• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What turns you off from a game?

SpartaLazor

Doofus Lunarius
Years
  • Idk, to me the multiplayer aspect is like the entire point of the games. If I can't trade or battle my friends it feels like I'm putting time and effort into creating a strong team for nothing.

Well, I meant that it's usually too much effort to implement online features into a fan-game. Very, very, very few fan-games ever really have a large enough fan-base to really justify online battling or trading. I don't think many people are wanting to spend the time and effort to include and maintain online features like 10 or 11 people.

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    Unfortunately, resources or not, trying to avoid this structure in your game usually necessitates a lot of scripting, which is really hard. Speaking of things that are really hard, revolutionizing your graphics is also really hard. If someone casually makes a game because he's got a real solid story idea, his game shouldn't be turned down solely because he's used 3rd gen graphics. Since gen 6's amazing graphics, you're gonna have to settle for less in regards to fan games :)

As a devil's advocate, I will say that graphic insertion isn't nearly as hard as it used to be/seems to be and that it can be fairly easy with a bit of practice. :v

FloofyIncineroar

The fluffiest giant kitty.
    Years
  • Poor grammar and spelling
    If you're translating a game from another language into English, you can look online to find help to translate it, I'm pretty sure.

Badly designed Fakemon
    Now, I'm no good at making 'em myself, but that's why you can always work with a team for the design aspect of it.

Completely unoriginal story
    I'm perfectly fine with a game being edgy as long as it doesn't get too annoying (I enjoy Snakewood, actually), but please, PLEASE actually try to be original. You can use the eight gyms format but you can try something new with the story.

Using existing Pokemon cries
    Minor nitpick, but I don't like it when they don't bother making their own Pokemon cry that typically lasts two seconds. I suppose it's excusable when you mod an existing Pokemon game since it seems that you only have that game's code to work with, but with games made in RPG Maker you can create your own code! I suppose it's fine if you're using them as a stand-in cry until you develop one, but if you don't, that's just plain lazy.

immacksg

follow @immacksg on twitter for some rad cartoon a
    Years
  • Using existing Pokemon cries
    Minor nitpick, but I don't like it when they don't bother making their own Pokemon cry that typically lasts two seconds. I suppose it's excusable when you mod an existing Pokemon game since it seems that you only have that game's code to work with, but with games made in RPG Maker you can create your own code! I suppose it's fine if you're using them as a stand-in cry until you develop one, but if you don't, that's just plain lazy.

To be fair, sound design isn't the easiest, especially when making something that's supposed to sound like a Pokemon Battle Cry. It's not as easy as you'd think to make it sound right...

Back