• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen what would be the most challenging team to play the game through?

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    There's a thread concerning ideal starters to start your game with, but I was wondering what 6 Pokemon would be the most challenging to compose your team solely with? be it because of their stats, or their gimmicky abilities or simply their terrible move pools, which would you have the hardest time getting through the entire game with? You can catch other pokemon, but you can ONLY use these six throughout the whole game to battle (HM users not counted, anything you need to progress the game can be used as needed, I just mean the 6 in your battle team. And also, yes, they ail evolve eventually, no holding things back and not letting them evolve JUST to make things harder, and also, it will at least break up the monotony a little of having the same 6 pokemon for the entire game)

I wouldn't even know where to start. (note: I WON'T be placing Luvdisc on here even though likely tons of others will because with it's speed it actually can be made into a pretty decent pokemon if you're not looking for sheer strength)

I would presume Wobbuffet being one of them.
    Unown (even with psychic type hidden power)
    Shuckle (even though is has very high defenses it has no attack making, at the very least, battles very very long)
    Shedinja (even with Wonder Guard, since even wealth can knock it out, it's not THAT wonderful and will likely die often)
    and I can't think of another 2

I SO wanted to put Slaking and Smeargle on this list, but both, lets be honest, can be pretty amazing pokemon so it wouldn't make the game much of a challenge) even Bidoof can be pretty good with it's Simple ability.

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    I SO wanted to put Slaking and Smeargle on this list, but both, lets be honest, can be pretty amazing pokemon so it wouldn't make the game much of a challenge) even Bidoof can be pretty good with it's Simple ability.

I would say Ditto is another that would be very difficult to use in-game, and despite what you said, Smeargle too. It has terrible stats and is hard to use effectively outside of a competitive setting, especially when you have limited resources to teach it moves.

Others that I have found irritating to use in-game are Delibird, Castform and Larvesta, although not on the same scale as the ones already mentioned. Larvesta mostly because of its ridiculously high evolution level, and until it evolves it's annoyingly weak.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    I would say Ditto is another that would be very difficult to use in-game, and despite what you said, Smeargle too. It has terrible stats and is hard to use effectively outside of a competitive setting, especially when you have limited resources to teach it moves.

Others that I have found irritating to use in-game are Delibird, Castform and Larvesta, although not on the same scale as the ones already mentioned. Larvesta mostly because of its ridiculously high evolution level, and until it evolves it's annoyingly weak.

You're right, I forgot all about Ditto and in the first (probably) half of the game or so when everything that fights you has terrible move sets you will too whenever you transform! Also yes, you're right about Smeargle, because it's one thing when you have access to all your pokemon and all their awesome moves and a different thing entirely when you have to rely on wild pokemon, trainer pokemon and the other 5 members of your team.

I LOVE Castform, I actually use it quite a lot, so outside of it only having 1 damaging move OR focusing entirely on a single weather based move set, I find it very useful actually. Delibird and Larvesta I haven't actually used yet, I'll check them out, but I think I will definitely be adding Ditto to that team for sure! Thanks for the input!

§1

Rocket grunt
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2022
    there are a fair number of pick up pokemon that aren't particularly op

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Imposter ditto is actually kinda devastating under the right circumstances.
    This is a hard one though...

you're right, it can be, however, only if your opponent has good moves. a LOT of the wild pokemon and even a lot of the trainers you fight in game (especially within the first half of the game or so) have utterly garbage move sets. There's even a few wild pokemon that have NO damage dealing moves whatsoever, so your Ditto would be just as bad as whatever you are battling.

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    I LOVE Castform, I actually use it quite a lot, so outside of it only having 1 damaging move OR focusing entirely on a single weather based move set, I find it very useful actually. Delibird and Larvesta I haven't actually used yet, I'll check them out, but I think I will definitely be adding Ditto to that team for sure! Thanks for the input!

I love both Castform and Delibird, they're very fun to use, but I find they faint far too quickly. Delibird has a terrible movepool too, and its Hidden Ability has to be a joke. It has Insomnia as its Hidden Ability, when one of its regular Abilities is Vital Spirit... {XD}

Last edited:
    Years
  • Ohh.. this should be fun.. my team of hard pokes to use!

Magcrago - because it's slow as dirt and has a ton of weaknesses.. and it's highest stat is physical defense. It's well over 100, ironically enough.

Aurorus - Just about as bad as Maggy, but has a decent special attack stat.. but kind of slow. If you can fight something that doesn't totally obliterate it, it might actually be able to use it's power.

Corsola - A defensive Poke with a bad HP stat, a bunch of weaknesses and a relatively useless movepool. It's only real advantage would be regenerator if it doesn't get KO'd from the first hit it takes. I'm pretty sure there's some creative person out there that can make this Poke work for them, but I haven't figured it out.

Leavanny - To be honest, I would use this Pokemon legit if it wasn't for the fact that it's typing is so bad. It's actually got good status, good moves.. it's just got the same problems as the others in this team, which is numerous weaknesses. I used this guy in my White game until I decided to retire it in favor of something that wouldn't be as frail. If you're really feeling ballzy, you can switch it out for a Parasect and experience all the pain without the moves or the stats backing you up.

Hypno - It's a bit lopsided in it's stats, and doesn't really have the same kind of tools/stats must pyschic types have.. Hypno needs to rely on Hypnosis to do any serious work, and there in lies the problem with it. It's just a gamble trying to use it effectively.

And Bibarel.. just because.

Granted, these weaknesses can be over looked if you over level in the story.. but online, you'll be destroyed, no question. Have fun! :P

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    Magikarp(everstone) tackle and flail tackle and flail ;)(i actually beat a gym leader using flail once)
    Hoppip eh it is kinda useless especially early on it only know splash
    Sunkern)i had it in my team once in an all plant challenge silver and my it was so useless)
    ledyba does it learn anything better than comet punch? i havent used it since silver.
    feebas like magikarp really
    eevee(everstone) i think eevee is only good for evolving lol. otherwise it hasnt got any special stats on its own really.

BigSteve

Pokemon Bright Gold
    Years
  • Feebas learns loads of good Dragon egg moves though!

Id say challenging team would be
    Metapod
    Kakuna
    Silcoon
    Cascoon
    all captured in that form so they only have harden. Given a Rocky Helmet each they could potentially win a fight!
    Then smeargle and Ditto to fill the team up

Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2014
    I'd say in my opinion that the most difficult challenging would have to be, with a all the legionaries in the whole pokemon party, But i also have to put Ditto since that pokemon can basically transform into any pokemon even the legionaries.

Years
  • This seems fun to talk about...

What I think would make the most challenging team to use:

Amaura/Aurorus - The main problem the icy dino suffers are its massive number of weaknesses, notably the nasty Fighting and Steel one, and I believe that Fighting-types seem to be quite common in the main storyline, but aside from that it also has to worry about Ground, Rock, Grass and Water moves. As long as you're a smart player and let your other Pokemon handle its many weaknesses you should be fine.

Ledian - I'm surprised one hasn't mentioned that forgettable alien-faced ladybug yet, its stats are totally pathetic and even at that the only one that's good is Sp. Defense. Also, suffers a lot of the common weaknesses that Bug/Flying-types have going for it.

All cocoon-based evos - Yeah, Metapod, Kakuna, Silcoon, Cascoon, Spewpa etc. are just gonna be so hard to use because they are weak but most likely only going to learn the stereotypical "cocoon Pokemon moveset". That's why they want you to get it to its final evo quickly.

Delibird - Terrible stats, a very pathetic signature move and two redundant abilities (one being a hidden ability for god sake), however it can still learn TM moves so yeah not out of luck here!

Ditto - It's got terribly low HP, and that's the only stat it doesn't copy when it transforms. It'll die very quickly so yeah you gotta be a skilled person to use it effectively.

Castform - While it learns some interesting moves and has the potential to get STAB from its Fire, Water and Ice moves (and also Weather Ball) when the correct weather is in play, it still sucks so badly in the stats department. No offense to my Castform-loving friend on PC...

Other notable mentions... Shuckle, Spinda, Corsola, Sunflora, Wobbuffet, Smeargle, Luvdisc. Also any baby that evolves through happiness if you don't evolve it quickly enough and make it miss on moves its evolved form learns. And pretty much anything with more than one 4x weakness. I would have said Bibarel but I give it a pass due to its usability as an HM Slave.

Back