• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen What was the first time you heard of G/S/C?

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 28, 2014
    I found out about it by getting it for christmas!! I had yellow that I borrowed for a friend, and my grandma got me a gameboy color and gold! She got my sister silver. Then I got a gameboy advance sp and crystal.

Last edited:
    Years
  • You know, I don't remember exactly where/when I heard of them. I bet I saw them on a commerical, tho. 'Gimme a break, that was like.....what.... 10 years ago now?

However, I clearly remember buying them at Walmart when it was brand new. I remember looking at them through the glass; it's still a very clear visual memory. The box art was so extremely cool, mostly because the silver/gold parts were shiny (ooooohhh, shiny! lol). I also remember thinking "Hey, the bird on Gold version is the pokemon Ash saw flying towards the rainbow! It's real!" My mother bought both of them for me because, by then, she understood the basic concept of needing both games.

*sigh* Anyway, nostalgia.

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • Well , I was 7 ( 2002 , 1st Grade :) ) when a guy brought a Purple GBC with Pokemon Crystal . And lulz , the game just rocked , the whole clasroom gathered around him ^_^ we were all so nostalgic... and 2 years later , I got Sapphire .

-Sigh- . That guy left school , and I did too , and I doubt I'll see him again....

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • Pokemon Gold was the first Pokemon game that I had ever played... And it was amazing. My mom drove a small business trip somewhere and took me with her, and I went to a store and bought Pokemon Gold... And I was in love with that game. For... Pretty much the rest of my life, I carried G/S/C around with me because they were the most amazing GB games I had ever played. I loved them like they were my own children, lol! I fell in love for the first time!

TheNameLess

Unknown Trainer
    Years
  • Pokemon was a hype and it coming in a few weeks was spread through school really fast. My sister owned silver, but as she thought I might delete her savings I had only looked now and then. That made me very excited, and when I heard there was a version of gold and silver combined I asked it for a birthday (my aunt hadn't give me a present yet)

I waited on a Wednesday 'till 9 pm (back then late for me, it was only later when a soccer match was on) my aunt came in an said it was sold out everywhere...

she then reserved one, but they only got it a week later, so I waited sooooo long for it.

Piplup-Trainer

This is my custom user title.
    Years
  • Oh...I also remember that I wanted a magazine from my mom.
    She worked until 7:30 or 8 PM, and I've told her to buy it (I'm not sure but I guess that a picture of Chikorita, Cyndaquil and Totodile was in the magazine). But the shop had opened until 7 PM and my mother came without the magazine.
    She was angry that I've said that she should go outside at this time just to buy that magazine.
    Someday she bought it and gave it to me...and I was very happy =)
    Unbelievable, that was nine years ago!

BTW, I also remember when I've got Gold and my sister got Silver. It was in April 2001 (We've got those games as an easter present). But yeah, that's another long story and I'm sure that you're tired from the story that I've told before.

Last edited:

Halfwit

Super Monk
    Years
  • I read the article on a "new pokémon games!" in.. er.. pokémon world magazine, I think. Interesting that the franchise, even after just one generation of games, was big enough to have its own magazine oO
    I think it was just after it had been released in Japan.. or just before. One or the other. Either way, there were double-page spreads showing screenshots, art for professor Elm, I remember.. the new pokémon were listed, which was very exciting.
    I think I was excited by.. it wasn't a new game in the sense that Yellow was a new game.. it was MORE, and had new backsprites and new pokémon, a new professor, a new place entirely..
    I saw the Gold title screen with Ho-oh, and was amazed by how colourful it was O:
    well, compared to RBY, anyway.

Oh, and there was a list of all the new pokémon, with their in-game sprite and japanese name.. and I had no idea what any of them were [no idea that espeon and umbreon were eeveelutions, for example] but I still looked at them for ages and tried to learn all of the japanese names D:
    We also had a TCG guide, with the new 100 pokémon listed [japanese names]. And they were all freelance and slightly deformed drawings rather than the official artwork [not an official guide then lolol].

On the day it was released in the UK, I'd nagged my mum so much that she took me to toys r us and bought me Silver, and Gold for my younger sister because there was an offer on, and she wouldn't be happy with me getting something and her not :v
    which meant that I eventually got her copy of Gold, too.
    No idea where those games are now, though.. which is a real shame.

Piplup-Trainer

This is my custom user title.
    Years
  • I read the article on a "new pokémon games!" in.. er.. pokémon world magazine, I think. Interesting that the franchise, even after just one generation of games, was big enough to have its own magazine oO
    I think it was just after it had been released in Japan.. or just before. One or the other. Either way, there were double-page spreads showing screenshots, art for professor Elm, I remember.. the new pokémon were listed, which was very exciting.
    I think I was excited by.. it wasn't a new game in the sense that Yellow was a new game.. it was MORE, and had new backsprites and new pokémon, a new professor, a new place entirely..
    I saw the Gold title screen with Ho-oh, and was amazed by how colourful it was O:
    well, compared to RBY, anyway.

Oh, and there was a list of all the new pokémon, with their in-game sprite and japanese name.. and I had no idea what any of them were [no idea that espeon and umbreon were eeveelutions, for example] but I still looked at them for ages and tried to learn all of the japanese names D:
    We also had a TCG guide, with the new 100 pokémon listed [japanese names]. And they were all freelance and slightly deformed drawings rather than the official artwork [not an official guide then lolol].

On the day it was released in the UK, I'd nagged my mum so much that she took me to toys r us and bought me Silver, and Gold for my younger sister because there was an offer on, and she wouldn't be happy with me getting something and her not :v
    which meant that I eventually got her copy of Gold, too.
    No idea where those games are now, though.. which is a real shame.

That`s cool that you can remember this experience that well :)

Halfwit

Super Monk
    Years
  • That`s cool that you can remember this experience that well :)

Oh, ta xD; now that I read though it.. it is a bit.. detailed.
    still, it's a shame that I yet can't remember things such as where I left my keys, or indeed where those games are now :c

I do remember being particularly thrilled by the non-blocky backsprites, though.

rndm.

Mostly inactive D:
    Years
  • I was about six when I found out that there are pokemon games. I put every first and second gen game to my christmas wishlist. (Yeah, stupid. =P) My mom got me Red, because red was my favourite color. I was happy with it and didn't know Gold, Silver and Crystal were newer games. Due to this, the next pokemon game I got was FireRed. After playing it a while I came to know more about pokemon...

Years
  • I remember it was the beginning of the schoolyear and I had gotten this magazine.. It had all of the new Pokémon (badly drawn, I might add; presumably based on the in-game sprites) and a story that followed the game as if the writer was actually the person in the game. It was written like a journal.. I remember there was a big walkthrough of the game (which I read over and over; I was so excited).

For some reason, they only had drawn the H form of Unown (known as 'Annon') and my friends and I joked that they had made a TIE Fighter Pokémon.

The day I got it, I remember, because mom let me ditch school. That was on a Friday, and I remember staying up all night playing; from about 11am Friday to the premiere of Johto Journey the next day on Kids' WB. Since I had read the walkthrough so many times, I knew what to do in the game (but it was all still a surprise.. they said what to do but not why). My GBC at the time had this battery pack that was shaped like a Playstation controller, and I had this big thing that swung out these two speakers and lit up the screen.. Both things plugged into the wall, so I didn't have to worry about it dying during gameplay.

I seriously played that damned game for about 24 hours straight!!

...man, those were the days. SoulSilver needs to hurry up and get released here in the US.

yaminokaitou

りゅうのマスター
    Years
  • I subscribed to Nintendo Power and got it with their special renewal bonus for Christmas. It came with 12 issues of NP, the game, the guide, and some pins. I had already played red and yellow by that time, so I was a vet.

.Missingno

Viridian City Gym Leader
    Years
  • I Went over to my friends house and around the time i got there his mom walked in with a bag in her hand and gave it to him i was curious so i watched and it was Pokemon Gold, It Was The Coolest thing i had ever seen(then) because i thought it had just came out(come to find out it did) keep in mind i was still playing Red around this time.

Back