• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's more important, a good moveset or a higher level?

Nineray

Green Okido
Years
  • Me and my sister were having this discussion and i believe that having a good moveset is more important than having a high level however she thinks the moveset is more important. What do you think is more important?

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
  • Well, I suppose it depends on a few things, such as how much of a level gap there is, and the Pokémon it self, but in the end I would half to say the move set is more important.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • It depends. If you're roughly at the same level as the opponent, a good moveset matters because you'll never know when you'll get walled by something.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
  • Moveset, imo. I feel that you can be level 100 and if you don't have a decent move pool you're screwed.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    That seems rather unlikely. Level 100 has high stats, one tackle from a level 100 to a level 1 would squash him or her.

Look up F.E.A.R strategy and B/W's Sturdy Abuse. It is in fact quite possible to beat a team of 100's with level 1's. More so thanks to Sturdy now. There are a lot of videos on Youtube.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    In the in-game storyline, level > moveset. Or, at least, when I was little I know my movesets were dreadful messes, but with even a slight level advantage it didn't really matter. The Pokemon games really aren't designed to be that difficult or strategic. You can plow through them on raw power and do just fine.

In competitive or online play, or the Battle Tower / Frontier / Subway, level is obsolete. Most typical wifi battles equalize the levels of all Pokemon, to ensure there is no level advantage. It's all based on stats and moveset strategies.

Over all though, when level difference is a factor, level is probably almost always going to be more important? I mean, when it's just a difference of three or four levels it's no big deal, but higher level Pokemon have higher stats, and a solid moveset is worthless without the stats to back it up.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Levels mean nothing. I just blew away the E4 in Yellow and I was 10+ levels under as I went on through it lmao. Though even saying that, you need good stats to pull off the good movesets really. Though I usually go for both. I'm normally over level and I like having good balanced movesets with a lot of coverage.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2017
    i would say that a moveset is was better because ive beaten almost all of my gyms with lower levels.

Years
  • It really depends where you are in-game. My Electabuzz had 3 electric type attacking moves when I plowed through the E4 on similar levels (I think Electabuzz was one or two levels behind Cynthia's Garchomp). But I would have very much preferred to have an ice punch or something handy.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    The importance of level and moveset are inversely proportional. As the level difference increases, superior moves become less important for the higher-levelled party and more important for the lower.

F.E.A.R strategy and B/W's Sturdy Abuse
    These involve an item and an ability respectively and are thus not entirely relevant to this thread's specific question.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    Look up F.E.A.R strategy and B/W's Sturdy Abuse. It is in fact quite possible to beat a team of 100's with level 1's. More so thanks to Sturdy now. There are a lot of videos on Youtube.

That kind of strategy only works on vastly inexperienced trainers.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2017
    A level one pokemon can defeat a level 100 pokemon depending on the moveset. Maybe you might consider a level 100 Magikarp with the move set 'Spash' only and an Arceus at level 1 with a stunning moveset (Judgment, Rain Dance, Recover, Thunder). Get the picture?

Anyways, movesets are what determine the battle. Just the other day i beat my friend's Rayquaza with my level 87 Latios. Latios was faster and i KO'ed it in one hit with Blizzard.

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2016
    In game I think levels, if your level 100 then you pretty much have it easy for the elite 4

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    It doesn't what level you are and still have splash or leer on your moveset, you're only going to do anything to the enemy. Levels do help though, not on the same league of a moveset.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    That kind of strategy only works on vastly inexperienced trainers.
    No, you're wrong. The strategy can work, and quite easily too, on experienced players. What makes them ineffective however is weather and entry hazards.

On-topic, and this is purely in-game. I would've said level but I remembered how much easier Soul Silver was when I traded in a newly bred Totodile with Dragon Dance from Diamond and gave a Slowpoke a calm mind set. Didn't even bother leveling up against wild Pokemon.
    So, moveset.

Years
  • I think stats would play a big part of it tbh but in answer to your question, moveset :)

If your opponent is a few levels higher than you but you have an advantage over them move-wise, it's more probable that you'll triumph :)

Back