• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Tiles do You Prefer in a Fangame?

What Tiles do You Prefer in a Fangame?

• HGSS/DPP

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • RSE/FRLG

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Modified HGSS/DPP

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Modified RSE/FRLG

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Completely Custom, but in Pokemon Style

Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    There's been some debate floating around various sites about what the best tiles are. The main contenders are HGSS/DPP vs RSE/FRLG. For the sake of better fangames, I would like some feedback from those of you who are actually interested in playing them. I believe this could be a useful tool for the game developers, in conjunction with the "What about fangames annoys you most?" poll. Also, I would appreciate it if you could give an explanation as to why you make a particular choice.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    There's been some debate floating around various sites about what the best tiles are. The main contenders are HGSS/DPP vs RSE/FRLG. For the sake of better fangames, I would like some feedback from those of you who are actually interested in playing them. I believe this could be a useful tool for the game developers, in conjunction with the "What about fangames annoys you most?" poll. Also, I would appreciate it if you could give an explanation as to why you make a particular choice.
    I strongly disagree with this sentiment. Tilesets do not make the game, and any style can be used effectively.

The choice of tileset is made purely for one reason: preference. And this preference is often shaped by whatever is the newest. That's all. There's no reason a game using the RSE tileset would be inferior to an identical game using the HGSS tileset - it's all a matter of which style you prefer.

We fangame makers are in the position whereby we can choose how our games look. The official games force us to adjust to and accept whatever graphics style they want, and there's no reason to claim that the later games have better tilesets than the earlier ones. It's just what they use - they're not inherently better.

The only reasonable argument one can make regarding tilesets is that the Gen 3 tilesets are theoretically better because they were designed specifically for 2D maps, but even that is barely an issue (all the tilesets look good in their own way). Ultimately, it all comes down to personal preference, which is entirely subjective. And I don't agree that game makers should be practically forced to pander to the opinions of the masses, because it's their game and they should be making it primarily for themselves. Use whatever you want, and don't listen to what others think you should have. Even the first and second Gen tilesets have their charm, and you certainly shouldn't be afraid of using those if you want to.

One can make a similar statement about dual screens (but a much stronger statement, because it's a bigger feature). "It's new therefore it's better and I must have it!" is a terrible way to think. But, again, most people think like this, and we end up with hordes of people wanting to emulate HGSS exactly (including a touch screen that only works on half the screen, which is frankly a moronic idea when there's no difference between the two halves on a PC). But I won't rant about that.

Last edited:

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    @Maruno: I see your point. The intent is to see if there is an overwhelming trend, or if there is a fairly even spread of opinions. Personally, I'm fairly tired of seeing only HGSS/DPP tiles. I figured if the numbers were close, then of course things like what you mentioned are absolutely true. Then again, if practically no one liked RSE/FRLG, I figured it would be best to avoid it. I lean more toward a modified RSE/FRLG myself, since it is easier to work with and can still look great. In making a fangame, I try to find what the fans want, and then try to find common ground with my own preferences when possible. Also, I agree with you on the Dual Screen. In fact, I hate it and have no intention of using it or anything remotely similar, with absolutely no regard to fan's wants (there are some things that you just can't be flexible on).

Last edited:

incognito322

let's look towards the future!
    Years
  • In agreement with Maruno here, I think it's really more like whatever works. I've seen some gorgeous maps made from tiles that were meant to look 2D. On the other hand, I've seen gorgeous maps made with DPPt tiles, though those are often rare, due to the fact that the often messy mapping style of 2D tiles doesn't work well with 3D tiles, where some sort of uniform organization helps improve the map. If someone could pull off using FRLG or RSE tiles I commend them, because they do look neat if they're used right. So it's all down to usage and preference. I only clicked modified 4th Gen tiles because they often require a bit more creativity and dimensional analysis, and few people can pull it off well.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    I appreciate the feedback so far, it's very constructive. I noticed the HGSS/DPP has been receiving several votes. It seems that those who have mapping sense lean toward 2d, except in the case of exceptional 3d creativity, while casual users take 3d on first impressions. Hopefully this thread will clear up the "newer is better" misconception of designers and players alike, so they will see everything as it is without caring about "old" or "new."

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Regardless of which tileset you use, I think you'll have to modify it at least a little bit, if only to include the versions of tiles that you want (e.g. a path corner that turns here). Even these small changes can be a big improvement, if they help to bind the maps together.

Not to mention you can mix and match chunks of tiles. For example, putting a side entrance on the Oak's lab building (which hasn't been done before) is easy, by using those steps/overhang tiles normally used on the guard houses. It's little things like that that I like.

But yes, I think making at least some modifications to your tileset is practically necessary - remember that the tilesets used in the game were made to suit what was needed - it wasn't a case of "here's a tileset, what can we make with it?", it was more of a "here's what we want, let's make a tileset that'll fill it in".

thepsynergist

Vinemon: Sauce Edition Programmer and Composer
    Years
  • The only problem with using the newest tilesets, is that when a new set comes out, everyone uses it. Therefore, it lacks originality. Sure, they look good, but I don't want to have to update my entire game just because a different style is being used by everyone else.

Years
  • I prefer tiles of the graphical nature. Not the ones that you lay down in a kitchen or a bathroom or something. XD

No, but really, Maruno basically summed up my thoughts on the subject. Most tiles can look good if used properly, and to be honest, Emerald had one of my favorite sets of all time. Even though there are some tiles I cringe at the sight of, if used correctly and touched up a bit, they can look beautiful, too. But essentially, it's up to the game designer whether I'm going to like the tiles in there game. If everything flows correctly, has a consistent design, and modifies the tiles to his/her preferences, I will most likely like it.

But to elaborate on the mixing and matching thing, you can mix and match between RSE and FR/LG. All that's needed is a little conversion to put them into the correct perspective and shading.

Back