• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Type would you associate Sleep with?

Years
    Burn - Fire
    Freeze - Ice
    Paralyze - Electric
    Poison - Poison
    Sleep - ???

Several Types coul fit in for sleep; it can be induced by multiple Moves, Abilities, and Pokemon. But if you had to give it a Type... what would you choose?

Personally, I'd say Normal. There's Relic Song, which only Meloetta can learn, that has a 10% chance of putting the enemy to Sleep (as well as good damage and it changes Meloetta's form). Lovely Kiss and Sing are both Sleep-inducing as well as normal Type, as is Yawns, but only on the 2nd turn; however, Ywan has 100% accuracy. And then there's Secret Power, which can put you to Sleep in certain situations. More Normal moves can put you to Sleep than any other type, so that's where my vote goes.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I'd associate Psychic with sleep because sleep often has to do with the mind. Grass can also be associated with sleep because 2 moves of that type can inflict sleep (Grasswhistle, Sleep Powder).

But yeah, I can see why Normal would be associated with Sleep as well.

PokeLordAndrew

Emulation Noob
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2013
    Psychic or Poison I would say.
    Poison because I remember Koga saying stuff about how many Poison types cause sleep as well as poison, because they're ninja pokemon.
    And Psychic because of Hypnosis and whatnot

arbok

cobra pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    psychic, ghost or grass for me. When I think of sleep inducing moves sleep powder is the first thing in my mind but when I think of sleep specializing pokemon then I think of Drowze or Haunter.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    Psychic, Normal, and Grass. As though typing are perdominate in sleep based moves. I'm so used to getting hit with Hypnosis by Psychic than Sleep Powder by grass types. Than when I run into Normals like Jigglypuff I am used to Sing being employed.

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
    Years
    Psychic all the way.

Normal is the default type.

How about confusion though... Ghost?

Zayphora

Don't mess with the lights...
    Years
    Psychic or Ghost, or maybe Dark.
    Psychic- hypnosis, dreams
    Ghost- dreams, nightmares, nighttime(when you sleep)
    Dark- nightmares, nighttime, Darkrai

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2013
    I think the ones mentioned are good ideas. Grass has a decent number of moves which can lead to Sleep, while the status can also be considered as 'resting one's mind', which would relate it to Psychic.

But I think that Normal fits the most by a slight margin, not only because it has the greatest number of moves which cause Sleep, but also because sleep can be considered as 'normal' in how it is at least common among complex organisms. Or I'm just thinking about it too much.

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2014
    Sleep would be associated with Grass or Psychic.
    Confusion with Psychic.

So if Psychic is already tied with Confusion, Sleep is Grass. But Psychic fits well too.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I'd say sleep would be associated with grass while confusing would be associated with grass. Attacks like spore and sleep powder are grass while confusion is a psychic type move.

Years
    I'm going with normal because sleep is a normal process for all living things. Well, I suppose you got hibernation which works differently but you get the idea.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
    Normal because of FREAKIN' SNORLAX AND JIGGLYPUFF!!!

I am ashamed people, deeply ashamed. For you guys. Only one of you said Jigglypuff and NOT ONE OF YOU PUT SNORLAX!!! I just, I just, seriously, what is wrong- ...... I just don't understand.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I'm going with normal because sleep is a normal process for all living things. Well, I suppose you got hibernation which works differently but you get the idea.
    Took the words right out of my mouth. Yeah, I'd expect all Pokemon to sleep, and that's a normal thing to do. (Well, except for Pokemon with Insomnia.)

Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2017
    I'd associate Psychic with sleep because sleep often has to do with the mind. Grass can also be associated with sleep because 2 moves of that type can inflict sleep (Grasswhistle, Sleep Powder).

But yeah, I can see why Normal would be associated with Sleep as well.

Don't forget Spore although it's technically exclusive to Paras and Parasect.

Years
    Normal because of FREAKIN' SNORLAX AND JIGGLYPUFF!!!

I am ashamed people, deeply ashamed. For you guys. Only one of you said Jigglypuff and NOT ONE OF YOU PUT SNORLAX!!! I just, I just, seriously, what is wrong- ...... I just don't understand.
    FINALLY! I WAS WAITING FOR SOMEBODY TO MENTION SNORLAX!!!
    I want to say so myself, but wanted to see who would 1st :) That thing is the Sleep king! As well as being able t ofight in it. Thank you for mentioning it!

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2012
    As most have said, I'm going with Normal, Psychic or Grass. Although for some reason I can't explain, I want to say ground type...

Zayphora

Don't mess with the lights...
    Years
    FINALLY! I WAS WAITING FOR SOMEBODY TO MENTION SNORLAX!!!
    I want to say so myself, but wanted to see who would 1st :) That thing is the Sleep king! As well as being able t ofight in it. Thank you for mentioning it!

Just remembered- Slaking line is a sleep thing too. Or at least a nap thing. I guess it is normal then...Confusion would be Psychic.

Years
    Normal for me. I know Rest is Psychic and a lot of the sleep inducing moves are too, like Hypnosis...

...but I feel like the state of being asleep is Normal... like it's an everyday thing, which makes it normal lol :)

Back