• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen What'd you name your rival?

Limey-chan

Batzu
Years
  • On Gold i've just named him Mo which if the English to Japanese dictionary I found was correct roughly means bad/evil in Japanese. If it's wrong, Mo is still a cool name for a rival.

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
    Years
  • When I played when I was younger I gave him swear names or dirty names because it was funny to me. Now I name him whatever because I'm a mature young adult (Complete and total lie)

Ryuzaki_Lawliet

Arctic Fox Lover =3
    Years
  • On my current game of Yellow i was actually watching Death Note too much and named him Kira... which in japanese means 'killer'. I have a killer for a rival! It's so funny whenever someone in the game brings his name up... I roll on the floor laguhing. On crystal I named him Crystal, just because I didn't want to actually think of anything.

Mankey

The Delightful Nutcase
    Years
  • On my first Crystal (I was 8 or so) I named him Gary, like in the cartoon.

On my most recent, my middle name, George.

Years
  • My first playthrough on Pokemon Red I was Ash, and my Rival was Gary...yay for creativity?

My second time I was Matt and my Rival was Kevin, on Yellow we were Ash and Gary again....

My most recent playthrough, the trainer is Holden, and my Rival is Marc.

Sackferth

Fonetics Phanatic
    Years
  • I've been naming mine Vampiro recently.

There is this kid in my school that looks like a vampire (without trying as far as I know)
    So we call him Vampire (creative I know)
    and every once in a while he will look slightly different, so we say it's his twin brother Vampiro.

Scales

Man of Infinite Jest
    Years
  • Red: Gary (After watching the Anime I always imagined the Rival like Gary. I can never imagine him with any other name since it suits him perfectly.)

Crystal: I normally name him Jack or Robert. For no reason

Years
  • When i first got gold i named him ??? for obvious reasons. after my first reset i named him after a friend as he did the same with me.

Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    Well...

Yellow: Gary (uncreativeee)
    Blue: ShutUp (it was funny when Oak was like "zomg be quiet, shut up!" or "shut up! you'll get yours later")

Gold: Silver (for obvious reasons)
    LeafGreen: Sam (my brother's name)

Diamond: Geaney (ex-friend at school)
    Platinum: Jared (my rival :D)

Sloofish

★Cannibal Psycho Soft For Pkmn
    Years
  • I named mine Lysman after Lysander (Lysander's too long a name) who was the ego maniac bully that used to beat up on kids when me and my friends were little. We were the only kids to actually pull pranks on HIM and ignore his attempts at aggravating us.

XD I thought the rival in Pokémon was a bit too much like him so that's his name now. And most my team are named after my friends so. =D

Maelstromk

The Dead Philospher
    Years
  • well it depends on how old I was but to my memory
    Red/Blue-Flame (My name was Vine soooo)
    Gold/Silver-Cory
    later in my days
    Red/Blue-Yfliox
    Gold/Silver-Edward (after my hatred for that cullen vampire like apperatus)

Moemii

Thunder
    Years
  • LOL. I named him "???" because I thought you were supposed to...because that's what his name was...

Back