• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

TV What's the worst season of a good tv series?

Years
  • Even the best shows occasionally have weak seasons, be it the beginning, middle, or end. Season 4 of Community, for example, is often regarded its weakest season due to the absence of show creator Dan Harmon. Other people say the first season of The Office (US) or Parks and Recreation are skippable for first-time-viewers. What are your thoughts?

Years
  • loved The Office, but i will concede that Seasons 8, & 9 are the lower points of the show (even tho it was still pretty alright). Michael was pivotal to that series.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • The first season of Blackadder, certainly. Different format that didn't quite work, and then they changed it from season 2 onwards and it made for a much tighter and funnier show.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • I really disliked Season 3 to 5 of Daria. It was a really great show, then it just flopped for me.

Years
  • The daphne's mother and brother era of Fraiser...

The final season of How I Met Your Mother.

The last season or two of Doctor Who. I thought Steven Moffat was bad, but Chibnall's writing is absolutely abysmal.

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina was a recent example for me. The first season was some of the best TV I've ever seen. The second season wasn't quite as good but still up there. The third season was like a different show completely. I like the subject matter, so I still loved it, and it's still actually pretty good, but when comparing seasons, it's easily the worst.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    I think I got triggered because I was going to a different thread, but once my mind registered what the title said I had to double back.

SHERLOCK SEASON 4

where it hit peak Moffat, 'nough said.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    The last season or two of Doctor Who. I thought Steven Moffat was bad, but Chibnall's writing is absolutely abysmal.

Agreed, that was going to be my pick too, but I got scared. People are nice here, but I wasn't sure if they were
    "openly critique new doctor who" nice.

One good thing that came out of watching the new season, I discovered how awesome Stormzy is.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    While I'm at it Season 2 Scream Queens.

Was such a loss to me, the show creator was too busy with other series to really focus on it.
    But because the creator was so big, and because of the huge season 1 ratings, a second season had to happen.

great casting, a good enough setup (hated the retconning though) but the effort and passion clearly wasn't there,
    and pretty much every aspect suffered as a result. That's another to the list of I'll pretend it doesn't exist.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Final season of BBC Merlin is the first one that comes to mind of shows I have watched. Really just... fell off its horse and it's sad when an actor thinks its so bad that they have their character be killed off during the finale.

StCooler

Mayst thou thy peace discover.
    Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    The last season of Sons of Anarchy. The first six seasons were awesome, but the seventh... What a waste :(
    Spoiler:

Years
  • The 5th season of Poldark.

Seasons 1-4 are good, the last season though is disappointing. I feel that much of the complexity of character previously on the show was lost, as was the color and authenticity of the dialogue.

Some of the more colorful characters changed, and in my opinion, not for the better. The fervor seems to have fizzled out of the fire and brimstone Methodist Sam Carne. George has completely lost his shit. I was intrigued by his arc towards the last episode of season 4, but think they have gone overboard with this character now. The vision sequences I found cringey, and I just don't find this believable, and think a good villain has been ruined. The writing also makes my girl Demelza look stupid this time, instead of compassionate by swinging open her doors to likely danger. Geoffrey Charles looks like he's living clean life now overnight instead of gambling and drinking, the actor who played him also inexplicably changed again.

We stop seeing some characters I enjoyed like Judd and Verity, and not with good exits that contribute to the story in any way. They just seem to have had their storylines abandoned, which sucks.

I did not take to any of the new characters. I did not care about Geoffrey Charles' relationship with Cecily Hanson, and was bored listening to them. I hated Tess, and feel like I had seen this storyline before with Morweena's scheming sister back in season 3.

Edward Despard seems like a very interesting historical figure, but his plotline along with his platitude-reciting wife Kitty felt very forced into the story of Poldark, compared to some of the other real life persons we encounter like Francis Basset. They had not alluded to Ross having such a friend and mentor for 4 straight seasons. There's no groundwork laid for Ross to spend most of the season fighting for this character. He shows up out of thin air. This is unlike when Ross was trying to save his friend Ennys back in Season 3. In that storyline we had been with the good doctor since season 1, we knew about their past in the war together before the series started, but we also had spent significant time getting to know this character before his own peril began. He had played an important role in the series as the rational, calm foil to the fiery and impulsive Ross, we were with him watching him help others, and were with him when he needed help himself. Ned has not been humanized to that extent, just hearing about brave things he did off screen in exposition feels like exactly what it is, expository. He was a plot device, and never a flesh and blood character to me.

From what I understand the show's writer Debbie Horsfield made the choice to invent this plot because she had one season left (before she went on to new projects), and didn't think she could adapt the remaining 5 books in such a short span of time. There would have also been a challenge in dealing with a time lapse of 10 years between the 7th book, where the 4th season ends, and the 8 the book, which is where the 5th season would have begun had they followed the novel. So the solution was to write a prequel about what Ross and co could have been doing in the interval before the books began, but I think that was a mistake, and feel it would have been better to just continue to follow the books The series falls apart without the writing of Winston Graham there anymore to serve as a buffer, and plays out more like a Poldark fanfiction. I have bought Seasons 1, 2, 3 and 4, but sadly won't be buying 5 It's a shame, the series was almost perfect. I wish my beloved series had ended on a stronger final note, or gone on hiatus, and returned when it could have gotten the ending it deserved.

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    seasons 8 and 11 of Doctor Who, sigh

seasons 7 and 8 of Game of Thrones, ew

Years
  • I could only watch a couple of Stargate Universe episodes.
    SG-1 and Atlantis both had some up & down here & there, but I couldn't even watch Universe =\

Years
  • I think the biggest villain for me has to be 7&8 of Game of Thrones. I didn't even really watch most of the series etc and even seeing the tidbits of what happened to make it flop was just... crazy.

Back