• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Film What was the last movie you watched?

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen today
    Watched The Matrix and Terminator for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Somehow I've gone 20+ plus years without watching either, wild.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    So, so many over the Christmas break!

- Sense8 finale
    - Inside Man - a deceptively foundational film experience for me. I was probably too young, but it came on the tv at a friends' house when I was a kid (must have been late on as I was just as confused as Denzel and Chiwetel's detectives) and the imagery just stuck with me so clearly that despite never knowing its name, the next time I stumbled upon it I knew I had to watch it…which probably wasn't for about 10 years! Probably view it annually now and its still brilliant.
    - Glass Onion - not as good as the first, so like an 8/10? Great watch, although I don't think an older audience will appreciate it as much as I had to explain a few references to my mum whereas with Knives Out this wasn't such an issue (and the cast was more recognisable to her).
    - cheating a little because it was November but before that (on that Netflix, like the above 3) it was In Bruges - a fairytale ******** place - and Red Eye (an unheralded but great Wes Craven film starring Cillian Murphy and Rachel McAdams!)
    - Shiva Baby - definitely the most indie thing I've watched in a while, but deserves its acclaim. Surprisingly funny.
    - Avatar: The Way of the Water (in 3D of course) - [URL="https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=10588887#post10588887"]my brief thoughts here[/URL]
    - Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. Skipped my annual viewing of Some Like It Hot, but first time seeing this. Pretty good!
    - The Magnificent Seven. Still great no matter how many times, despite the fact that the Mexican bandit leader is a New York Jew and the Mexican one of the Seven is German!
    - The Great Escape. Not by choice, but in the UK this and the above are pretty much guaranteed at this time of the year. Most bank holidays actually (plus Escape to Athena - which has Ross Geller's dad in a surprisingly awesome bike chase but otherwise is more of a curiosity due to the casting…and plot…and title - and The Eagle Has Landed, and Kelly's Heroes on itv4)
    - My Fair Lady. Went simultaneously down and up in my estimation. Down as it was longer than I recalled, but up as Eliza has far more agency in the reuniting than I remember. Film nerd in me found it amusing this was on at the same time as Mary Poppins, which wouldn't exist had Julie Andrews been allowed to keep the part of Eliza. Oh, and her understudy was in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang which was probably on British TV the same day too!

For my final watch of 2022, which turned into my first of 2023 due to its length I dug out my DVD of Interstellar!
    I've often found myself frustrated by the sound mixing when streaming - its like they just stuck the theatrical mix on, so if you turn up the volume loud enough to hear the dialogue then when anything louder than that happens, if I'm watching with my parents in the room they'll loudly complain that its loud (thus drowning out the film) then watch for the volume appearing on the screen like hawks. I was alone for Interstellar, but given its mixing was so notorious that cinemas put up posters stating that their equipment worked correctly (not in the one I saw it in in London, which seemed perfect for such an event as it was clearly a former theatre with elaborate ceilings), I was surprisingly able to understand every line of dialogue yet still appreciate the score in suitable bombast! It helps that we have a very large TV (50+in)
    Also the film itself is still awesome - visually stunning, the oft-memed scene when Coop sees all the video messages still gets me, and I agree with Hans Zimmer that this was his best score.

Years
  • On new year's eve I watched Shop Around the Corner, while looking for some winter theme movies I hadn't seen before. I'm glad I viewed it. What a sweet, romantic Christmas classic. I thought Frank Morgan did a wonderful job playing the role of the store owner, everyone was so good in fact.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    A polar opposite to the above, today I watched Deerskin ("Le Daim", its in French). A short black comedy (77 minutes) starring Jean Dujardin that I initially saw as my cinema's Sunday niche film offering in 2021. I would recommend it, there's not necessarily much laugh-out-loud comedy, but you won't be bored. (Well, its not fast-paced so if your preference is more 2010 Adam Sandler, maybe skip it).

Forms a strange companion piece to his Call My Agent!("Dix Pour Cent") episode, in both cases he plays a man obsessed with a jacket!

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • Been on a mystery movie kick!

Enola Holmes 2 (2022) - 8/10, don't know if I'd watch again but I would most likely. I liked the first one better in terms of pacing, but this one was much more fun once it picked up. I like how it was inspired by actual historical events - namely, the Matchgirls Strike of 1888. Henry Cavill as a more deadpan Sherlock was absolutely hilarious, Enola and Tewkesbury were really cute both individually and together, and we finally get a glimpse of two very important characters who should have been there yesterday! (Did not like the particular portrayal of the most frequently seen one, though. A more charming actress should have been cast considering the previous actors who played the role.)

Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (2022) - 6/10, have to watch again to catch what I missed the first time, but I'm really mixed on it. Maybe it was the point, but I expected a more action-oriented mystery, a few more characters to root for, and a more subtly hidden killer. Ultimately, it plays more like a revenge flick with a detective as a secondary character than a mystery movie. The comedy was hit or miss, but it was more likely to be a hit if it came from either of the leads. Lastly, the biggest takeaway from this movie, at least for me, can be summed up as "haha Hugh Grant."

DrWho42

ka kaw
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    mr. freedom (1968). stumbled across it through an old issue of psychotronic video from 2004.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • Empire of Light (2022)

6/10, would not watch again. It was an okay film that dealt with some important issues like mental illness and racial violence in a decent way, but it was also supposed to be about the magic of cinema and that kind of got lost along the way. Plus... the music also made it feel like a constant buzzing in the background rather than a melody.

Also, is it just me or is the relationship between Hilary and Stephen sorta... groomy? One critic did point out that it would have been called that "if the genders had been reversed." If the genders had been reversed nothing; men can be and have been groomed, and I feel we don't talk about this enough. Some of her lines and the actor's reactions to them (e.g. the beach scene) felt personally uncomfortable to watch, and I was appalled that it was still treated as a romantic affair rather than an exploitative relationship. I don't think it was the age difference, but rather her attitude towards him that made it so unsettling. I would have let it slip by if it had been an intentional commentary on how some victims become perpetrators themselves, with what Hilary being abused by her father/husband and exploited by her boss, but it went under the radar because there were so many other themes at play. What a shame.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Creed and Creed II before I watch the sequel tomorrow.

First one is still as truly brilliant as I remember it - if Top Gun: Maverick can get a Best Picture nom I don't see why this couldn't have done back then. Probably the first time the training montage didn't bring a tear to my eye (most likely because my parents were in the room, their silent judgement making it awkward as I could feel their distaste for movies). But still, a truly excellent film. Love the little touches like him taking his gloves off in the back of the shot in the opening fight because he knows as soon as the punch connects that he's won.

I actually think the lack of politics in Creed II, something I would have criticised it for at release, makes it more effective as time capsule to when the West was collectively just ignoring that Russia had invaded Ukraine, formally annexed part of its territory and also shot down civilian airliners, letting them host the Olympics and World Cup. I chafed at the idea that Adonis needed to be more like Rocky at the first couple of watches, given Rocky's whole thing - excellently parodied in The Simpsons - is taking a beating rather than being necessarily good at fighting. But this time I noticed the line about him being smaller than Apollo, which kinda made me more accepting that he needs to take a hybrid approach from the two legends. Also, laughed at the weigh in scene as these guys clearly are NOT in the same weight class. Works surprisingly well as a send-off for the Rocky character, to the point I've only just been made aware there was any friction behind Sly not being in Creed III as I'd assumed that was always the plan (apparently his plan was for the opponent to be Clubber Lang's son, which is really dumb so good they didn't do that!).

The plan worked, I'm very psyched for the new one tomorrow!

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Polite Society (2023)

RT's blurb does a pretty good job here "A merry mash-up of sisterly affection, parental disappointment and bold action, POLITE SOCIETY follows martial artist-in-training Ria Khan who believes she must save her older sister Lena from her impending marriage. After enlisting the help of her friends, Ria attempts to pull off the most ambitious of all wedding heists in the name of independence and sisterhood."

An original action comedy, in cinemas, in 2023! See it, it might be the last one and its also a great! Mostly unknowns in the cast, although Lena is played by Lila from Umbrella Academy and the villain is the same woman as in Captain Marvel, but better here.

Also my home town gets named at one point, which was awesome!

DrWho42

ka kaw
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    smoking causes coughing (2022) directed by quentin dupieux

Years
  • For the last couple of nights i have been watching martial arts flicks starring Donnie Yen- Dragon, Iron Money and Ip Man 1, 2 and 3. I Really liked all of it, the 3rd Ip Man not quite as much as the 1st and 2nd, but still
    pretty good. I am mulling over whether to watch Ip Man 4 or not. One part of me wants to give the series continuity and closure, but another part thinks it might be too sad since it's the last one that Donnie made.

Years
  • the super mario bros movie

i hate to be that guy, but it wasn't very good lol. the animation and references are fantastic, and it's a fun movie for children. but it could've been a bit better too

Days
    • Seen Oct 20, 2023
    Megan - What an amazing movie this was it was funny and scary while being emotional.

Years
  • Legend of the Demon Cat. It is an interesting specimen of mystery and the occult set during the Tang dynasty. I have always liked Chen Kaige as a director, he has eye for beauty, and this 2017 effort is no exception. Visually the film is just breathtaking to look at.

Despite the horror in the first part of the film, it goes in a different direction than you might expect. I won't give away the events from history and legend that feature here though, i will just say that it is poignant. Would recommend.

Back