• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's the stupidest thing you've ever seen someone get offended by? 8)

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I don't really have any singular stories. I'm someone who only really gets offended by two things. So because of that, and because of my no big deal attitude towards a lot of things, I have a pretty low tolerance for people getting offended. And nothing makes me roll my eyes more than someone getting offended on behalf of someone else, or a group of people.

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
    I knew some one who got really offended if you mentioned just the fact that you needed a cigarette or wanted to smoke one lol

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
    Years
    Someone once got mad and said that I was "un-American" after they overheard me say that I don't currently own a gun. (-_- Texas)

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
    I once saw this woman flag down another vehicle on a country road and start yelling at the family inside for killing the planet because they weren't driving a Prius. What?!?

If it's something I've done to someone else, we had this substitute teacher who hated cheese. If you said the word "cheese", she would send you to the principles office. So, when the ball rang, our entire class just naturally exclaimed, "Cheese!" all at the same time. It was completely accidental, I swear. :P

Outlier

What's the stupidest thing you've ever seen someone get offended by? 8)

This meme sums up how I feel about most people who claim to be offended about something. Especially when it comes to comedy and people dictating what is and isn't acceptable to joke about.

I'm going to preface this by saying that I'm not against feminism in any way but that being said I think that a lot of people who identify themselves as feminists become very hysterical and overreact to a lot of things. It might just be a vocal minority that I'm talking about but I can only go by my own observations and personal experiences.

I remember watching a video a few years ago of a woman scorning a guy who had asked her out. Apparently the fact that this man had asked her if she would like to go for coffee was grounds to label him a misogynist and publicly shame him. He had only asked her out the one time, it wasn't like she said no and he kept persisting and harassing her. Still it was sexual harassment in her eyes. This was part of my reasoning for creating that thread on flirting and asking what is and isn't appropriate in everyone's opinion.

There was an incident with Laci Green, a well known feminist on youtube and tumblr. She had received many death threats and hate mail for using the term "tranny" in one of her older videos. Laci didn't say anything derogatory about transsexuals, and even if she had done so there is still no excuse for all of the vulgar hate mail and death threats that she received. Which included people telling her that they knew where she lived and even stating her address as well as threatening to kill her. Hypersensitive politically correct nonsense.

I was watching a Rev3Games livestream a few months ago which usually has fans from around the world participate and watch via skype. There was a feminist who complained about how misogynist GTA V was. She managed to voice her opinion in a calm and rational manner unlike my previous examples. She was deeply offended by the fact that you could bring strippers home and have sex with them. She said that it was this aspect of GTA that made her stop playing altogether. However she didn't seem to have any problems with the fact that the protagonists kill hundreds of people, or the many racially insensitive (none of which bothered me but I noticed them) elements of the game. Which to me just reaffirms my belief that what is and isn't offensive is completely personal and selective, therefore you really shouldn't push your own moral outrage on others.

Again these are just a few examples and don't necessarily represent feminism/feminists as a whole.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    People getting angry over Native Americans getting their "brown" money from their own tribes.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
    Getting offered a points card and a promotion at the checkout till.. >_> I mean.. really? It's company policy to include everyone. Why are you offended by being offered something nice?

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    People who get offended by how I talk to my disabled friends. You see, teasing your friends is actually normal but apparently if they're disabled its not allowed because disabiwity. I wouldn't do it if it made them feel bad and they tease me too. You know, because that's what friends do. Technically I'm disabled too, so... uh... yeah? Also I'm the one actually spending time with them, not you, goody two-shoes, and I'm also not contributing to the massive problem of "treating them all the same because they have a disability" so why don't you just shut the **** up.

:)

Oh, and people getting offended because you don't like anime. I know one person irl who literally flips her **** every time I say the forbidden words, "I don't like anime".

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    Something I've always thought was dumb was when people get offended when you say "Happy Holidays" instead of Merry Christmas. Like somehow you're trying to destroy Christmas or something. If I don't know whether or not someone celebrates Christmas, then I'll say Happy Holidays. If I know that someone celebrates Christmas, then I'll say Merry Christmas.

It's like if I don't know that someone's name, then I'll say "hi". I'm not going to say "hi Steve" because I don't know that the guy's name is Steve. Does that mean that I'm out to destroy Steve? No, I'm just not assuming that everyone is named Steve.

Next time someone gets offended by Happy Holiday, then I'll just say "Okay, if you're offended by that, then how about Happy Shut The F*** Up!"

Hatsune Mika

FireRed Nuzlocke
    Years
    Something I've always thought was dumb was when people get offended when you say "Happy Holidays" instead of Merry Christmas. Like somehow you're trying to destroy Christmas or something. If I don't know whether or not someone celebrates Christmas, then I'll say Happy Holidays. If I know that someone celebrates Christmas, then I'll say Merry Christmas.

It's like if I don't know that someone's name, then I'll say "hi". I'm not going to say "hi Steve" because I don't know that the guy's name is Steve. Does that mean that I'm out to destroy Steve? No, I'm just not assuming that everyone is named Steve.

Next time someone gets offended by Happy Holiday, then I'll just say "Okay, if you're offended by that, then how about Happy Shut The F*** Up!"

Happy quanza :3 or happy hannaka (don't know how to spell them...)

pompayyy

Forever and Ever
    Years
    It's awful when I have a non-religious friend who is hurt (or family is hurt), and I say "God bless your soul", and they be a complete prick and say "I don't believe in god, that meant nothing to me."

I called upon the highest power I believe in, and ask for it to protect you. And you just won't accept my gratitude because your religion is different.

(btw, I have nothing wrong with atheists. Just the idiot ones)

Crux

Evermore
    Years
    When people get offended when I hold a door for them.
    Well, sorry that I didn't slam the door in your face like some uncouth douchebag, and hurt your sense of independence. Next time I'll make sure to just ignore any manners.

S. M. H.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Bands....bands...bands everywhere.

People who get offended when someone criticize their favorite artist/bands.

They need to understand that criticizing their artist won't make them worse/better.

Yes definitely! One Direction and Taylor Swift fanboys and fangirls who try to force their band down your throat is ridiculous! Um, when people get offended for playing Mature games. It's not the game that are corrupting society, it's the way people act irl. The games can actually serve as a great escape for a short time.

Star-Lord

withdrawl .
    Years
    I think it's really funny when someone gets offended over an obviously joking your mom joke. The whole entire situation makes me question the human race.

My mom is dead rofl I think I have the right to get a little upset over a "Your mom" joke, for example.

That being said I love it when people get offended when people call them out on how they're being offensive rather than re-evaluating their position.

Also stupid ass MRAs. I love MRAs that get offended it's actually quite hilarious to watch. I think I actually thrive off of MRA tears and anger. It fuels me.

Back