• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What type of trainer are you?

Splash

But nothing happened.
Years
  • Do you EV train your pokemon? Do you care about IVs? Or do you catch anything and raise them to become strong? As for me I usually get the proper nature fitting for my pokemon before but I started not enjoying pokemon. I also not nicknamed my pokemon before but when I started nicknaming my pokemon and also not being tedious with the whole EV, IV and Nature thing I started enjoying pokemon again. So what type of trainer are you?

cscof

pretty coolish guy
    Years
  • I pick pokemon that seem cool, and can never ev or iv train, and my team is usually made up of sweepers, with the occasional mixed wall thrown in

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    I'm one that picks Pokémon that appeal to me appearance wise and battle capabilities wise. I only EV train once I find a strategy and core to work with, although most of the Pokémon that I use are either hit and runners or walls.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    For me, it all depends. If my Pokémon are for in-game only, then no, I probably wouldn't put much thought, time, nor effort into breeding or EV-training. NPCs are, well, NPCs, and they don't usually use much Pokémon that are considered to be best competitively. To get through them, you might be able to use almost anything. In times like this, I always rely on my favorites, and let rest go ignored.

If I'm building a team for competitive battling and whatnot, yes, I will EV-train, all depending on how my moveset is going to be. As for breeding, I'm personally not too much of an expert on it, sadly, so I request others to do it for me if they're able. Thus for, not much people had actually declined, thankfully!

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    For my in-game playthroughs I pick cutie pies. Post-game, I'm really into breeding (whether it's competitively, for a shiny, or just for fun) and EV training my Pokémon. I also like to complete the PokéDex if I can.

Years
  • I don't really have to focus on EV training in the main storyline of a game (except in Nuzlockes and Wedlockes at the end-game if I have new Pokémon), but after that's over with and I have battle facilities to attend to, then I can properly train new things for that. I tend to use Pokémon I really like, sometimes even if they're overpowered i'll still go for them.

My styles of playing really are different, especially in challenges where my teams are never the same.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    When I play through the main story, I pick the pokemon I like the best based on appearance and stats. Then after I complete the story, I go crazy IV breeding and EV training with full movesets to create the most balanced team possible. :3

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • I pick my favourite Pokemon and ones that catch my eye for in game teams. Only have to level them appropriately for the next gym so I don't do anything else.

Post game I try and breed perfect IV Pokemon for that one day I may battle competitively

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
  • I try my best to EV train my team which consists of Pokemon with good natures that I deem to be strong, though I'm not very serious in the process. I've produced Pokemon via EV training that I am proud of though. Breeding perfect IV Pokemon is beyond my understanding so I have nothing to say to that, though I would like to learn how.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I usually pick Pokemon that I think are cool, and sometimes I'm picky about natures but a lot of the time I'm not. Sometimes I like to change it up a bit and use Pokemon that I don't really like statwise or designwise, like Victreebel. I rarely EV train my Pokemon nowadays or breed for specific natures and most of the time I just roll with what I have.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2014
    Just like many others during the in-game storyline i don't have to worry about my pokemon's IV's or EV's, i just use pokemon that look cool. As for post game i want to learn how to breed perfect pokemon and how to EV train correctly so I can use them when I finally decide to play competitively .

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2016
    Well I personally don't care about Iv, Ev etc.
    When I like a pokemon really much I put it on my team.
    I raise them before each gym battle to the same level.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • I do care about EVs, but only after beating the champion. I don't really care about what I use, I'm fine even with Pokemon such as Garbodor or some legendaries (as long as they aren't ubers).

Dark Phantom Samurai

Finesse & Perfection
    Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2014
    Pokemon that I believe should be on the elites. Every single Pokemon that makes it on to my team is given a unique name. None of the names actually relate to what they are, one example would be the teams Chandelure: Sarenacrone (Sa-renn-a-crone)

Every member (Pokemon) Is patiently breed until a candidate with 5IVs In the right stats finally shows. Then Should the Pokemon already wield a name (nickname) of its own. The name is transfered to the perfect 5IV newly hatched version of itself. While its original body is renamed "Preserve"

Afterwards the Pokemon is lovingly (Not forced) to gradually bond with me (I know its just a game, but why not pretend its real just for that experience?) Usually Each time the Pokemon should grow bored after being trained they are most joyfully played with in Pokemon-Amie to renew they're sprit (Yeah i sound pretty screwed up, yes?) However should the Pokemon prove that they're not liking the journey they will be peacefully released and a new replacement for them will be bred.

Every Member is taken throughout the entire region levelling up to simulate the beginning of a journey always starting at Vaniville town and finishing at the Pokemon League.

Ev Training is done at the start of the Pokemon's journey.

Pokemon Transfered via Pokemon Bank or through Trading will be bred again just to make it have the corresponding trainer ID. Is it worth re-training a Pokemon that is already lev.100 and has 5-IVs? It most certainly is.

Pokemon that were there from the start (beat the game with me) receive some special treatments :) exclusive, to them.

Years
  • I usually go for my favorite pokemon and base the EVs and moves somewhat off some sets on Smogon. I don't totally go up the butt and make all my pokemon Smogon standard or not use certain pokemon because their banned on Showdown. In fact, I only play the official game and use showdown to get trades done.

Years
  • I don't EV train or IV breed until post-game. Generally I go through the story with Pokemon I catch along the way and don't pay much attention to stats outside the nature; once that's done and over with I spend time breeding for IVs, natures, and EV training. Gives me a lot more to do post-game and I'm a pretty big perfectionist so I love making the "perfect Pokemon" to use on my team.

Of course, story 'mons are boxed once I actually defeat the story, paha. I catch almost everything I can find that I don't own yet and frequently stay behind in areas until I capture whatever's available there. Of course that.. gets tedious sometimes so later in the game I just keep moving forward.

Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2014
    I just basically use whatever I like. My main team is all Eeveelutions, for crying out loud.

As for EVs and IVs, I do Super Training in Y, but I have no idea how IVs work and I don't know where to ask.

Back