• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What traditions are you planning to break in S/M?

Years
  • Inspired by this thread.

So, like the other thread once said all that time ago, is there a Pokemon gaming tradition you plan to break in Sun and Moon?

These "traditions" could include stuff like always picking the first (or second) of the paired version, choosing a certain type starter, using a certain type on your in-game team, playing blind, completing the Pokedex etc.
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=299582

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • I've always went with the Fire starter since Crystal, so I'm gonna go with either Popplio or Rowlet. Another thing is the version I'm getting; I've always gotten the games that were "blue" in color(including Black and Black 2 with Zekrom), so I'm gonna go with Sun this time.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
  • I'm thinking of a clean slate, meaning not migrating Pokémon from previous games and I'm probably going to go back to my old ways of running from Wild Pokémon (unless I want them), which I did a lot before Black and White 2 were released, because X and Y were piss easy!

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I'm a guy that likes to experiment with a series like Pokemon, and the only tradition I have is that I use Gyarados at least once every region (gen 5 sucks), and I ain't breaking that. Unless Gyarados isn't in Sun/Moon, but I know Game Freak won't let me down again.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I tend to pick the secondary version (previously third for Gen III and IV). This will be the first non-remake in which I'll pick the first version over the second.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    Never chose a water-type starter in the journey before. I always choose Bulbasaur, Cyndaquil, Treecko, (never played Gen4 games, but I'd choose Turtwig), Snivy, and Fennekin. This time, I'm breaking the grass/fire pattern and choose Popplio because that thing's freaking cute as heck. :3

I also noticed I choose the first game of the pair (Red, Gold, Ruby, (never played Gen4 games), Black, and X (and OR)), and I am currently leaning on picking Moon.

Methinks those are the only traditions I'm breaking. :3

jappo

[b]Thank you for being you![/b]
    Years
  • Never chose a water-type starter in the journey before. I always choose Bulbasaur, Cyndaquil, Treecko, (never played Gen4 games, but I'd choose Turtwig), Snivy, and Fennekin. This time, I'm breaking the grass/fire pattern and choose Popplio because that thing's freaking cute as heck. :3

I also noticed I choose the first game of the pair (Red, Gold, Ruby, (never played Gen4 games), Black, and X (and OR)), and I am currently leaning on picking Moon.

Methinks those are the only traditions I'm breaking. :3

Thats funny, im completely the other way around (Blue,Silver,Saphire, Pearl, White), and will go for Sun this time :)

To answer Op question:
    Buying a Handheld to play this game. Last handheld I bought was a Gameboy advance SP many many years ago. (The rest was emulators)

Last edited:

KillerMapper

Helix Follower
    Years
  • Probably playing without the switch mode enabled (when you defeat a pokémon and the game asks you if you want to switch).

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    None that I can think of...

Unless not using a grass starter since 2nd gen counts.

A part of me wants to buck the trend of always having a water type in my team...but a Hawaii based region is probably a bad place to attempt that. :P

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • I always choose the fire starter, and if i replay the games, the water starter. I might break that tradition and go with the grass starter for a change.

I was thinking of playing as a female, but i dont like the weird hat thing lol. And I have always chosen a guy, and probably would have done that anyways...

Alumens

Dreamer
    Years
  • I think I will just go with the wind this time per say. When I was younger, playing Pokémon Silver, I remember just walk to whatever I wanted without much concern for exploration. Of course I will go along with the story line, but exploration wise, I will leave it to the post game. I remember having this really cool feeling of finding a new items, places and even Pokémon after the Elite Four, due to the lack of exploration. I think I'll try to not be psycho explorer this time and just go with the flow.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I want to try not to plan my team this time. Usually when starting a game I'll get an idea of what Pokemon I'm going to use, but being a new generation I'd rather for my team to come together more naturally!

Back