However, I'm not such a huge fan of its overall stats, as some of them are rather low in comparison to other members of the trio, namely Suicune. Its move-pool doesn't seem to be too extended, either.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • However, I'm not such a huge fan of its overall stats, as some of them are rather low in comparison to other members of the trio, namely Suicune. Its move-pool doesn't seem to be too extended, either.

The stats are the same as the others, only with different distribution.

Back