• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen What was your most OMGWTF moment in B/R/Y

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    I seriously went OMGWTFROFL when I saw Missingno. in Yellow. A black screen for 10 seconds, I thought I messed it up and then it showed and froze. I tried it 4 times and I caught it after it booted normally, sort of. Got a level 7, then became 1 Rhydon out of the battle, then I threw it in the PC as it can't level up.

salmence33

I'm out here
    Years
    • He/him
    • Seen Apr 26, 2024
    I only played those games when I was like 6, and I got scared easily

I walk into the tower in lavender town and make it all the way to the ghost, once I start the battle I see the ghost, no big deal, I throw a pokeball at it and it misses..."OMFG MOMMY!!!"

and imagine my surprise when I throw out a scared charizard

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    Biggest facepalm moments of R/B/Y

When I first played the Red version, it took me HOURS to figure out how to deliver Oak's parcel in the beginning of the game. o_o I was also stuck in the forest forever. I also remember there being a rumor that you could get Mew by using strength on this random truck.. so I tried XD

That's not as bad as my best friend, who couldn't figure how to get out of her room in the beginning of Blue.
    She also didn't understand pressing "start" after you were done typing a nickname, so all of her Pokemon had tons of spaces after their names. :laugh:

I also used to try to battle with Metapods.. using "Harden" over and over until it used struggle. Oh lord.

More later

Last edited:

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
    First off, I really love that avatar.

I remember spending hours trying to navigate Silph Co. and the Saffron Gym. When I finally beat the gym, my gameboy ran out of power and shut off. I didn't pick my gameboy up for like a month after that.

Years
    First off, I really love that avatar.

I remember spending hours trying to navigate Silph Co. and the Saffron Gym. When I finally beat the gym, my gameboy ran out of power and shut off. I didn't pick my gameboy up for like a month after that.

Yeah, getting through Saffron Gym was a pain in the ass until you learned the pattern.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    This is more of the OMGWTF moments, so I'll just merge'em.

As for mine...umm...I can't think of any right now. xD Any time I run into a Entei/Raikou/Suicune on GSC I guess.

Skitty Crazy

I want cake.
    Years
    When I was like, in third grade, I was battling with a friend during recess. I think it was Silver/Gold... Yes, it was.

Anyways, he switched Pokemon, and this random level 100 Tangela nicknamed "?" was sent out. I don't remember what attack it used, but I knocked it out in one hit. Next Pokemon he sent out? Another Tangela, this time named "!"...

I really can't remember the details anymore. Too many years ago. xD

Arcanemage

Arcanine at heart!
    Years
    When I first played the Red version, it took me HOURS to figure out how to deliver Oak's parcel in the beginning of the game. o_o I was also stuck in the forest forever. I also remember there being a rumor that you could get Mew by using strength on this random truck.. so I tried XD

That's not as bad as my best friend, who couldn't figure how to get out of her room in the beginning of Blue.
    She also didn't understand pressing "start" after you were done typing a nickname, so all of her Pokemon had tons of spaces after their names. :laugh:

I also used to try to battle with Metapods.. using "Harden" over and over until it used struggle. Oh lord.

More later

I totally agree Metapod was like the most frustrating Pokemon in the entire game. I think it was born trying to frustrate innocent people, a malicious intent on behalf of Nintnedo. Not :cool: Oh and in Ruby and Diamond I hated the fact that I spent all the time translating the rocks directions on how to get Regirock from brail when I realized that someone had posted a guide online showing me how to. Oh boy was that a bad day for me.

Last edited:

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Okay, this is GSC, but it's hilarious nonetheless. Some random kid at school showed me that he'll battle a Red GYARADOS (and I haven't reached it yet) and he thought it can't be caught. I tried to tell him that it could, but the kid was stubborn. Oh, well, he lost a shiny GYARADOS.

In about 3 days he comes back to show me that he's going to battle HO-OH and when he did, it was shiny. A freaking shiny HO-OH! The chances are 1 in 65536 and he thought he couldn't catch, I was in shock at the time, I was thinking of how to catch it. He killed it. That was hilarious.

Years
    When I finally realised that electricity had no use against rock. Damn the anime for teaching me falsities!

Actually, electricity DOES work on rock-types. The fact that most of them are part-ground (which electric is ineffective against) must've tricked you.

Dempa

Fire Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    Mine was probably getting lost in Rock Tunnel for weeks.
    I didn't have Flash either :|

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    I got through Rock Cave in a few hours, but I had Yellow, but I was too lazy to learn FLASH.

Zakki-C-Mo

strategic trainer
    Years
    mine is definitely on red when i was like 6, i knew nothing, but i randomly bought a pokeball and caught a pikachu (remember i didnt know how to get pokeballs and forgot how i got the one i got)
    and then released my squirtle, which i also didnt understand i was doing,
    so i was stuck on brock (never beat him i had to restart), i had a level 19 pikachu and still couldnt beat him... it was a horrible experience!

loliwin

→ Level 69
    Years
    I was in Indigo Plateau, about to battle the elite four. :) I had the desire and urge to defeat them. And I knew I did. I felt like I was one of the best Pokemon Trainer ever! With legendaries in my team, I felt UNSTOPPABLE.

So I face the first member. She releases her Pokemon and I release my beast of a...... LEVEL 10 MAGIKARP!? WTF!? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Back