• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's Happened To Pokemon?

youngotaku

Collecter of Mews
Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Feb 23, 2006
    I'm not sure if this topic has been done before, But, Whats happened to pokemon? Before, pokemon was the"in" thing. everybody loved it. now, kids are ashamed to bring pokemon stuff to school, and the anime is starting to decline(the movies anyway, from now on they are making them only on vhs and dvd). This is the case where i live anyway. :( Was it Yu-Gi Oh? Was it a lack of action bewtween g/s and r/s? I wonder what....

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
  • Simply the passage of time is wearing away at its popularity...as with all things, pokemon has flourished as long as it's going to flourish and now it must take its place on the back-burner of popularity. It's still popular by many standards if you ask me, but it is no longer a craze. The aftermath of the craze, which peaked about 2001, is a widespread fanbase which will be devoted to the series, games, etc. until it all ends (which will likely not be soon...I still see young children who are very much into pokemon.) No one factor can be blamed for the decline in the popularity of pokemon. The anime is actually rebounding from a decline (new area, no more filler episodes) actually...and pokemon was actually never the "in" thing...people were always ashamed to bring pokemon stuff to school (it has always made us a target for persecution.) Things are basically as they've always been, except toned down somewhat. The toys and advertisements and promotions aren't in our face anymore, that's all...and of course some people have outgrown it, but the popularity isn't all that much diminished. I'd have to say there's nothing to worry about...pokemon still has a long future ahead of it, just one less widespread.

ScArLetSkye

Miss Understood. o.X
    Years
  • Chairman Kaga said:
    Simply the passage of time is wearing away at its popularity...as with all things, pokemon has flourished as long as it's going to flourish and now it must take its place on the back-burner of popularity. It's still popular by many standards if you ask me, but it is no longer a craze. The aftermath of the craze, which peaked about 2001, is a widespread fanbase which will be devoted to the series, games, etc. until it all ends (which will likely not be soon...I still see young children who are very much into pokemon.) No one factor can be blamed for the decline in the popularity of pokemon. The anime is actually rebounding from a decline (new area, no more filler episodes) actually...and pokemon was actually never the "in" thing...people were always ashamed to bring pokemon stuff to school (it has always made us a target for persecution.) Things are basically as they've always been, except toned down somewhat. The toys and advertisements and promotions aren't in our face anymore, that's all...and of course some people have outgrown it, but the popularity isn't all that much diminished. I'd have to say there's nothing to worry about...pokemon still has a long future ahead of it, just one less widespread.

Yep!I guess that's what is happening.

Iveechan

based on a paperclip
    Years
  • Skye, stop spamming. If you want to contribute, then use your own thoughts, not just "I don't know" or "I agree!"

I feel that Pokemon is strongest as an underground thing, that is, the forums and fansites. Some folks would rather not be open with their interests, especially with Pokemon because of the childish stigma.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • like Iveechan basically said, many simple-minded people just hear the word "pok?mon" and automatically assume it to be a childish game. The basic concepts of the Pok?mon games (i.e. RPG and battle-strategy) are still highly popular among devoted gamers, but in darker forms.

Inversely, there are still many people who like it, us for example. These people should not be ashamed just because the majority of the conformees (don't know if that's a real word...the person a conformer conforms to) don't care too much for the game...

Dizzy

My Father is a Baron!
    Years
  • I ate it! :laugh:

Actually I don't know. It's decline was to happen though, even though every few years they have a promotion and crap. Pokemon will never be as big as it was. Period.

perthskies

Nostalgic
    Years
  • It's just like the circle of life... and everything has an expiry date... new things will eventually become old...

But some classics will never die.

Pokemon in this case... the TV Series is getting tedious... I think that when most people think of Pokemon they automatically presume the TV Series...

Lucifer.

Custom'D
    Years
  • The hype has died down, but the franchise still has loads of fans. Take Mario for example: back when it was released everyone was mad for it. I don't think there's an item in existence that hasn't had a Mario makeover at some point.

Now, the hype is no more. But Mario still has just as many fans, if not more. Same goes for Pokemon.

Moonlit_Angel

EVIL Queen of Darkness
    Years
  • Yeah, I mean, look at all of us! This site is loaded with fans! Pokemon just is hidden in public, I really don't know what happened to it myself. I think, since mostly everyone is obsessed with "being cool," and "fads" that they got out of it simply for that reason. I call them low-lives.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Ya but this is nopthing compared to the fans that use to be in it...but you know americans they like something one year and the next they hate it.

jynx

Er.../eh...
    Years
  • I don't think its anything to do with Yu-Gi-Oh...coz in Hong Kong, Pokemon is more popular than Yu-Gi-Oh is.

The decline...is because of the bad translations of WB and cartoon network!
    I advise Nintendo to change company for USA!!!

Evil Togepi

Yu-Gi-Oh GX owns my SOUL!
    Years
  • Yes unfortunatly fads come and go, it happens to everything eventually, but Pok?mon is far from being dead, there are still a LOT of fans who never "grew out of it" like most kids did, some kids are only just getting into it and other's like me, pretty much got into it when I was bordering on being an adult. Now I'm almost 21 and I love the show more than ever, I had my times when I wasn't as intrested in the show and I was intrested in other things but Pok?mon still intrests me, the storylines are quite repeditive which can lose a lot of intrest but to me each story is intresting to a point and different in a way...
    ...it's a shame they seem to be thinning out Pok?mon a bit due to it's fanbase not being as noticably big as it was a few years ago, and it really isn't fair on the still large amount of fans there are left but it's the way it goes, one fad leaves and another one takes over and it's no fair to blame it on things such as Yu-Gi-Oh....it's the way of the world...

But we should at least be happy the series is still being shown and dubbed and movies ARE still being released even if it IS only straight to DVD and VHS ^_^

jynx

Er.../eh...
    Years
  • Only those who follow trends would grow out of Pokemon, because they started to play because everyone does, means that they didn't really like Pokemon.

But I do think that the translation of Adavanced Generation is really bad! Since Johto Journeys! WHo on Earth translated it?

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    umm you know nintendo has nothing to do with the aniem right? That's toei and tokyo tv ythat have power over it and compared to the other dubbers for kids for 4kids does a good job.

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2004
    I personally dont care if pokemon is "uncool" or "geeky" as they said when I was in middle school. now they say things I wont repeat on this forum, but I dont give a crap. I have so much pokemon stuff on my backpack, I play pokemon in lunch and my friend and I role play of it when we're in a group (yeah we should be working oh well) but its so fun. My mum thinks I'm strange though, so I use all these excuses to buy some pokemon stuff. like I say I wanna buy a CD so she brings me to newbury comics and I buy some pokemon cards. or I say I have a school project so she brings me to fiskes and I buy clay for the "Project" when I really use it to make badges *blushes*

Anyway my point is, even when pokemon is gone and the thought of it is just... well anyway, there will always be people like me and many of you who will like it forever

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Ya same with the beyblade anime it's gone but people still love the game and show...i hide the fact that i like pokemon...

Pogiforce-14

EV/IV Trainer
    Years
  • I've seen it coming steadily back since it took a slightly darker appeal. Also I think the big changein clothes and style has made a difference. I've actually seen Pokemon Advanced toys back on the shleves here and their.

Back