• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Wiki Host Should I Use?

Denali

C++ Programmer
Years
  • SO I am making a Wiki with Mediawiki. Instead of buying a server, I am getting a host. So which one should I use? I was thinking Siteground? Has anybody used Siteground before? Any feedback would help.

Last edited:

aRedMoon

Wait for me outside the lines
    Years
  • It's different if they have a package for it.

MediaWiki, if not correctly configured, (and sometimes even if it is!!!) can be a horrible resource hog. And when you're on a shared server that is horribly oversold, it can be really detrimental to everyone.

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • I don't think you emphasised how much of a resource hog that monstrosity can be. I remember when I used it, properly configured, and it killed my shared server on Hostgator. I was responsible for 100+ sites going down for about a day.. banned.

Tyler

PHP Scripter
    Years
  • I don't think you emphasised how much of a resource hog that monstrosity can be. I remember when I used it, properly configured, and it killed my shared server on Hostgator. I was responsible for 100+ sites going down for about a day.. banned.

Ouch! That's pretty serious. I, myself, am not really a fan of wiki's.

Denali

C++ Programmer
    Years
  • I've looked around and I've seen some other Wiki's get hosted too. And if SiteGround has a package just for Mediawiki, even helping you install it, then it is their fault if it's a big hog. Plus, I'm paying them.... Anyways, are there any other hosts I should check out?

aRedMoon

Years
  • If a host offers a package, it's possible it's something like Wikia, where it's a specially configured server that is going to be nothing but Wiki, possibly running off of "central" install or something. I'd say go with them, as they are used to it.

(I run a moderately popular wiki, Wikimon, that absolutely killed my previous server :( I am now $20 poorer a month because I had to upgrade)

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2020
    Use memcached; if you can't use that, or any other persistent cache mechanism such as APC or eAccelerator, then you should not be using software like MediaWiki. I'm going to say the same thing about vBulletin as well.

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
  • I've seen Wikidot pop up as an option in the past year. I personally wouldn't use it though.

Denali

C++ Programmer
    Years
  • I've seen Wikidot pop up as an option in the past year. I personally wouldn't use it though.
    I've already tried Wikidot, but I didn't really like it. It also is free I believe, which I am aiming for a paid host. Thanks for the suggestion though.... :)

Denali

C++ Programmer
    Years
  • Yeah I already tried Wikidot, but didn't really like it. Plus I am aiming for a paid host. Thanks for the suggestion though.... :)

aRedMoon

Years
  • What subject are you looking to base your wiki on? Do you think it'd become popular, or just a little thing that 5 people view/edit?

Back