• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Was Your First Shiny?

SawkTheWarrior

SW-7387-7525-9201
Years
  • What is your first shiny? Don't forget to say what pokemon it is, where you caught it, and in what game.

My first shiny appeared when i was grinding for gym 2 in gen 4. Budew, i've never been a fan of, but that one just made me love 'em.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • A Golbat in Silver Version's Ice Path. I didn't notice the color difference and figured my eyes were playing tricks on me when I saw it sparkle like the Red Gyarados, so I tried to run away. I couldn't run (probably due to Golbat's speed) and, having read the couldn't get away message as "You don't want to do that!," I ended up catching it.

Made me feel special when my older cousin—after I told him about it—taught me about these super rare Shiny Pokémon and how he'd never found one.

Years
  • First random shiny I came across was a Teddiursa in Gold, just south of Blackthorn. Ended up OHKOing it because my team would've been 20+ more than it at the time, so it didn't stand a chance.

The first one that I caught was apparently a Shroomish in Sapphire. I never had any memory of finding it, but I saw it one of my PC boxes one day and it was clearly caught by me, so who knows what happened there.

Years
  • The first shiny I ever encountered was a Whsimur in Emerald back when I was really younger in Rusturf Tunnel. I noticed it was a different colour and I think I might have known about shinies then (maybe?) so I caught it! To date it's probably one of the few shinies I've encountered without actually trying, just wish I still had it :(

Years
  • my first accidental shiny was wurmple in route 3 (or 2? the one before petalburg). never really got to use it 'cause I don't use bug types :(

that was in emerald

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • Wingull in the postgame (I think it was Undella Bay) of Black, who I evolved into a Pelipper. I named her Lime :3

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2023
    Mine was Lairon in Emerald, caught in Victory Road on B1F, just before the ladder that leads to Wally. Surprisingly enough, I somehow knew what a shiny was and how rare they were. I immediately added it to the team, evolved it into Aggron and it even ended up being in my very first Emerald Hall of Fame.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • My very first shiny that I encountered was a Shiny Tentacool when I was surfing between Cianwood and Olivine City in Pokemon Gold. At the time I really didn't pay attention to it because to me, it was just another Tentacool so I ran from it, trying to swim as fast as possible because I hated surfing at the time.

Didn't find out until a few years later, that it was special.

My first actual Shiny that I caught was in Pokemon Heart Gold. I was training on Mt. Silver to face off against red and I ended up encountering a Shiny Ponyta. It was my very first shiny and made me love Ponyta as one of my favorites.

Not long after I ran into a Shiny Hoppip in the Safari Zone in HG, but ended up trading it for a Legendary in the GTS because I really didn't care for it. Hoppip may have actually been first, but I always forget about it, so I consider Ponyta my first, as it may still have been my first since I didn't really play around with the Safari Zone in HG until much later.

But that Ponyta really started getting me into Shiny Hunting.

Years
  • gahh I wish I could remember... excluding the red gyarados, I might have gotten a shiny from the day-care egg you get in crystal, but I can't remember ;_; also the shiny rate for those is pretty high, so even if I did, I won't count it! haha

excluding those, the earliest I can remember is a whismur in sapphire. though I was desperate to replay my platinum version and restarted over all my shinies... so many regrets ahhh

pkmin3033

Mine was a Whismur in Pokemon Ruby, which I almost killed because I didn't realise initially. But it had MINT GREEN EARS and I loved it. I was disappointed that shiny Exploud didn't have mint green ears too, but I still used it because it was my first ever shiny and I wanted it.

Years
  • My first was in Pokemon Y (been playing since the late 90's, must've been so unlucky!). I was intentionally hatching eggs for a shiny Aipom, it looks great in a picture/video but it's a real beauty to see it on the DS screen.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    First encountered was a Machoke in Diamond / Platinum, but I didn't have anything to catch it with...
    First captured was a shiny Kricketot in Platinum, literally the first Pokémon I encountered at Route 202!

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen today
    My first real shiny was Pawniard in Y. After I beat the game in 2016 I decided to try to complete a living dex. I went into the Lost Hotel to look for a second Magneton(didn't know you could breed pokemon with other species). I did 10 encounters and ran back outside without one. I changed my mind and ran back in. I encountered the first Pawniard but wasn't looking at the screen and had it muted. I looked over and the only reason I knew it was shiny was because I had just encountered some red ones moments before. I was only familiar with shinies because I had just started watching shiny hunting livestreams so I knew what a shiny was.
    I caught red Gyarados in gen 2 about 16 years earlier but didn't know it was a shiny, just that it was red.

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2020
    First shiny was a Tailow in Ruby. Like most people have been saying, i didn't realize it was shiny, i just noticed it was different. I caught it only because i wanted a flying type for the first forest area that i cant remember the name of. It wasn't only after i traded the Swellow for a Palkia that i realized it was shiny. Funny enough, in ORAS, i also encountered a full-odds shiny Tailow on the same route, and this time i kept the little green bird instead of trading it away

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • My first shiny was in Diamond. It was a random shiny Ponyta. But, sadly, that Diamond game can't read the data anymore, so I can't access it. :(

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • I still remember the Shiny Audino I accidentally stumbled upon when trying to rush past Unova Route 1. I was dumbfounded, to say the least.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • my first shiny will forever be special to me
    a Mienfoo in Black 2
    grinding to take on the Elite 4/Champion.... so all my Pokemon bit over leveled for the weasel, so its been the only time in my life I used a Master Ball, I did fear a single hit would make it faint

kind of special for me, not just for being my first shiny - I named it after my grandma

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I don't entirely remember, but I think it was either a Geodude or an Oddish in ruby ^^

The Gyarados in Johto doesn't count imo ;)

Back