• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What would you recomend...

Years
  • Anyway a real underused pokemon I'd reccomend is any fossil pokemon.

Kabuto & Kabutops
    Omanyte & evo (whats it's name)
    And if R/S/E
    is yours.
    Anorith & Armaldo
    Lileep & Cradily

it_landry

Trainer of Water
    Years
  • I think we'll all agree that you'll have to listen to me in the post right here:

If your tier is based soley on how often you see pokemon used, the tier will fail in the eyes of the general battler. I'm sure you could have a server full of people that use Arbok every day, but the fact of the matter is that a good, solid tier takes consideration of stats as well. For example, what if you never saw Salamence (although thats highly unlikely) except for once in a whole month? If you decided to use that as a basis for Salamence being UU or NU, you'd have a pokemon that would sweep both metagames and pretty much be broken. The key to a good metagame is to make sure things are balanced so no single pokemon gets a chance to screw the whole metagame.

i see what ya mean Synchronize... i know what your saying, the thinkg about that is, i don't have a real startegy for my list, my lists are made to throw off my opponents strategies... i give moves that my opponent won't expect... my best example is i game my dark type, i give them a psychic type attack to protect agaisnt fighters... if my pokemon has a weakness, you can be sure that i will have a counter messuare up my sleeve with out having to swap out, well that and suprises like the fact that my Muk is faster then most elctric types of 5+ his lvl... but for this list, i want to use the Pokèmon that you don't really ever see in use... just for a change of pace...

ChrisG14

I'm back baby!
    Years
  • I think Azumarrill is very underused. It has some good defense, and with Huge Attack, it's attack is doubled. I used it alot in the Battle Frontier until I erased my game.

Ice demon

All purpose cleaner ^^
    Years
  • =S
    this thread is..odd.It'd seem that ur asking us for UU/BL pokemon, which really is a grand waste of time.You might as well just go to smogon and read their tier list.
    One thing though, any discussion on under used or underrrated pokemon begs the question-
    What exactly are your criteria for a pokemon to be UU/underrated?
    usage or power or both?

Clarify that, and then i guess this thread may go somewhere.
    Btw marowak = OU/BL.

it_landry

Trainer of Water
    Years
  • =S
    this thread is..odd.It'd seem that ur asking us for UU/BL pokemon, which really is a grand waste of time.You might as well just go to smogon and read their tier list.
    One thing though, any discussion on under used or underrrated pokemon begs the question-
    What exactly are your criteria for a pokemon to be UU/underrated?
    usage or power or both?

Clarify that, and then i guess this thread may go somewhere.
    Btw marowak = OU/BL.

hehehe... yeah, i thought i said it straight forward.... guess i was wrong... i want to know which pokemon is commonly NOT used in teams, i want ideas for possible pokemon for a new list...

Arsibiyez

Volbeat. Beat. Beat. Vol. Vol.
    Years
  • Well, actually, it is quite common for Pokes of a certain type to have a move that covers its weakness(es). An example of which is that dark Poke you mentioned. Though not always the case, battlers will have a move that hurts its weak-type, making it all the more versatile.

Example... The ever-popular OU Dugtrio. HP [Bug] will most likely be in its moveset since it works well against grass-types that it is weak against. Also, since Duggy is popular for going against OU Celebi who has a double-weak to Bug-type attacks.

Sacrificing STAB for versatility. It's a tactic that a lot of people will resort to for surprising and sneaky damage-doing. So it's not as unexpected as you might think.

Here's a fun example:

Slowking
    - Earthquake (against electric)
    - Fire Blast (against grass)
    - Brick Break (against dark)
    - Psychic / Surf (STAB, obviously.)

Refrain from using Ground- and Fighting-type moves in a single moveset as they are strong against similiar types (excluding Dark and Electric), but this is just an example, so it's okay.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • Well, actually, it is quite common for Pokes of a certain type to have a move that covers its weakness(es). An example of which is that dark Poke you mentioned. Though not always the case, battlers will have a move that hurts its weak-type, making it all the more versatile.

Example... The ever-popular OU Dugtrio. HP [Bug] will most likely be in its moveset since it works well against grass-types that it is weak against. Also, since Duggy is popular for going against OU Celebi who has a double-weak to Bug-type attacks.

Sacrificing STAB for versatility. It's a tactic that a lot of people will resort to for surprising and sneaky damage-doing. So it's not as unexpected as you might think.

Here's a fun example:

Slowking
    - Earthquake (against electric)
    - Fire Blast (against grass)
    - Brick Break (against dark)
    - Psychic / Surf (STAB, obviously.)

Refrain from using Ground- and Fighting-type moves in a single moveset as they are strong against similiar types (excluding Dark and Electric), but this is just an example, so it's okay.

That example sucks, actually. A STAB Surf from Slowking will do practically the same amount of damage against both Dark and Electric type pokes as an EQ or Brick Break will. Meanwhile you're splitting up attacks between physical and special (Thus causing a nasty division in EVs which isn't good for you) and completely neglecting Slowking's potential as a wall. Calm Mind, Thunder Wave, and Rest are all better options here than EQ and Brick Break. Also, Ice Beam is far more useful as a Grass type counter, and it handles dragon and flying types to boot. :O Fire attacks are there to counter steel.

Also, psychic attacks on non-psychic pokémon practically never pay off. All the Dark pokes that can learn psychic attacks (That would basically be Umbreon, Murkrow, Shiftry, and Absol) have no use for them as three (Umbreon, Absol, and Murkrow) lack the SAtk to make use of special moves and the last one, Shiftry, either goes sunnybeaming (In which case STAB Solarbeam and sunshine-boosted Hidden Power [Fire] are far more useful attacks, dealing nearly as much damage to psychic weaks and much more to all the types that Psychic can't touch) or goes with a mixed arsenal (In which moves like Explosion and Shadow Ball are far more valuable). Super effective doesn't automatically mean that it's a good idea, you know. -.-

Last edited:

Synchronize

Donphan: My Fourth Love
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Oct 5, 2008
    I saw that you mentioned how often certain pokemon were used again. I really must stress that there is flaw in this, as you really can't tell how often a pokemon is really used. You'd have to take a huge world-wide poll to actually determine that, since you only battle a handful of people at a time. And what purpose would a tier serve to "throw off and opponent's strategy?" Making Alakazam UU because you might not see it used too often would throw off anyone's Strategy in the UU metagame, but in the end you'll just have people wanting it banned from that metagame. The same thing happened to Houndoom which is why it was moved up tp the Borderline tier, since barely iny pokemon could switch safely into it.

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    I saw that you mentioned how often certain pokemon were used again. I really must stress that there is flaw in this, as you really can't tell how often a pokemon is really used. You'd have to take a huge world-wide poll to actually determine that, since you only battle a handful of people at a time. And what purpose would a tier serve to "throw off and opponent's strategy?" Making Alakazam UU because you might not see it used too often would throw off anyone's Strategy in the UU metagame, but in the end you'll just have people wanting it banned from that metagame. The same thing happened to Houndoom which is why it was moved up tp the Borderline tier, since barely iny pokemon could switch safely into it.

So what you're saying is that this conversation is pointless to continue.

And nightlight, Slowbro sucks.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • So what you're saying is that this conversation is pointless to continue.

And nightlight, Slowbro sucks.

A pokémon with a base HP of 90, a base Defense of 110, a base SAtk of 100, and decent SDef which also has access to two STAB special moves and Calm Mind does most certainly not suck. There's a reason why Slowbro is considered a BL pokémon. With the right EVs and a few CMs under its belt it can wall virtually anything (CBed Bug attacks are a possible exception) and dish out large amounts of damage to boot. If you had ever faced a proper UU team with Slowbro on it you'd know better than to call it weak. But of course, you didn't know about Marowak's power either, so I assume that you haven't had a competitive battle in your life.

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    Yes, and I assume you spend all day just walking around asking people to battle you with a UU team

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    hm...

Congratulations peabobo! You have failed to make one good suggestion
    You are a confused person.

Back