• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What was your first starter pokemon?

Lavender

No, your gonna face ME first!
Years
  • What was your first time playing a pokemon game, and what was your starter?

Mine was Litten, i was 8 when sun and moon just came out and that was my first Pokemon game. Litten will always be my favorite starter, i had so much fun playing sun and I loved the franchise ever since. I also watched the sun and moon anime and enjoyed that too.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I started with Squirtle in Blue, I think! Can't remember 100% but I do remember I thought picking the box starter just made so much sense as a kid and Blue was my first game. Love my lil turtle <3

Years
  • My first starter ever was Turtwig but I never finished that playthrough. My first starter on a game that I actually played to the end and finished was Totodile.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    My first Pokemon game was Yellow, so my first starter was Pikachu, but since you could get all the Gen 1 starter Pokemon in that one (and I did), in a way all the Gen 1 starters were my first starter.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Chose Squirtle in Red. Considered Charmander too. Ultimately preferred the more distinct turtle over the big-snouted lizard.

Days
  • Charmander in Red, and oh boy, THAT was a mistake. I had no idea how to play an RPG at the time, I just wanted the awesome red dragon that was on the cartridge, the title screen, and the box. Brock and Misty absolutely destroyed me for my innocent, very poor choice. I cried a lot.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • My first was Treecko in Sapphire. I ended up soloing nearly the whole game with it because kid me didn't understand the concept of training multiple Pokemon at the same time.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • My first ever Starter Pokémon was Snivy in Pokémon Black, and thus my first ever Pokémon in general. At the time, I used an Action Replay cheat that unlocked Pokémon's Hidden Abilities. Even though Hidden Abilities were introduced in Generation V, not all Pokémon had access to them, which included the Starters, but they were programmed into the game. Using the cheat, I unlocked the Hidden Ability Contrary for my Snivy and had a great time. lol I really enjoyed seeing my Accuracy and Attack stats raise after being hit with Sand Attack and Growl respectively during the start of my game. Lol

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • My first Pokemon was (technically Pikachu in Yellow, but I was like 5 at the time and didn't understand RPG's at all...) Chamander in Fire Red.
    I had heard that it was kinda like picking hard difficulty for the early game, and I also really liked its design compaired to the others. It was the first Pokemon I've ever trained to level 100, did most of the work in my first play-through, and was named after my favorite Transformer from the Energon series, Inferno.
    Fun fact, the only time I ever whited out in my first run, was the one time I didn't have him with me in the Sevii Islands, never made that mistake again lol.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • Squirtle in Pokémon Blue, used to pick it pretty much every time I made a new file on Blue. Nowadays though I would probably choose Charmander and train a Butterfree to deal with Brock's Onix.

SteCisGreendog

Iron Armour Forever
    Years
  • Bulbasaur in Red. Or was it Blue...? I had a neighbour friend living next door whom I got into Pokemon and we ended up borrowing each other's versions for a while, it was absurd. But I definitely chose Bulbasaur for an easy edge of my very first gameplay.

Boomix

Wandering Artist in the Pokemon plains...
    Days
    • she/her
    • Seen Jun 20, 2023
    My first game was Pokemon Red as a hs freshman, started dipping my toes into Pokemon after years of restrictions in my home. I only had access to emulators and my first starter was Squirtle! I didn't want to follow the trend of picking Charmander so after forgetting to save with Charmander, I just chose Squirtle and progressed through my gameplay with him <3

Days
  • Totodile in SoulSilver, and he's been my all-time favourite Pokemon since. Also, Feraligatr has such a cool design.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Bulbasaur in Pokémon Red. Have you ever noticed this is a "poison type starter" as well?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Cyndaquil, but I didn't finish that playthrough. There were the first three gens available back when I knew about the games and I didn't know where to start from, so I played a bit of Gold to check the gameplay but then decided to start from Red to play the games in order, because someone told me GS were sequels.

Chose Cyndaquil again when going back to Gold, but started from the beginning.

beverlybilly

Banned
    Days
    • Seen Jul 13, 2023
    My first Pokémon game was when I was about 10. I played Pokémon Red on my Game Boy Color, and I chose Charmander. Charmander really quickly became my favorite.

Back