• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What type of player were you when you started?

Lynnx

half listening.
Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2009
    my first was Red...

i had a charizard by MISTY and by the time i got to Koga it was like LV 60.

Yoshiko75

Shadow of the Night
    Years
  • It took me a couple of hours until I figured out how to leave my house, but after that, all I did was train my starter. I caught other Pokémon, but I just never used them.

Silhouette

On my way to Viridian City ♪
    Years
  • I barely remember.. I do remember being an Ash fanatic and trying to be like him, but always ended up evolving them by Celadon. Compared to Ash's Kanto team, I had: Blastoise, Riachu, Butterfree, Dodrio, Magmar, and Vileplume..

I never had all the starters at one point because I never knew how to work the whole trade deal in RBY. Honestly, when they said that the link trade club was reserved for 2 members, I thought they meant Jessie and James from Team Rocket..

bluechu

World's Only Blue Pikachu!
    Years
  • i was about the same kind of trainer i am today when i started. i still mainly focus on attacking moves only and didnt give any of my pokemon status moves or stuff like that. i also pay the most attention to my starter while going through the game. that is the one pokemon i will battle with the most, just so it can be my strongest (i feel it should be that way, since you are with that pokemon from the beginning of the game anyway..) unlike now, i used to raise legendaries in my team as well. in my gold, my party mainly consisted of my Feraligatr (only lv 100 pokemon in my game! ^0^) ho-oh, raikou, suicune...and then some other random pokemon (didnt have too much of a stable team beyond that). into ruby though, i stopped really using legendaries, and focused on making my favorite pokemon (weither they be a walrein or a plusle) the strongest they can be.

thats me as a trainer in a nutshell (a really BIG nutshell! ^0^)

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • Well this is sort of vague, as come on people if you were really young like i was, of course we wanted to catch um all and do all of that listed really, I did, Mainly a level guy I guess, hard to remember so far back in my memory banks

Years
  • I watched the show before the games even came out, so I already had the fair basics. Type advantage, Catching and training, etc. I also knew, because a friend of mine bought his Blue version first, that you'd have to trade to get all of them.
    After I got my brand-old Gameboy brick (lol) I instantly got red, saw that it was RPG based, and came up with a training Regime I (usually) keep today.
    I would choose a starter, train it, along with 2 Pokemon that would evolve twice and have balanced types. For example, If I chose the Fire type Charmander, I would then catch 2 Pokemon right off the bat. Then, When I would find, say, and Oddish (or was it Belsprout?) I would catch it, and exchange it with one of the others. Again, repeating when I came across, say, Poliwag.
    Then, to train the Pokemon, I would fight every trainer, and step on every piece of grass at least once. By the Time I got to the E4, I would have 3 balanced Pokemon with levels about 60-70 each...
    Oh, and I learned real fast what an HM slave was.

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2016
    I started with Blue. By the time I got to misty I had a level 23 Charmeleon, Level 20 Butterfree, Level 20 Pidgeotto, Level 18 or so Beedrill, and the magikarp you could buy. I had a harddddd time beating misty.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    The very first time was on Yellow. I played the whole game up to Fuchsia without knowing how to switch the places of the pokémon in your team xD so my Pikachu was pretty über then. About lv 60.

The second time, I went totally the other way around. I trained every single pokémon I caught, at least until I reached Celadon, when I realized this really wasn't possible.... ^^

Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2009
    i played red the year it came out all i remember was that it was christmas n i was in my grandmas house i played for 12 hours it was my cousins then my sister got the game and i took it away from her n played it all the time all i did was juss followed whatever it said but i use my starter and raichu for all gyms

Spaekle Oddberry

this is why i'm hot
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 31, 2013
    What type of player were you when you started playing pokemon?

A stupid one. xD

I was about seven. I didn't understand the concept of switching PC boxes, and I thought my game was broken and couldn't switch them (?), so after I filled up my first box I kept releasing my Pokemon. I gave my pokemon stupid names (my favorite being 'POWERBUG' the Weedle), I taught random TM's to fill in empty move slots, and I think at one point I started my game over because I couldn't find my way out of Seafoam Island. :|

Years
    • Seen Jan 23, 2009
    I only ever caught things if they were cute and then I stopped them from evolving. I ground my lil' guys up to make up for thier lack of strength. I regretted this when I discovered I could never get wortortle or blastoise as a result of my level 100 squirtle.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    It was so wierd in the beginning. I just got my first pokemon in Pokemon Red, I go to the grass and just try to catch every pokemon I see, then I didn't even train my charmander -_- and I was like a noob trainer with just pokemon but none of them were trained. Thus, the first gym was very difficult for me, with no good pokemon, then I slowly learned to train my pokemon, and after I did learn I only trained my charmander. In the end, I had a level 70 Charizard and nothing else in the pokemon league......xD

~C3LEBI

oprah62

Master Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2009
    haha i used my masterball on a weedle lv. 3 it was my first game, gold version
    and by the e4 i had only a lv 74 typholosion and hm slaves
    i caught like no pokemon

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • When I started on Red, I trained my team evenly. It just happened to be full of legendaries and Pokemon that only knew moves of their own type. (LOL Hydro Pump, Surf, Water Gun, and Bubble on Blastoise.)

Oh yeah, and I did the Rare Candy cheat. A lot.

Years
  • I started with the Red Version. Back when I started playing Pokemon, I never evolved my starter, and typically raised a lot of Pokemon that you caught early on in the game. I did keep the types pretty balanced on my team, though. I didn't really give much of a care to movesets, choosing moves that were powerful and inaccurate over those that were more accurate. A lot of my good Pokemon knew HM moves, because for some reason I thought those moves were good back then. I also remember a time when I raised my Pokemon 50+ levels on Rare Candies. That was only a one-time thing, though.

My playing strategy is much different now. I build my main team quite slowly. I usually only have two or three Pokemon by the third gym, and my sixth Pokemon doesn't get added until very late in the game. In some games I don't even catch a sixth Pokemon. I evolve my starter at its normal evolution levels, and I prefer accurate moves over powerful ones. HMs, with the exception of Surf, are taught to Pokemon I don't plan on using on my main team.

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
  • I just go on catching pokemons, even the lame looking one when the first pokemon series are distributed. Now I'm really serious in choosing pokemons.

diamondpearl876

you can breathe now. x
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 25, 2022
    I don't remember how I played in R/B/Y the first time.

In G/S, though, I remember I could NEVER find the way to get past Morty's stupid gym floor. x.x So, I spent hours and hours getting my Espeon to level 100 with the wild pokemon around that area. And then I finally got the damn guide and I felt stupid.

EmeraldSky

Make the Colors in the Sky!
    Years
  • I tried to tank on my first few times through R/B/Y...which led to some miraculous wins.

Then I started learning the type chart and using my guide to help me out. By Yellow, I was pretty proficient in the type chart.

Back