• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What would be after Gen 6?

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    They're going to release generation 7 because it makes money. Pokémon is approaching Mario as the most popular franchise in video game industry so pulling the plug would be carrier suicide for the entirety of Nintendo.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    They could always stop introducing new Pokémon if fans really want them to, but I don't think they would ever stop making new Pokémon games. Personally, I wouldn't like to see them stop making these games, either. They enjoy making Pokémon games, and the fans enjoy playing them. d: They're also earning millions of dollars when they release a new game, and if they suddenly stopped releasing them, then I'm sure that it would hurt their business a lot.
    Came here to say this. :3 And also that, from what we've seen from X & Y so far, the pokémon games can improve more and more and possibly end up like a reversed Final Fantasy franchise. Greater story and plot and characters and gameplay the later the generations.

Not sure they want to make even more pokémon. Probably some, but not 100+ for every generation. Perhaps soon, there will mostly be a few mascot pokémon released for every new generation, since the bulk of necessary kinds already exist.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Well Masuda has stated the aim of pokemon isn't to catch them all. Even then with the new features introduced in X&Y it'll be easier than ever to get a hold of pokemon you want.

Not to mention I really doubt they would have introduced pokebank if they didn't see many many generations in the future.

So to answer the question, Generation 7 will be after generation 6....and if tradition holds we'll get over 100 new pokemon. It wouldn't be an understatement to say new pokemon are the lifeblood of each generation. After all when X & Y started leaking, what was the first thing people were interested in?

Last edited:

PeskyJoltik

EPICLY HAPPY
    Years
    Well , I really don't know what they are going to do after Pokemon X and Y. Maybe they'll make another game? Well, I have this idea in my mind going on, maybe if they can make a Pokemon game where you can travel from one region to another region, that would be great! Pokemon Epic Adventures! Well, really, that would be great! It's fun travelling from one region to another region, meeting more characters,more new Pokemons, Gym leaders, and cool and epic Events! But nah, I dont think they'll make that kind of Pokemon Game,.
    Well I don't know what they are planning after the release of Pokemon X and Y

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    I personally think that Nintendo's best option for Pokemon to be able to continue would be to do a reboot. It doesn't necessarily need to happen in Gen 7, but I think there does have to be an eventual limit to the number of Pokemon obtainable. I don't want there to be 10,000 Pokemon to catch. I know that fans would be very displeased with a total restart but I honestly think it would be a good move. It would also free up more ideas for Pokemon because you wouldn't have to care if something similar to it already exists (Although the Pidgey-likes already prove that's not much of an issue xD.)

If Nintendo wanted to be real slick about it, they could have the reboot take place in space. This would allow a new environment and give a reason why the old Pokemon are not there. If the reboot isn't well received they could just return back to the regular Pokemon world. It's kind of a nice compromise of the old Pokemon still existing but giving a reasonable explanation for why they aren't obtainable.

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
    Years
    What else...? Generation 7.
    Still... can we consider 69 Pokemon or so a "Generation"?
    It's more like add-on to 5th generation...
    Generation 5.5 I guess?

That is the trick of it, really. I think they are slowing on the number they include in each new generation because there are a lot now. But the game can always improve, the quality of the images, features, minigames, etc.

To the thread's topic:

But Pokemon is here to stay, it will never end, at least not in the lifetime of Game Freak. Oddly it's not about the money, have you seen how the devs talk about the next game? There's a lot of love for the franchise, and if Mario and Luigi can keep going this long, Pokemon will go a lot longer. But .... what does the future hold? Who knows? The 3D effect on the 3DS was considered science fiction when the first Pokemon came out, many thought it would be impossible, but now the technology was not really that big of an innovation, many wondered what too so long. Now Pokemon is just starting to enter the 3D world as well, this is the first of the mainline Pokemon games to finally get 3D battles. One day we may have holographic projection capabilities, imagine face to face battles that can play out in front of everyone! How awesome that would be.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    That is the trick of it, really. I think they are slowing on the number they include in each new generation because there are a lot now. But the game can always improve, the quality of the images, features, minigames, etc.

To the thread's topic:

But Pokemon is here to stay, it will never end, at least not in the lifetime of Game Freak. Oddly it's not about the money, have you seen how the devs talk about the next game? There's a lot of love for the franchise, and if Mario and Luigi can keep going this long, Pokemon will go a lot longer. But .... what does the future hold? Who knows? The 3D effect on the 3DS was considered science fiction when the first Pokemon came out, many thought it would be impossible, but now the technology was not really that big of an innovation, many wondered what too so long. Now Pokemon is just starting to enter the 3D world as well, this is the first of the mainline Pokemon games to finally get 3D battles. One day we may have holographic projection capabilities, imagine face to face battles that can play out in front of everyone! How awesome that would be.
    I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we got augmented reality battle capability by Gen 7. Personal hologram technology is probably a good ways away but I could see it happening someday.
    Back in MAH' day we didn't have no fancy-schmancy holograms. Our games were had to be experience by starin' at a flat-screened box!

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Generation VII !!!
    Although , I thinking off dropping Pokemon completely if Ash doesn't win the League this time So Gen VI probably be the last Gen for me !!!

Lucky1Yena

Just some guy
    Years
    What's after the Gen6 games?

Gen7.

I think though it's going to go like this:

X and Y
    R/S/E remakes
    A third game release (Z?)

Somewhere along the line we'll see another Mystery Dungeon or two, and another Ranger title, with other side-games. Perhaps another Pinball game too?

Then Gen7 will eventually come, probably some time in 2016.

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
    Years

Gen7.

X and Y
    R/S/E remakes

Somewhere along the line we'll see another Mystery Dungeon or two, and another Ranger title, with other side-games. Perhaps another Pinball game too?

A pinball game would be awesome, especially if they worked with Zen Studios on it. Most of the spin-offs I care not for, but does anyone else want to see a new TCG for the 3DS to be made?

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we got augmented reality battle capability by Gen 7. Personal hologram technology is probably a good ways away but I could see it happening someday.
    Back in MAH' day we didn't have no fancy-schmancy holograms. Our games were had to be experience by starin' at a flat-screened box!

Well ... back in my day, you had to move the pieces yourself, and if you lost one of the pieces, you had to buy a new one. :P

Last edited:

blue

gucci
    Years
    I believe it will go something like this.

After Pokémon X & Y have been globally released the news front will be quiet, we will get a couple of new spin-offs and maybe a returning spin-off game scattered throughout 2014, towards the end of 2014 there will be hints of a new set of games in the works which will eventually be revealed around the same time Pokémon X & Y were announced, January 2015. These would turn out to be the highly and long anticipated Pokémon Ruby & Sapphire Remakes which again, will get a worldwide simultanious release 8-9 months following the date they were announced giving them a release date of around Septepber/October 2015. Once they have been released I'd expect them to return back to the "third game" pattern and release Pokémon Z sometime in 2016, originally I thought they would do something else, but the counterpart legendary to Pokémon X & Y seems to indicate that we could just get Pokémon Z. Then, obviously Generation VII would be announced the following year in 2017 and then I'm unsure where they would go from there.

That's just how I see it though!

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2017
    I personally think that Nintendo's best option for Pokemon to be able to continue would be to do a reboot. It doesn't necessarily need to happen in Gen 7, but I think there does have to be an eventual limit to the number of Pokemon obtainable. I don't want there to be 10,000 Pokemon to catch. I know that fans would be very displeased with a total restart but I honestly think it would be a good move. It would also free up more ideas for Pokemon because you wouldn't have to care if something similar to it already exists (Although the Pidgey-likes already prove that's not much of an issue xD.)

If Nintendo wanted to be real slick about it, they could have the reboot take place in space. This would allow a new environment and give a reason why the old Pokemon are not there. If the reboot isn't well received they could just return back to the regular Pokemon world. It's kind of a nice compromise of the old Pokemon still existing but giving a reasonable explanation for why they aren't obtainable.

why not have the option of catching that many pokemon?

that being said, i think they may try for gen 7: Pokemon Master&Leader =w=

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2017
    why not have the option of catching that many pokemon?

that being said, i think they may try for gen 7: Pokemon Master&Leader =w=
    That is an absolute nightmare for a completionist, which is what Pokemon caters to quite nicely. That's such a herculean task that it would actually turn people away, I think.

You should also consider the developers and what creating ten thousand Pokemon would entail. The developers do seem to put an effort in making sure Pokemon are unique from one another. If it hit the ten thousand mark it would become much harder to keep the uniqueness of each Pokemon. It also becomes even more difficult to keep track of each Pokemon.

There are certainly people who could get behind it but I would wager they are the minority.

I am curious though, what made you come up Gen 7 being called Pokemon Master and Leader?

Heather

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2021

Gen7.

X and Y
    R/S/E remakes

I was thinking something around these lines. I expect Nintendo will continue making games for Pokemon since they are releasing the "Pokemon Bank" soon.

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
    Years
    Ending Pokemon now would be like Game Freak shooting themselves in the head, truly. First, there would be a huge drop in investor confidence, it's their backbone game and their soul franchise. Most of the devs for the company would probably seek employment elsewhere, heartbroken and lost. The fans would all be ready to riot. Then the open source projects will appear .... and destroy what's left of the game portion of the franchise with a ton of poorly written copies and nothing new added. The anime would fade into obscurity, the plushies would be found in dumpsters, and the cards would become lighter logs. But the reason for all this is not just because of ending it, it would be because of ending the game on a cliffhanger, as others mentioned .... the pokebank. Imagine going to a restaurant and ordering a full meal, then after you take one bite of the most delicious steak you have ever tasted .... they take it all away and say they're closed, that's what it would be like.

Nymue

Draconic Neophyte
    Years
    I hope they keep venturing outwards with new kinds of gameplay. I hope they'll interpret the response to X and Y as encouragement to try new and different things; we don't need to keep playing the same game over and over.

In the next gen (or next game in current gen) I'd love to see lots more new kinds of Pokémon, and I hope they get really passionate people to come up with them. I don't see why it should run out of steam now.

For people who don't want to catch more than 800 Pokémon, good for them. They can stick to the current games and their remakes if they don't want the Pokédex to get bigger. But so long as there are decent ideas for new Pokémon to come up with, I want to see more! More variety! Hell, there are Pokémon now that aren't the cleverest designs, but who cares when you've got so many more to choose from?

The boundaries of the Pokémon world are limitless; that's the whole charm of the franchise.

Back