• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What was your experience like seeing Pokemon the first movie?

Years
  • I absolutely loved it! I was 13 and saw it 3 times in theaters and had a blast! Getting the special Mew card was, of course, awesome. I was super stoked for it, one of the few movies I remember actively anticipating and wanting to go back to see again and again.

Even now I still really enjoy watching it.

PikachuGuy

THOSE CHU'Z
    Years
  • In my opinion, that was the best Poke-Movie there is. I never saw it in theaters, let alone any Pokemon movie, it was still awesome when I watched it on DVD. Still though, I wish they would start coming out in theaters again, still haven't done that since the release of Heros.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I recently found out that the Mew card was given out at the second movie, not first. I could've sworn that it was the first, but the internet tells me that a different set of cards was given out then, and Mew cards were for Pokemon 2000 with Lugia.

As for that movie, it's the only Pokemon movie that I have any desire to watch. I still cry watching it :c

Arumus

Insert user title here..
    Years
  • Can't remember watching it at the cinema, I remember getting the Mew card though, had about five in the end. So I guess I saw it five times.

Roughsponge

What's occurin?
    Years
  • I remember being around 6 or 7 when it came out in the cinema and going to see it with my mum and brother (yes, my mum was bored out her tits) and I thought it was amazing! It still to this day is the best Pokemon movie IMO :)

I don't remember getting a Mew card though but that might be an American thing anyway :P

Years
  • Being a tad older, it was a different experience for me, as my friends and me were getting into the fantasy and the mythos. I went with my friend, and we certainly had our fun/shock with the revelation of Giovanni behind the creation of Mewtwo and, okay, Mewtwo killing all the scientists. We were comic book geeks, so the continuity mattered more to us.

For irony, we watched it in a double header with Dogma. From one end of the spectrum to the other. Heh. (At the time, I liked Dogma more. Now, it's the reverse, especially when I found out about the original Japanese version and the gorgeous art book Viz released in 99.)

As for the cards, they were out when we got to view, the following Friday. Oh, well. I eventually got them all, but had the most use with Mewtwo and Pikachu. (Although, I ended up liking the Electabuzz more than I did, at the time.)

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • When I saw it I was like "OMG Mewtwo is a god among pokemon, nothing can touch him outside of Mew" even before I saw the movie it was super hyped through commercials and BK toys so I knew it was going to be big, and it lived up to my expectations. It had its action battle between Mew and Mewtwo, its back story with the creation of Mewtwo by Team Rocket, and it had its sad moment with Ash being turned to stone while trying to put an end to all the fighting. All this combined made this one of the best if not the best pokemon movies up there with the Power of One.

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2013
    I simply loved the first movie, there was nothing about it that I disliked...well possibly the Pokemon tears part but that is not to important. The on going battle between the clones and the magnificent confrontation between Mew and Mewtwo. I am getting goosebumps just thinking about it. The only Pokemon movie that comes close to it is Pokemon the movie 2000, and even then it wins by a good margin.

I unfortunately did not watch it in the cinema but on Cartoon Network the very first time it came on, then when I had the money to do so I bought the movie and still have it to this day. In fact I feel like re-watching it right now and will do so.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I saw it in the Theaters the first time, although I can't remember it all clearly in my head - I do remember nearly crying at the part where Ash turned into stone (or whatever it was you want to call it). I guess it was because of all those other Pokémon crying, it just makes you feel even sadder.

Although it isn't my favourite movie, it is still an amazing movie - I remember I had a little Mewtwo obsession for the rest of the year after I watched it.

^ I soon later got the movie on VHS, it's still actually in my collections.

Zayin

#1 Team Rocket fan
    Years
  • I loved it. The first time I saw it was at my school gym where there was a giant screen. All the students gathered there and we could buy loads of candies and treats. It was a lot more fun than going to the theater. Great souvenirs <3. We were all so surprised when Snubull showed up in the Pikachu's Vacation short film. We had never imagined there would be new Pokemon =P. We also finally learnt that Pikablue was called Marill!

I've rewatched part of it recently, and noticed how the image quality was bad haha.

yossarian

Knight of Cydonia
    Years
  • It was brilliant. Just thinking about it again brings a smile to my face. Happy youthful days when "I was a kid" (Lol Iris).

It great partly just because of the excitement and the hype back then. It was around 11 years ago when Pokemon had just taken off and became immensely popular. Screens were sold out and people were queueing up outside the Cinema just to try and watch it early. There was a massive buzz surronding the whole thing. You just couldn't help getting caught up in it. I remember in the UK they were offering free Pokemon Cards when you went to see it; I remember getting a Dragonite!! However the movie itself was great, an epic and exciting plot. Altogether it made for a very enjoyable viewing experience.

PearlShipper4Life

Ash fan girl
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016
    It was pretty cool, I remember tons of people being in it and being a fan of Pokemon at that time. I have the card from the first movie and saw the second film, don't rememeber getting the card from that one but it was my favorite.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • The first movie was EPIC... I remember crying when I saw ash turn into stone to try to save his pokemon *nostaliga moment*....:( It's what also got me to like Mewtwo so much.

And after all it's what got me started playing pokemon :)

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2011
    I watched the English dub on DVD a few years ago and it was like 'nothing special'. Then recently I watched the Japanese dub without any subtitles. It was a world of difference from the English dub. I watched it a few times and it got more and more emotional each time.

Tox

fight me
    Years
  • I was six years old at the time but I can still remember quite clearly how it went.
    I went to the cinema with my mom, my aunt, my two younger sisters and my cousin but it was sold out when we got there. I was gutted but we went to see The Tigger Movie instead. xD

We all went back the next day, along with my mom's friend and her son. The movie was freakin' epic. I knew the whole thing by heart by the end, and didn't get to watch it again for a few years afterwards. I remember we all got Pokémon cards too. As far as I remember, mine had a Pokémon trainer on it. I'm pretty sure it was Red but my Pokémon cards have been gone for about eight years while we moved house. D:

Best. Movie. Ever. (Along with the second one <3)

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • If I recall correctly then I did not watch first movie in cinema and I got it on Christmas in form of cassette :D
    I'm sure I loved it and was very moved when I saw Mew + Mewtwo + Ash scene =)
    First and in fact only movie I've seen in cinema was movie 2 :D

yossarian

Knight of Cydonia
    Years
  • I watched the English dub on DVD a few years ago and it was like 'nothing special'. Then recently I watched the Japanese dub without any subtitles. It was a world of difference from the English dub. I watched it a few times and it got more and more emotional each time.

As many have pointed out it wasn't actually all about the movie itself. The storyline was good but it wasn't anything special. More it was the general atmosphere and hype surronding the whole thing at the time.

Years
  • I remember going to see it. I was so excited to see pikachu's vacation. Getting the card was cool, but thats not the main reason for me to go. It seriously is one of the best pokemon movies that has come out.

darkpokeball

Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o
    Years
  • I saw the clip where Ash was turned to stone, because I was bored one day and searched up Ash's death....but I have a faint memory of watching a part of it on television...something about black pokeballs that belonged to Mewtwo stealing Pokemon. Although, now I want to see the full thing.

Back