• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's the point of it Nintendo?

EmpoleMew

Lunatic Lunar Rabbit
Years
  • Okay, just want to bring this up. Ever since the Pokemon games were made, there was a programed way to get a legendary Pokemon one way or the other. (Yes, Mew Glitch counts.) They go through the trouble of making all of these in-game events for a legendary Pokemon and then what do they do? They seal them off. Unreachable through normal gameplay and then months after the game's release, they give away a live event. Their marketing slogan is (or at least used to be) "Gotta Catch 'em All!". Yet they program a way to catch a legendary Pokemon and don't let you do it. And it seems to be more in the translated releases than in the Japanese versions. For those who don't know what these events are, (have you been living under a rock?) I've listed them.

~G/S/C Series~

#251 Seribii/Celebii
    In Japan, it could be obtained by doing the Mystery Gift link with a cell phone giving you the GS Ball. In the translated versions, this is non-existant and is still in the game's coding. (The Teru-Sama Glitch) This was Crystal only.

~FireRed, Leafgreen, and Emerald~

#249 and 250 Rugia/Lugia and Houou/Ho-oh
    In Japan, the GBA e-Reader scanned the item Mystic Ticket which took you to Navel Rock. The e-Reader was claimed to not be as popular in the US and the event was never given. It exists however, in the Mystery Gift coding of the games. They were made obtainable in the GameCube installments of Pokemon.

#386 Deokishishu/Deoxys
    Another e-Reader event, giving the Aurora Ticket. Granted access to Birth Island. Removed for the same reasons above. Was given away as an event for D/P.

#151 Myuu/Mew
    The last e-Reader event. Removed for the same reasons. Emerald exclusive event. Was given away as a promotion to the movie Pokemon: Lucario and the Mystery of Mew.

~Diamond and Pearl~

#491 Darkrai
    A Mystery Gift event that was never released. Was given in Japan at the movie, Diaruga vs, Parukia vs, Darkrai. No known release date in any other locations.

#492 Sheimi/Shaymin
    Second event that was never released. All known Shaymin in existance are hacked either through cheats or glitch. Will most likely be givin at eleventh movie.

#493 Aruseus(Aruseusu?)/Arceus
    Final event. All hacked through same method of Shaymin. No specified release date. Must never see Wi-Fi.

So the question at hand is this. Why would they go through the trouble of putting all of this data to catch these Pokemon if they won't let anyone do so? Discuss.

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
  • #491 Darkrai
    A Mystery Gift event that was never released. Was given in Japan at the movie, Diaruga vs, Parukia vs, Darkrai. No known release date in any other locations.

So the question at hand is this. Why would they go through the trouble of putting all of this data to catch these Pokemon if they won't let anyone do so? Discuss.

Darkrai was initially meant to be gotten by staying overnight at the Inn after receiving the Members Card and then travelling to its island. That all changed when they decided to release it at the movie.

Which leads me to think that, they put the coding in for their original ideas before the game was released on how we should be getting the Pokemon (i.e. going to catch it ourselves) but after the release, decided that it'd be better off promoting it another way and changed the event.

Years
  • Yeah, I hate event Pokemon with a passion... now I'll never get my Shaymin... :(

No wonder my strategy guide on "every pokemon" didn't include the last three...

EmpoleMew

Lunatic Lunar Rabbit
    Years
  • That's why almost everyone is tempted to cheat. And 95% of the time, they give in. I have Shaymin and Celebii in my box because Nintendo doesn't like us.:( I'm waiting to see if they release Movie Darkrai in the US. I would have loved trying to catch it though. Soft resetting for weeks on end. Yep. Beautiful. I also would have loved to catch Arceus on my first try and say "What was that? That was the Pokemon god? One try." Search YouTube, someone did it. Maybe if they do make a fith generation, all of these events won't be removed. There's no fun in it. I'd love to see me do that event I dreamed of for real.

Myoko-chan

アーシェ
    Years
  • They do let SOME people do so.

Personally, I just think events are to gain more popularity for the games in that certain area.

Even though I don't like cheating, it would be very stupid to travel a long way for a bunch of pixelated creatures in a video game. Really, an AR just costs like 30$.

- Sigma -

Bam!
    Years
  • You're right. Their slogan is "Gotta catch 'em all!" yet you cannot catch 6 Pokemon. That's sad, and we all realize that it is just for them to get a profit. And I wouldn't pay that money just to get a legendary Pokemon, which is banned from Contests, and can't battle on WiFi. I think it's obnoxious, but that's the marketing world, eh?

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    Marketability is really the only reason that I can see for them to do this. I mean, if I recall correctly, Nintendo always releases events in the United States around the time that the latest wave of the Pokemon craze has quieted. FireRed and LeafGreen were out for a while before the Celebi event rolled around.

Take a look at the recent Manaphy event. D/P were out for a while before Manaphy was announced to be released. And at the same time, Jakk's Toys have brand new merchandise and the TFG to push.

It's all just marketing strategies. Nintendo, PUSA, and the other companies with their hands on the Pokemon cash cow make enough money from these events that they're not going to stop releasing them. People spend the money at these events.

So yeah, you can use AR to get your Darkrai. But Nintendo doesn't really care about the few losses they get that way. They more than make up for it with the people who can make it to the events.

And actually, -Sigma-, you don't pay money to get into the events. If you show up and just download the Pokemon, you don't have to spend a time. But most of the people at the events, at least at the ones I've been to, are the screaming kids who want the latest toy. And like I said, that's how the money is made.

Lady Nicole

hello o.o
    Years
  • Back in first generation, Mew wasn't originally meant to "part" of the full set of pokemon; it was supposed to be just a mystery. That's how it started but after that I guess Nintendo grew to like the idea of unobtainable pokemon and started creating them obsessively :\

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    I hate event Pokemon. I want to complete the game and everything, but its just a game. I don't want to have to travel the world to get a tiny bit of data on my game.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • I hate event Pokemon, I have to ask a friend to go and get it for me, I dont want to travel even though Pokemon events are in NYC and I live there and I don't want to go. So I'll keep hacking to get all of the Pokemon

:t354:TG

Lady Nicole

hello o.o
    Years
  • I like Event pokemon. I think it would be far more boring without them. But I don't think it's quite neccessary to go OTT with it, you know? I don't think there's any need for event Pikachu and Octillery, etc.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    I don't think they're supposed to be called event Pokemon though. I think the more appropriate name is Gimmick Pokemon.

What can I say? Worst thing to do... beats out everything except the end of La-Mulana's Hell Temple in gimmicks (sorry, but the games haven't made me cry... yet)... yeah.

Back