• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What will you always remember about Gen 4?

Mecha-Scrafty

Gastrodon shall rule us all.
Years
  • You know what i will ALWAYS remember? That ingame trade in the snowy town. I had never feel so betrayed in my life. I was like: "MY GOD I WILL HAVE GENGAR!" Guess what? NOPE! Thats how you get the everstone. THE EVERSTONE. *cries internally*

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    The way I figured out how to train Pokémon relatively quickly on the Battle Island.
    I had a spot for every type of Pokémon, I tell you. Even if it was just defeating wild Pokémon, would still be able to get to 100 within a day or two.

I remember the time I first got to use the GTS, and I eventually got several event Pokémon. Mostly Gen. III ones. I had never been able to get any event Pokémon in Gen. III and never could have gotten any in Gen. IV until I got WFC access. It was awesome.

And at some point, I heard about the Milotic event that Japan had, back in December 2007. Someone on another forum at the time talked about how Japan had that event now, and it doesn't have an event ribbon, so I was able to get one on the GTS. I was so happy! I started training it right away and got it from 60-something to 100 in an evening.

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2017
    I sold most of my Gen 4 games, which I now regret. I only have my Platinum which freezes up 95% percent of the time.

So here are my most memorable moments which I hope I can relive again someday if I find a legitimate copy of a Gen 4 game.
    -Strutting with my Suicune in HG because I just caught her with a regular pokeball with no cheats!
    -Getting my butt kicked by Red when I accidentally talked to him...
    -The distortion world in Platinum, Giratina's creepy-awesome grand appearance, the ---Battle Frontier
    -Overusing my Action Replay to the point where the whole game was so easy that it wasn't very fun anymore...

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    I sold most of my Gen 4 games, which I now regret. I only have my Platinum which freezes up 95% percent of the time.

So here are my most memorable moments which I hope I can relive again someday if I find a legitimate copy of a Gen 4 game.
    -Strutting with my Suicune in HG because I just caught her with a regular pokeball with no cheats!
    -Getting my butt kicked by Red when I accidentally talked to him...
    -The distortion world in Platinum, Giratina's creepy-awesome grand appearance, the ---Battle Frontier
    -Overusing my Action Replay to the point where the whole game was so easy that it wasn't very fun anymore...

If your Platinum game freezes, it may be because of contact issues. Cleaning the contacts may help.

I also had issues with getting my DS games to be read at all anymore, and when they did it was easy for them to lock up because the contact wasn't being good in the cartridge slot. So I took a pencil and ran it back and forth 2-3 times on every line of the contacts at the back of the cartridge (graphite is a decent conductor as far as electronics go) and they worked so much better after that.
    If you have the proper stuff for cleaning the contacts though it's probably better to try that first. :p

I remember a while ago I opened up my Diamond game cause, well, it wasn't really working well at all anymore and I was told taking it out of the casing and re-assembling could help. While it was open I took an eraser and "erased" back and forth over the contacts a few times cause I had heard that could help clean up the contacts. Then I put it back together and it was working again. Only problem is, the cartridge doesn't stay together anymore, because to open it you have to break whatever is holding the two halves together. So I have to be careful while handling it, and if I drop it then it pops open lol.

BlissyMKW

Rawr
    Years
  • Not counting the existance of HeartGold and SoulSilver, I'd only be able to remember the slower pace of things in terms of battles and the ungodly slow Surf speed in Diamond and Pearl. So glad they fixed that in Platinum because it really bothered me in my few runs of Diamond back when I had the physical copy.

Sirenita55

Team Popplio!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2018
    Becoming the Champion for the first time, using Piplup and Hydro Pump vs Milotic to finally win.

Infinitum

╭━━╮╱╱╭━? ??╱╱╱╱╭╮╱? ?╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱ ╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱? ??╭?
    Years
  • That my original cartridge of Diamond got destroyed by teeth of a dog.

Electricbluewolf

Bᴇ pıɟɟǝɹǝuʇ
    Years
  • Gen 4 was by far the game I achieved the most on:

National Dex completed
    Lots of shinies legitimately caught
    First time RNG/Masuda Method
    Got many event pokemon
    Filling up the GTS Clobe.

Great fun Gen 4, haven't thrown myself into the latest games as much sadly.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    - Being eight and trying to take on Cynthia for the first time - we ended up spending an extra hour at my friend's house because I insisted I had to beat her fight before I could go home. It took fifteen soft resets till her Garchomp finally decided not to use Earthquake.

- Getting out of Victory Road and doing a happy dance because I'd been stuck in there for days. I was never very good at Geography!

- The many firsts I had when playing Platinum. First starter, first completed pokemon game, first gym battle...

- Beating my sister's high school friend in a pokemon battle on Platinum whilst she was over at our house. I thought I was a pokemon master.

- The follow me feature and wondering how on earth Ho-oh fit through the door to the Pokemon Center.

- Exploring the Distortion World and being spooked out but fascinated. I also remember how cool it felt to fight Giratina/Dialga/Palkia.

- Spending days chasing the roaming legendaries and how many legendary fights there were in general!

- Rematching the gym leaders, the Battle Frontier and the Battle Resort. I remember getting to the battle before the Battle Head and losing. Didn't end up trying again!

- The great soundtracks.

- The underground feature and hunting for treasure.

That's all I have for now!

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
  • More than anything, returning home to Johto in HGSS (I'm replaying it AGAIN). Cynthia, the lore expansions, and so forth were also very big to me.

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2019
    -Cynthia (best champion)
    -Team Galactic, actually crazy and had a real apocalyptic plan
    -New pokemon, garchomp, togekiss, spiritomb etc.
    -GTS and wifi battles
    -Remake of my first game i played (silver)
    -they walk behind you
    -music in the games
    -so many good features can only hope gen 4 gets remade onto the nx

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    All that content! Lots of great features in not only Platinum but in HGSS, too. The Battle Frontier, the wi-fi mini-game place, the PokéAthlon, the PokéWalker, and more...there's so much stuff to do, and all of it is super fun! I played SoulSilver almost every day from the day of its release to the day of gen 5's release and I still didn't get through it all! Platinum is the pinnacle of what a third version should be: taking the two prior games that can be combined without losing what made them distinct and adding enough of a twist to keep it fresh. HGSS is the pinnacle of what remakes should be: keeping all of the content of the originals (yes, even Crystal is represented here!) while making everything up-to-date and adding new content to make it into its own, new existence.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • I wasn't a fan of DP, but Platinum and HGSS were some of my favorites. Generation IV will always be remembered for being the last generation with the Battle Frontier, and I remember battling (and losing against) Dahlia. HGSS were also great, and had a bunch of points that explain
    Route 47. Safari Zone. Music. Walking Pokémon. Pokéathlon.

Generation IV in general was a generatiom that dug deeper than any other generation before it. Ot may not have the beautiful sprites of Generation III, but it certainly did have the best in-game events, Pokémon (especially the legendaries), and villainous team.

Elysieum

Requiescat en pace.
    Years
  • I will remember the fantastic battle animations. There was such a huge graphical leap between the GBA and NDS and I love that you could see it in every battle.

Bright colours, graded transparencies and rapid animations (at least in Platinum and HG/SS) made for some dazzling impressions on my young mind.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • Well firstly id like to point out what we are all thinking about...team galactics hair. Ah the turquoise/tealish/bluish hair the grunts had and the weird styles the admins had those memories of seeing that hair will permanently be stuck in your memory.

Now onto other topics i would say the distortion world it was a really cool feature of those games where you hadnt seen it in any previous games nor in future games so far i mean comeon guys walking sideways? that was pretty great!

As for HGSS i loved the pokeathalon that was super cool! Especially training your pokemon for it and all with apricots and such and then when you got into that final room and it was such a dissapointment! Good times~

Lastly id say the graphics it was a large jump from gen 3 to 4 and i think they did a good job although i must say some of the charcater sprites looked alittle chubby haha. Oh oh and also the attack animations those were great too i remember first seeing them and i almost cried...im serious i almost cried they were just so beautiful. To those who started pokemon after gen 4 or with gen 4 you wont understand completely but you went from these okish average graphics in gen 3 to bright vibrant colors moving across the screen with moving pokemon attacking with flames and rocks and oh it was just so nice xD

Years
  • Cynthia (My favorite Pokemon female character in the series), Arcade Star Dahlia (My second blah blah you know lol), Pokeathlon is amazing and 2 more things. Battle Frontier (We will never forget you) aaaaaaaaaand Distortion World lol i love walking upside down :)

Back