• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What's with all the hate for Kanto?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2011
    I don't really like Subsuck's way of thinking either (just judging the designs), I wasn't trying to defend him (I think he can do it better himself) and I'm sorry if I made it seem that way.

Now, the reason why i mostly was talking about the designs was because the OPs post game me the impression that it was what this thread was about. Nearly all the critisiscm he gave the later gen pokemons are all on how they look. I just wanted to point out that i don't think that they are bad at all and that his way of thinking is easily contradicting.

Trust me, i never fully judge a pokemon just because of their design. I also like to see what stats, abilities and moves they have aswell. I praised Tangrowth earlier for having a simple design but i also like him because of his great stats and powerfull moves he can learn, like Power Whip for example.

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
  • I think its about time people stop trying to bash GENs 3 and 4 for the sake of it.

if you like GENs 1 and 2 then good for you, but dont complain if you dont have anything to complain about.

oh look this bidoof is terrible because its just a beaver, but then this rattata- a rat is awesoem!

The Jewel of Life

A Gift From Arceus
    Years
  • I could accept them being gods once in a time, but the 3rd gen and the 4th gen introduced too many legendaries, both alone and combined. When I see that there are too many then I don't see them as a special "breed" and can't understand how all of these gods can interact with each other. Maybe that's no matter to bring up in a Pokémon discussion, but I still feel that having too many legendaries makes them washed out and that makes it harder for me to think of them as the equivalents of gods in the Pokémon World.

According to Bulbapedia:

"..."

Not all are really "gods" per se but are supposed to be powerful. And that's why it's weird for me to think of them having these godlike powers.
    I definately agree that not all of them are gods, and I also agree that the sheer number of them can get quite annoying. But I also like to challenge myself with coming up with my own ideas of the creation of the pokemon world and legendaries just for the fun of it, and usually I can make some sense with it and fit in some decent interactions. Having so many legendary pokemon kind of reminds me of the Greek or Roman gods and other mythological people and creatures; there were a lot of them too and they varied in power. I guess it's those reasons that allow me to accept the legendaries.

rockets>u

The Champion of on-and-off
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2011
    Look this is what i think the major problem is, the majority of the younger generation/fans of the new generations just assume that people criticize the new Pokemon because of nostalgia.

For example "I think its about time people stop trying to bash GENs 3 and 4 for the sake of it."

People are not bashing Gen 3/4 just for the sake of it, some people do give valid reasons but people tend to shrug it off sand say "lol nostalgia googles" which just adds more fuel to the flame.

Every single Pokemon has its flaws, however it is mostly opinion, you can't force your opinion onto other people and you can't attack people for giving an opinion, I hate the majority of of Gen IV and Gen III, however there are also about 70 Gen I pokemon I hate, its all opinion.

Last edited:

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
    Years
  • I definately agree that not all of them are gods, and I also agree that the sheer number of them can get quite annoying. But I also like to challenge myself with coming up with my own ideas of the creation of the pokemon world and legendaries just for the fun of it, and usually I can make some sense with it and fit in some decent interactions. Having so many legendary pokemon kind of reminds me of the Greek or Roman gods and other mythological people and creatures; there were a lot of them too and they varied in power. I guess it's those reasons that allow me to accept the legendaries.

Personally, I like coming up with origin stories for all Pokemon, not just ledgies.
    I view all Pokemon as mythical creatures (and even as Greek gods mostly though because in Greek mythology they tend to have more gods then creatures). I just view the ledgies as just more powerful creatures or gods.
    It's kind of the reason I don't like the new ledgies. Not because of how many ledgies there are but because they absorb all of the attention. They take away all the attention away from other Pokemon. Hoenn didn't do this too much but with Sinnoh you have legendary Pokemon mentioned almost everywhere. Why are normal Pokemon seldom talked about or seldom have locations where they are most noted for being at or influencing?

Last edited:

Nyjil da Kid

Jambalaya of Justice League
    Years
  • Hmmm...I'm pretty sure I'll be conveying the same message with this. I'm 16 years old. My first official game was Silver even though I've played Red and Blue. I loved it! My second game was Yellow. Even though it was a downgrade, I liked the fact that you get all of the starters and Pikachu follows you. Next I got Ruby, I enjoyed that you were more involved in the story with the antagonists. Nowadays, I hate playing the game because of the Pokemon themselves. Most of the designs started bugging me and the experience is just weird...I gave to my 18 year old friend and before he got his fifth badge he had a lv. 50-60 Kadabra. After some time, was Diamond and Platinum. I found the story the best, not realistic-wise, but it was engaging. Some Pokemon took some time to get used to but I found this Gen to be my favorite, story and design wise. The Pokemon were the strongest of them all, obviously.
    Now when I got LG, I loved it because it felt fresh and I just enjoyed the nostalgia. Playing it nowadays feels weird because it felt too simple. I didn't find many of the Pokemon exciting and they were boring, IN MY OPINION. I found the story "lacking" but that's just me. Same with HGSS, even though that IS my favorite game and I LOVE Kanto. It's the content of the game that I base my opinions on.
    For the Gen1 lovers, I think it is nostalgia...but one thing I can't wrap my head around is how you can generalize an era of Pokmeon as horribly designed...but that's just me -__-

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years
  • When people attack Kanto, it's not the first Generation of Pokémon they're attacking, it's the fact that the regions layout itself is considered incredibly bland compared to other generations. (Not by myself, of course!)

Also, nobody bashes Johto, as a large portion of the fan-base considers it the best region and generation in Pokémon.

You can't really say that R/S/E version is "new" anymore, but many people, whether Oldschool fan or relative Newcomer, seem to bash Hoenn more then any other region due to the large amount of water routes/low Pokémon diversity.

Sinnoh is fair game, similar to Kanto, and it is neither overly favored like Johto or loathed like Hoenn, though the Pokémon introduced in its Generation are often criticized.

Regarding the Metagross comparison...

I always though Magneton looked more robotic then Metagross.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I consider myself a true pokemon fan since I have been into pokemon since day 1. I will continue to be with pokemon untill the very end. Also, the 4th generation is and always be my favorite. I have gotten sick and tired of Kanto and Johto. Iwould take the pokemon of time, space, antimatter, and creation, over the puny legends of kanto and johto any day.

Numbers

Say my name
    Years
  • I haven't really heard too much hate for Kanto, though I do agree that the 1st Generation is better. I liked the 2nd Generation too and I liked some of the 4th (the ones with the more simple designs, although after seeing Empoleon use Drill Peck in the Anime I started to like it haha). Didn't care that much for the 3rd and from what I've seen, I don't care much for the 5th either. Some of the designs just too complicated for Pokemon.

gregory_turner420

Trainer/Breeder
    Years
  • I dont get why people rip on any of the regions or pokemon, isnt the concept of the whole series ever changing and evolving? i guess people want there simple 2bit sprites, but think about how they might look nowadays if rby first came out now, with this technology, i bet they would be very detailed

Tony Stark

Mr. Stark
    Years
  • It was always my understanding that out of all the regions, Hoenn caught the most crap. :/ ( I happen to love RSE btw.)

Each generation has it's own ups and downs, but not enough to warrant "OMG Hoenn/Kanto/Sinnoh sucks da pogeymans don't look like pogeymanz"

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
  • I've been reading through a couple threads and noticed a lot of hate for Kanto. How can you guys even think the new Gens are better than this one? No, it's not nostalgia, the new Pokemon are just horrible. They have too much detail and don't even look like Pokemon anymore. More like machines. I thought Pokemon were living creatures, animals. That's why I liked it so much, but the new ones are freakin' robots! I know, I know, HERP DERP DIGLETT HERP DERP VOLTORB, but those ones were simple. Simple designs were so much better, the new Pokemon look more like transformers than Pokemon ; eg. Rhyperior, Metagross, and the Gen 4 and 5 legendaries. Mewtwo was so awesome, it actually looked like a living creature. Wtf is a Dialga? Come on. Kanto and Johto ftw.

/rant
    *puts on hoenn and sinnoh flame proof jacket*

you've got it all wrng, no offense, but people don't hate kanto cause of the pokemon or cause the region itself is old, it's just boring.
    QUESTION :WHY ???
    ANSWER: the freak'n region's been in all four previous gens, as in in 10 freaking game. come on. please poeple some change. i personally like the reagion itself but hate havng to go through it everytime a new game is out. i'm gratefull the two orignall games with kanto are already reamade and kanto won't be in any more games.

and for the seond point you tried to make, yes old classic pokemon are awesome, especially 2 and 3 gen pokemon, but gen 4 and 5 are exciting and what's robotic about metagross and rhyperior, their bodies are made of natural materials, steal and rock, they look awesome, so do most of gen 4 and maybe all of the gen 5 pokemon released do far.
    and don't offend gen 4. i think they where the best pokemon games ever and my three favorite signiture pokemon are magmortar and dialga and palkia. still kidding. HAHA

Hiyappu_Storm

Aqua Monkey Storm!
    Years
  • you've got it all wrng, no offense, but people don't hate kanto cause of the pokemon or cause the region itself is old, it's just boring.
    QUESTION :WHY ???
    ANSWER: the freak'n region's been in all four previous gens, as in in 10 freaking game. come on. please poeple some change. i personally like the reagion itself but hate havng to go through it everytime a new game is out. i'm gratefull the two orignall games with kanto are already reamade and kanto won't be in any more games.

You are Amazing!
    I love the region, but it's just become too repetitive and playing through it on almost every game I buy is just ridiculous and I restarted my Soul Silver the first time before I even took on Kanto.

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
  • What people don't realize is that people have subjective tastes. Gasp! I know! Isn't it shocking? But believe it or not, it's true.

Some people like simple, animal-like designs. Some people like complex, exotic designs. Some people like something completely different in a Pokémon design. Some people don't even care about the design and think about the stats and moves instead, or even something completely different. And depending on these tastes, people have varying preferences about the individual generations of Pokémon, because each one experiments with different styles and has a different proportion of organic to exotic designs. This is perfectly fine.

However, people somehow seem not to realize that this is perfectly fine and instead attempt to desperately justify their opinion by bashing the generations they overall don't like as objectively awful in some way, like by claiming "Game Freak are running out of ideas" or "The new Pokémon look like crap" or "The new Pokémon don't look like Pokémon" or "The new Pokémon are overdesigned" or what have you.

Meanwhile, the people who do happen to like the newer generations take offense to this, and to justify their opinion, they instead lash back at Kanto. And then the Kanto purists get even more offended, and start trying to justify their opinion again by creating threads like this one.

Incidentally, I dislike most of the fourth- and fifth-generation designs. Good for me! That means I go on my merry way using the Pokémon that I do like - after all, nobody's forcing me to use any of the other ones - while being happy for people who genuinely love the other ones, without whining that Pokémon is ruined forever or that everything sucks now. Gee, that wasn't so hard.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    (Yes, I know you're a troll, but I'm still responding anyways)
    You do realize your argument is instantly invalid because you like "Giratina" right? Do you realize you automatically fail, right?

NO, YOU ARE NOT A "TRUE POKEMON FAN"
    I DON'T GIVE A **** IF IT'S "YOUR OPINION"
    YOU ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED TO HAVE AN OPINION
    GIRATINA
    IS
    NOT
    A
    ****ING
    POKEMON

DEAL WITH IT
    Oh darn, and here I thought it was a pokemon if it was a non-human organism that you could find in a pokemon game.

So what exactly makes a pokemon?

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I don't like Magneton. I don't think anybody does. All people do is bash on him. But Metagross on the other hand, how many fanboys does that dumbass hunk of metal have? They're both horribly designed Pokemon, Magneton is just about the only Kanto Pokemon I seriously dislike (I don't see why Dodrio and Dugtrio get so much hate, look pretty awesome), yet Magneton gets ripped on and Metagross gets love cause of 3rd and 4th gen *****s. Grinds mah gears.

Oh I don't know, it might because Metagross is a beast in competitive play while Magneton was doomed to UU until it got an evolution (which I'm pretty sure you hate anyways, so whatever. >_>)

My advice is to chill. the freak. out. No need to go off telling us we're not pokemon fans because you perceive the newer pokemon to be unoriginal. Believe it or not, there are people in the world with a different opinion than yours and its fully possible to like GenIII-GenV pokemon for any variety of reasons, including design and stats.

I'll give you a moment to let that sink in.

Now stop trying to impress your opinions on us because you'll just keep getting confronted like you have in this thread.

Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2014
    (Yes, I know you're a troll, but I'm still responding anyways)

Oh darn, and here I thought it was a pokemon if it was a non-human organism that you could find in a pokemon game.

So what exactly makes a pokemon?
    It's a Pokemon if it's not Giratina. Giratina is a transformer, not a Pokemon. And no, I'm not trolling because I'm standing up for Kanto.

Oh I don't know, it might because Metagross is a beast in competitive play while Magneton was doomed to UU until it got an evolution (which I'm pretty sure you hate anyways, so whatever. >_>)

My advice is to chill. the freak. out. No need to go off telling us we're not pokemon fans because you perceive the newer pokemon to be unoriginal. Believe it or not, there are people in the world with a different opinion than yours and its fully possible to like GenIII-GenV pokemon for any variety of reasons, including design and stats.

I'll give you a moment to let that sink in.

Now stop trying to impress your opinions on us because you'll just keep getting confronted like you have in this thread.
    Exactly, it's impossible to use Gen 1 and 2 Pokemon when you're fighting Gen 3 and 4 Pokemon. The only way to really play the game now is to capture mecha-centipedes that can deploy nukes and dragon gods that can rip the fabric of time. Woo hoo, Pokemon!

Last edited:

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Exactly, it's impossible to use Gen 1 and 2 Pokemon when you're fighting Gen 3 and 4 Pokemon. The only way to really play the game now is to capture mecha-centipedes that can deploy nukes and dragon gods that can rip the fabric of time. Woo hoo, Pokemon!

https://www.smogon.com/dp/tiers/ou

I count 21 GenI-II to 27 GenIII-IV...26-22 if you count GenIV evolved forms as "spiritual successors" to their NFE counterparts. Not as imbalanced as you make it seem. >_>

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back