• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's the longest word you can spell off the top of your head?

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, of it you want a real one: Antidisestablishmentarianism.
    I just typed the former into Google to see if it would be correct, never having given the word throught before, and there we go... I know the routines of English too well.
    So anyway, it gave me the idea of this thread.

Now it's your turn, and be honest or else we'll have a thread full of antidisestablishmentarianists (although we might anyway...). Can be any language with the forum rules permitting (id est no obscene words; I've never seen an English-only rule) so feel free...
    Oh and turn your browser's spellcheck off if applicable.

Staff: This isn't poll, nor a chat topic, nor really intended as a game, but if it this thread needs to be removed or deleted, then yeah.

Years
  • I know pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis but it's not really that impressive, it's just a bunch of words strung together (pneumono-ultra-microscopic-silico-volcano-coniosis), and if you just remember the structure of the word anyone can remember it. Apparently there are longer words in Greek. And in like chemical formulae, but either of them don't really count.

Lucar10

Record for Longest Hiatus
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2015
    ok... dunno how to top that 1 but i no 1 with lots of syllables...

gastro-entomologist and
    gastro-entomology

and there you have it 2 words with 7 syllables

i also no palindromes that can be spelt backwards
    level
    kayak
    racecar

and words that dont rhyme
    orange
    silver
    purple

Medli

I am Error.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2010
    Oddly enough, I've never seen Mary Poppins. Yet, I spelled "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" correctly on my first try. Does that count as a word?

I can also spell "antidisestablishmentarianism." Spelling is really not that hard for me. It comes pretty naturally. I could probably learn other really long words if I put my mind to it. I remember the first really long word I tried spelling. That was in 7th grade and we learned what "triskaidekaphobia" meant.

Isn't there a phobia of long words? I'm pretty sure that's a long word as well. I'll try to learn to spell it.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Well, I found the chemical name for titin, but it wouldn't fit on one post. In distant third (or so states wikipedia), the longest word I could actually spell, or bother to spell: Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis. That's been mentioned already, though.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
  • Uhhh...
    I don't remember. @_@
    I know:

Antidisestablishmentarianism
    Floccinaucinihilipilification
    Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

None of those are really that great, I know. But I guess for me it's pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis, although somehow I remember there being a bigger one I knew.

Oh well, floccinaucinihilipilification is the most interesting one. :P

EDIT:

The longest word I know is hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia.

I thought I was hot stuff back in middle school for being able to spell it.
    Now I just realize I was being a total nerd.
    Oh! that's it. xD Same, same. I like spelling though. nwn

Last edited:

Blazey~

Summer heat all year
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    The longest word I know is hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia.

I thought I was hot stuff back in middle school for being able to spell it.
    Now I just realize I was being a total nerd.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Basically, anything I can remember to pronounce I can spell...
    If I don't bother to pronounce it, I probably don't know how to spell it...

hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia

Charliezard

A wild shroomish appeared!
    Years
  • Alphabet, the top of my head sorta sucks...Wait, is Elephant longer? I can't tell just by glancing and counting letter by letter is a pain with double vision xD

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • probably yeah sad thing enough it is supercalifragilisticexpialidocious =/

Calder

Gamertag: LycaNinja
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2011
    Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis four words happy

Years
  • Oberweserdampfschiffartsgesellschaftskapitän. The result of the fact that word-compounding has no borders in German.
    The word means: A Captain that works for a river (the headwater of the river Weser in this case, but I think there are variations) navigation company. At least I think so.

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • Lopadotemachoselachogaleokranioleipsanodrimhypotrimmatosilphioparaomelitokatakechymenokichlepikossyphophattoperisteralektryonoptekephalliokigklopeleiolagoiosiraiobaphetraganopterygon

or, in first;

the chemical name for titin, although, I cannot spell it, and it is desputed whether it is actually a word.

Cold Fusion

When you laugh, you gain luck.
    Years
  • Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious...

an English word (Maybe slightly obvious?), with 34 letters, that was in the song with the same title in the Disney musical film Mary Poppins.

Lana.

*spin*
    Years
  • Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

And, no, I can't think of a better word that is actually in the dictionary. =P

Back