• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen What version should I buy?

What version

• Alpha Sapphire

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Omega Ruby

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
    Years
    I'm stuck between what version to buy. I know each has their perks and I'm looking for a more competitive playstyle as-well as completing the National Dex. Please state a version and maybe a couple of reasons. <3

Kind regards,
    Arno

Alumens

Dreamer
    Years
    I think both games can be played equally regarding the competitive playstyle, however note that both of them have their own exclusive Pokémon. I'm not sure if I am allowed to post link but you should google Pokémon ORAS Version Exclusives to see the list of Pokémon exclusive to both version and maybe you can have an easier decision.

I personally choose Alpha Sapphire because I like Kyogre the most

Years
    I agree with Solomon, you should likely choose the version that has the exclusive Pokemon you want more. I've got a link here of all the version-exclusive Pokemon to help you in which version to decide: https://www.serebii.net/omegarubyalphasapphire/exclusives.shtml

I basically choose the version that has the exclusives I like as my main version (in this case it was Alpha Sapphire). Good luck with your game and I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever version you decide on!

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2016
    my self got both.
    "completing the National Dex." that will need more then one game, or one hell of a lot of trading on GTS and with friends.

when Ruby and Sapphire 1st came out, the main game of the 2 i played the most was Ruby, this time with OR and AS i playing AS as the main game and OR as the side game.
    i normal have 1 game from each Gen to play as the main,
    for G3 as i said that was Ruby,
    for G4 that was Pearl
    G5 is White,
    and as i have yet any real play time in to X or Y, it look like my G6 main game may be AS. for now any how.

o and any one interested G2 main game for me was Gold. and G1 was Red, (never owned Blue, that is the only one i have not owned.)

if you can only get one game toss a coin, as that the best way to pick, one game is not better then the other.

Years
    Well, as some people here have said, it really depends on which version exclusives you prefer. Mine was Omega Ruby as I always like Groudon over Kyogre, and the other exclusives, but it's up to personal preference.

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2015
    when I bought this game the wallmart guy told me that sapphire was the most popular.

TheUnit684

Heedrim
    Years
    I woooould vote Alpha Sapphire, since Sapphire has always been the version I prefer and Alpha Sapphire is what I have. However, I haven't played Omega Ruby, and I would very much like to. Maxie seems like an awesome dude, and all of Team Magma I find more interesting. Also, Omega Ruby has Seedot and therefore Nuzleaf available, sooo there's that.

I would suggest looking up the version exclusives and seeing which you'd rather have. :P For the reasons stated above, I didn't vote in the poll, but I still wanted to give you my input. :)

Years
    I've bought Omega Ruby because Primal Groudon's typing is unique in my opinion. The Water type is the most common type in Pokemon and I really don't see the point in having another one, though I do not dislike Kyogre. It doesn't matter to me either way, I have both Groudon and Kyogre already. Just check the list of exclusive Pokemon for each version and see which Pokemon you'd prefer the most, that is the only difference between the two, the exclusive Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2015
    Its all up to personal preference. The games are practically identical beside the exclusive Pokemon and the enemy team. In my opinion, Team Aqua is so freaking cool and so is Kyogre.

ElectricN

*006119011483‬
    Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2019
    up to you. i prefer omega ruby, as i played ruby when i had the gen 3 games. i like the concept of team magma more here, and prefer groudon to kyogre

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    I prefer Groudon to Kyogre since his ability weakens his vulnerability to water, or, in the case of Desolate Land, negates it completely

His defense lets you tank physical moves pretty well too

Also:

Setting the sky on fire > torrential downpour, plus the rain drowns out the awesome music whereas OR's theme is loud and clear, and it sent shivers down my spine

I also prefer Ho-Oh and Reshiram to Lugia and Zekrom

...guess which copy the store was out of when I went to purchase it...

My bad luck is legendary

In all my years of playing Pokémon, I have NEVER encountered a Shiny, and I started with Gold and Silver
    The Red Gyarados doesn't count

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2022
    As said before the games are 98% identical. I got both (kept OR as main bought AS for replay value because it was probably my favourite game ever growing up and in the future I may want to play it again without restarting the game) and I think Team Aqua is cooler than Team Magma (little details like this really is the difference between the two games). If you prefer some of the pokemon that are version exclusive (e.g. Groudon vs. Kyogre, Latios vs. Latias) than pick based off that otherwise it makes no difference.

Competitively it really is just the difference between version exclusive legends, completing the national dex (although massively time consuming) isn't any easier depending on which version.

Years
    Indeed... I saw so many more people who were playing Alpha Sapphire over Omega Ruby... Last year it was Y over X for the majority. For Generation V people liked Zekrom (so White, along with Black 2 seemed to be the major keepers on that end). What do people really gravitate to?

Zenoah

Hop along to the cowboy beat.
    Years
    Myself, I went with Omega Ruby. Only because when the originals came out I got Sapphire. It's really up to you. Both play the same. just slightly different pokes.

Years
    Its obvious which version you should get. Neither of these. Theres so many hints that theres gonna be a 3rd version in the game, its just gotta happen. So hold out a year or so and get the best version of the game containing both Kyogre and Groudon and both evil teams and Battle Frontier and even more new stuff.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    Its obvious which version you should get. Neither of these. Theres so many hints that theres gonna be a 3rd version in the game, its just gotta happen. So hold out a year or so and get the best version of the game containing both Kyogre and Groudon and both evil teams and Battle Frontier and even more new stuff.

For the past two generations, Pokémon has mostly released paired versions

Platinum was the only single version there, while we had four paired games around it

DP, HGSS, BW, BW2

I think they're going to expand on Kalos with a single version

Maybe they'll include Emerald's Battle Frontier then, seems a darn shame to only include thrm in one Generation

It'll be nice to see Wallace, er...I mean Tucker again; maybe they'll rework him so he's Wallace's brother or something, they both certainly dress alike

Crady

It ain't even bright in here
    Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2016
    I chose AS because... Well... Blue's my favourite colour I guess lol

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
    Honestly, I don't think version really matters if you're planning on trading between other people anyway (I'm assuming you're going to do this, because you want to complete the National Dex, correct?). I ended up purchasing Omega Ruby because I had started with the original Sapphire (I do a switcharoo from what I originated from; I did the same thing with the original Silver and HeartGold, as well as the orignal Red and LeafGreen).

I can tell you though, that is Alpha Sapphire is the more popular one out of the two, than you might have better luck getting Omega Ruby. If everyone else around you has the version exclusives of Alpha Sapphire, than surely they would be easy to get, rather than having to hunt down people who play Omega Ruby and trying to trade Pokemon that they may already have received from other players.

Back