• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

whats all of this talk about shiny pokemon?

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 7, 2009
    Im fairly new to pokemon pearl, and im always hearing about shiny pokemon. What is this exactally and how would i get them in the game?

Missingno.7-4468

The Kazuka Party is for curry!
    Years
  • A shiny Pokemon is a very rare Pokemon that simply has a different color scheme. There is a 1/8192 chance that you'll get one randomly in tall grass. A good example of a shiny Pokemon is that a Turwig is more of a bluish green when it is a shiny, or how Kricketot becomes a golden color. They aren't any more powerful or anything than normal Pokemon, but their rarity makes people want it.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 7, 2009
    ok, so theres no special way of obtaining them other than randomly coming across them in the game?

ChronicEdge

Space Lion
    Years
  • Well, you can also breed to get them, but you have the same odds of obtaining a Shiny from an egg as you do seeing it in the Grass.

If you ever, ever, ever, EVER encounter a Pokemon of an unusual color, or a Pokemon that you see stars shoot out of, CATCH IT, IT'S SHINY.

Duh.

Also, if you don't know what the term "EV Training" means, then you probably shouldn't train the Shiny until you learn about EV's.

That's about it. Shiny Pokemon are no more powerful than their normal counterparts, but a few look cooler, and you can usually trade them for something pretty good.

One last thing: Always make sure you have Pokeballs. I've caught one Shiny in my life. It was a Wurmple that just popped up in Eterna Forest. I had TWO Pokeballs left. Fortunately, I was able to catch it, but it was a rather close call, and pretty scary.

Hope I've helped.

Cyclone Dragon

Dragon & Video Game Fanatic
    Years
  • I found a video on youtube that explains how you can get them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wuh9_Gi8PI (I would post the video here , but i dont know how to XD) U have to use your pokeradar, and keep up a "chain" until you get a shiny patch of grass. I have two shiny pokemon in my trainer card, in my sig, see how my absol and lucario are different from their orginal color? The video explains it very well, check it out :D

Edit: Also when a shiny pokemon enters a battle, it has a sparkle.

Ayselipera

If you would like to look at every pokemon's shiny sprite go to the link below. Click what type of pokemon you want to look at and then click the pokemon you want. There will be a picture of the pokemon in its normal color and then shiny color.

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/flying.shtml

Back